Re: Best Open Source OS for Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeffrey Walton
Subject Re: Best Open Source OS for Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general

On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 3:03 AM Giovanni Biscontini <biscontini.g@es2000.it> wrote:
We're looking for a Open Source alternative to Rhel for our VM server dedicated to Postgresql (14->15) installations. We're testing Alma, Rocky, and Oracle distributions as they're compatible with Rhel package systems.
Can you share your experience on a similar choice?

Let me throw my choice into the mix... Fedora Server.

The benefits of Fedora Server is modern software. Every six months, you get the latest release of nearly all packages.

The downside is, you lose API/ABI compatibility. Fedora Server is always moving forward with the latest packages, including past ABI/API breaks. Another downside is, you run dnf-system-upgrade (https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/dnf-system-upgrade/) every six months. It is like Ubuntu's do-release-upgrade.

The real upside to modern software is, you get all the bug fixes, including latent bugs that should have CVE's associated with them but were misclassified. For a discussion, see Greg KH's talk at https://thenewstack.io/design-system-can-update-greg-kroah-hartman-linux-security/ .

Jeff