Re: SIGSEGV taken on 8.1 during dump/reload - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Maxwell
Subject Re: SIGSEGV taken on 8.1 during dump/reload
Date
Re: SIGSEGV taken on 8.1 during dump/reload  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru> writes:
> > Layout of GIST_SPLITVEC struct has been changed from 8.0, I'm afraid that old
> > .so is used.  spl_(right|left)valid fields was added to GIST_SPLITVEC.
>
> Does look a bit suspicious ... Robert, are you *sure* you've got the
> right version of pgsphere linked in?  Did you compile it against the
> right set of Postgres header files?

So it turned out that he didn't... Is this a sign that we need to
include a versioning symbol in SOs so we can give a nice clear error
message "module foo compiled for PostgreSQL 8.0.2 this is PostgreSQL
8.1." Is there ever a case where we want people using modules compiled
against an old version, are there cases where users can't recompile
their modules but the old ones would work?