Re: pgsql: Introduce hash_search_with_hash_value() function

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2024-Aug-07, Robert Haas wrote:

> I really wish there was some way to fix commit messages. I had a typo
> in mine today, too.

We could use git notes.  The UI is a bit inconvenient (they have to be
pushed and pulled separately from commits), but they seem useful enough.

https://initialcommit.com/blog/git-notes

"This is what I like so much about PostgreSQL.  Most of the surprises
are of the "oh wow!  That's cool" Not the "oh shit!" kind.  :)"
Scott Marlowe, http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2008-10/msg00152.php

Re: pgsql: Introduce hash_search_with_hash_value() function

From
Nathan Bossart
Date:
On Wed, Aug 07, 2024 at 01:08:35PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2024-Aug-07, Robert Haas wrote:
>> I really wish there was some way to fix commit messages. I had a typo
>> in mine today, too.
>
> We could use git notes.  The UI is a bit inconvenient (they have to be
> pushed and pulled separately from commits), but they seem useful enough.

Yeah, I spend a lot of time on commit messages because they're pretty much
written in stone once pushed.  I'd definitely use git notes to add errata,
follow-up commits that fixed/reverted things, etc.

--
nathan

Re: pgsql: Introduce hash_search_with_hash_value() function

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Wed, Aug 7, 2024 at 1:15 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:
> > We could use git notes.  The UI is a bit inconvenient (they have to be
> > pushed and pulled separately from commits), but they seem useful enough.
>
> Yeah, I spend a lot of time on commit messages because they're pretty much
> written in stone once pushed.  I'd definitely use git notes to add errata,
> follow-up commits that fixed/reverted things, etc.

I think this could be a good idea, although it wouldn't really fix the
problem, because in the case of both this commit and the one I
mentioned earlier today, all you could do with the note is point out
the earlier mistake. You couldn't actually fix it.

Also, for the notes to be useful, we'd probably need some conventions
about how we, as a project, want to use them. If everyone does
something different, the result isn't likely to be all that great.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: pgsql: Introduce hash_search_with_hash_value() function

From
Alexander Korotkov
Date:
On Wed, Aug 7, 2024 at 9:01 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 7, 2024 at 1:15 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > We could use git notes.  The UI is a bit inconvenient (they have to be
> > > pushed and pulled separately from commits), but they seem useful enough.
> >
> > Yeah, I spend a lot of time on commit messages because they're pretty much
> > written in stone once pushed.  I'd definitely use git notes to add errata,
> > follow-up commits that fixed/reverted things, etc.
>
> I think this could be a good idea, although it wouldn't really fix the
> problem, because in the case of both this commit and the one I
> mentioned earlier today, all you could do with the note is point out
> the earlier mistake. You couldn't actually fix it.

Correct, but something looks better than nothing.

> Also, for the notes to be useful, we'd probably need some conventions
> about how we, as a project, want to use them. If everyone does
> something different, the result isn't likely to be all that great.

+1

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov