Re: SIGSEGV taken on 8.1 during dump/reload - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: SIGSEGV taken on 8.1 during dump/reload
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 10:57:25AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> There are cases where it would work, and other cases where it wouldn't.
> Given the pain involved in debugging when it's wrong, maybe we should
> just endeavor to forbid loading of all wrong-version modules.
>
> I'm not sure that there's any real easy way to detect this though.
> For V1-style functions we could embed a version number in the
> per-function info structs, but that doesn't help for old-style
> functions.

Given the lack of information you get for old style I'm not sure we
should care. do a lot of people use it still?

I think that if we're going to expand the Pg_finfo_record struct, I
think it could also include (optionally):

- A length field (for future upwardly compatable changes).
- Allow the specification of flags like strict and volatile so the
coder doesn't have to worry about getting the SQL install script right.
- Indication of number of parameters/datatypes
- A description for pg_proc

Ofcourse, then you're getting into the realm of [1]. Still, at least
flags like STRICT would be useful because then the source code can
assert that it can/cannot accept NULLs, so users can't screw it up.

[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-09/msg00476.php