Best Open Source OS for Postgresql

From
Giovanni Biscontini
Date:
Hello everyone,
 we're looking for a Open Source alternative to Rhel for our VM server dedicated to Postgresql (14->15) installations. We're testing Alma, Rocky, and Oracle distributions as they're compatible with Rhel package systems.
Can you share your experience on a similar choice?
Thanks in advance and best regards, Giovanni

--

Cordiali Saluti - Best Regards

 Dott. Giovanni Biscontini

 [Divisone Software]

  WEB: https://www.es2000.it

____________________________________

Privacy e riservatezza: il presente messaggio, così come i relativi allegati, contengono dati ed informazioni da considerarsi strettamente riservate ed è indirizzato esclusivamente al destinatario sopra indicato, il quale è l'unico autorizzato a trattarlo in osservanza delle norme del Regolamento UE 2016/679 (RGPD) . Preghiamo chiunque ricevesse questo messaggio per errore di evitare di copiarlo, divulgarlo, distribuirlo a terzi e di dare notizia al mittente dell’errato invio, distruggendone poi l'eventuale copia cartacea e la copia in formato elettronico.

Il titolare dei dati potrà esercitare tutti i diritti di cui all'art.7 del suddetto decreto tra cui quelli di accesso, rettifica, aggiornamento, opposizione al trattamento e cancellazione

Please, print this e-mail only if necessary

Re: Best Open Source OS for Postgresql

From
Surya Widyanto
Date:
Hi,

From 2019, I've been using AlmaLinux from version 8.4 up to now version 8.7. This January, I've been trying to upgrade PostgreSQL from v14.6 to v15.1.
When I install PostgreSQL v14.6 along side with v15.1 in the same server, it run without trouble at all, but because I'm using the PostGIS extension, there is one package ogr_fdw_14 than cannot be along side with the ogr_fdw_15 version, specifically on this file:
Error: Transaction test error:

file /usr/lib/.build-id/a0/a43182caa55ed9d3562e2d9b74a1dda150e2c4 from
install of ogr_fdw_15-1.1.3-1.rhel8.x86_64 conflicts with file from
package ogr_fdw_14-1.1.3-1.rhel8.x86_64
because of this problem, I'm currently stuck on upgrading the PostgreSQL to v15.1. Last week, on my development server I can install the ogr_fdw_15 on by using manual extraction of the RPM package to each individual directory with exception the conflicted file, and the extension is successfully installed and detected on the PostgreSQL v15.1.  Next weekend, I planned on upgrading the production server to v15.1 using the same method, unless anyone here can show me other method than manually extracting the RPM package.

May be someone here on this mailing-list have access to the package manager that build the ogr_fdw_14 and ogr_fdw_15 package, and release the package update to resolve the conflicted file, I'll be waiting for the package release update before I rollout the update to my production server.

Best Regards,
Surya Widyanto

[...]

hubert depesz lubaczewski
Date:
On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 09:02:53AM +0100, Giovanni Biscontini wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>  we're looking for a Open Source alternative to Rhel for our VM server
> dedicated to Postgresql (14->15) installations. We're testing Alma, Rocky,
> and Oracle distributions as they're compatible with Rhel package systems.
> Can you share your experience on a similar choice?
> Thanks in advance and best regards, Giovanni

It will be os that you know.

I, for one, love all things debian based, so I tend to use debian or
ubuntu. It helps that the Pg apt repo is absolutely AMAZING.

depesz

Date:
On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 01:18:08PM +0100, Marc Millas wrote:
> Did you check postgis debian repo? ??

Not sure why:
1. you ask me that
2. you ask me that off list

but no, i haven't.

depesz

Re: Best Open Source OS for Postgresql

From
Marc Millas
Date:
Sorry for inappropriate "reply".

if you do check the debian postgis repo, you ll find that its NOT possible to choose a postgis version.
its possible for postgis 2.4 and 2.5, then ALL 3.x versions are inaccessible but one, that did change from time to time.
(you MUST ask for postgis 3 without being able to ask for 3.0 or 3.1 or...  its like asking for postgres 9 without .5 or .6)
2 of my customers reverse to a RH family linux because they have been unable to install the requested postgres/postgis version on debian.
when I did ask the team, the reply was: we cannot package for all cross possibilities (ie. 5 postgres x 6 postgis, less some impossibilities according to postgis matrix)

so...

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

Date:
On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 02:09:40PM +0100, Marc Millas wrote:
> if you do check the debian postgis repo, you ll find that its NOT possible
> to choose a postgis version.
> its possible for postgis 2.4 and 2.5, then ALL 3.x versions are
> inaccessible but one, that did change from time to time.
> (you MUST ask for postgis 3 without being able to ask for 3.0 or 3.1 or...
> its like asking for postgres 9 without .5 or .6)
> 2 of my customers reverse to a RH family linux because they have been
> unable to install the requested postgres/postgis version on debian.
> when I did ask the team, the reply was: we cannot package for all cross
> possibilities (ie. 5 postgres x 6 postgis, less some impossibilities
> according to postgis matrix)

While this is definitely a factor that has to be considered, OP never
said anything about postgis. So, while it is perfectly possible that
they do, and they have to stick to some version that is not available in
debian/ubuntu, it kinda seems like a jump to assume that.

Best regards,

depesz

Re: Best Open Source OS for Postgresql

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 1/31/23 05:09, Marc Millas wrote:
> Sorry for inappropriate "reply".
>
> if you do check the debian postgis repo, you ll find that its NOT
> possible to choose a postgis version.

Are you talking about the repo hosted by Debian or the Postgres
community repo's here:

https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/debian/

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Best Open Source OS for Postgresql

From
Tony Shelver

Copied to the list
if you do check the debian postgis repo, you ll find that its NOT possible to choose a postgis version.
its possible for postgis 2.4 and 2.5, then ALL 3.x versions are inaccessible but one, that did change from time to time.
(you MUST ask for postgis 3 without being able to ask for 3.0 or 3.1 or...  its like asking for postgres 9 without .5 or .6)
2 of my customers reverse to a RH family linux because they have been unable to install the requested postgres/postgis version on debian.
when I did ask the team, the reply was: we cannot package for all cross possibilities (ie. 5 postgres x 6 postgis, less some impossibilities according to postgis matrix)

Maybe I am not understanding this, but have you checked the UbuntuGIS source?  I know not pure Debian, but...

Sent before complete:

UbuntuGIS stable shows PostGIS 2.4 and 2.5 available, as well as 3.1 and 3.2  : https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntugis/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+index?batch=75&memo=75&start=75
Also note that UbuntuGIS is based off the DebianGIS project: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianGis

We run both Ubuntu and Centos servers.  The change to Centos licensing has led us to support it only for one specific application that is embedded in Centos that we are trying to end-of-life ASAP.  At least Ubuntu server has a 5 year support window, and Ubuntu has now announced a limited 'free' Pro option for smaller businesses that provides a 10 year window.

Regards

Re: Best Open Source OS for Postgresql

From
Brad White