PostgreSQL 15 release announcement draft

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
Hi,

Please see the first draft for the PostgreSQL 15 release announcement.
This is the announcement that goes out when we ship 15.0.

A few notes on the first draft:

1. I have not put in any links yet -- I want to ensure the document is
close to being static before I add those in.

2. I have left in a blurb about SQL/JSON while awaiting the decision on
if the feature is included in v15.

Please provide feedback no later than 2022-09-10 0:00 AoE[1]. After this
date, we will begin assembling the presskit that includes the translations.

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anywhere_on_Earth

Attachment

Re: PostgreSQL 15 release announcement draft

From
"Daniel Westermann (DWE)"

Thank you, just one remark:

PostgreSQL 15 lets user create views -> PostgreSQL 15 lets users create views ?

>Thanks,
>
>Jonathan

Regards
Daniel

Date:
On 8/31/22 6:45 AM, Daniel Westermann (DWE) wrote:

> Thank you, just one remark:
>
> PostgreSQL 15 lets user create views -> PostgreSQL 15 lets users create
> views ?

Thanks. I've attached an updated version that includes other feedback.

Jonathan

Date:
On 8/30/22 3:59 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> we will begin assembling the presskit that includes the translations.

Here is a (penultimate?) draft that includes URLs. Please provide any
additional feedback no later than 2022-09-14 0:00 AoE. After that, we
will begin the translation process.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment

Re: PostgreSQL 15 release announcement draft

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2022-Sep-12, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> ### More Options with Logical Replication
>
> PostgreSQL 15 provides more flexibility for managing
> [logical replication](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication.html).
> This release introduces
> [row filtering](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication-row-filter.html)
> and
> [column filtering](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sql-createpublication.html)
> for
> [publishers](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication-publication.html),
> letting users choose to replicate a subset of data from a table. PostgreSQL 15
> adds features to simplify
> [conflict management](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication-conflicts.html),
> including the ability to skip replaying a conflicting transaction and to
> automatically disable a subscription if an error is detected. This release also
> includes support for using two-phase commit (2PC) with logical replication.

We avoid the term "column filtering" here; we talk about column lists.
Maybe it could be "This release introduces row filtering for publishers
and the ability to specify an optional column list for each table".
Also, there are docs to this feature:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/logical-replication-col-lists.html

> ### Logging and Configuration Enhancements
>
> PostgreSQL 15 introduces a new logging format:
> [`jsonlog`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/runtime-config-logging.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-LOGGING-JSONLOG).
> This new format outputs log data using a defined JSON structure, which allows
> PostgreSQL logs to be processed in structured logging systems. This release also
> adds a new built-in extension,
> [`pg_walinspect`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/pgwalinspect.html), that
> lets users inspect the contents of write-ahead log files directly from a SQL
> interface.

It's very strange to have jsonlog and pg_walinspect in the same
paragraph.  Also, pg_walinspect isn't either logging or configuration.
Maybe put it under "other notable changes"?

Date:
On 9/12/22 1:18 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2022-Sep-12, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>
>> ### More Options with Logical Replication
>>
>> PostgreSQL 15 provides more flexibility for managing
>> [logical replication](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication.html).
>> This release introduces
>> [row filtering](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication-row-filter.html)
>> and
>> [column filtering](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sql-createpublication.html)
>> for
>> [publishers](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication-publication.html),
>> letting users choose to replicate a subset of data from a table. PostgreSQL 15
>> adds features to simplify
>> [conflict management](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication-conflicts.html),
>> including the ability to skip replaying a conflicting transaction and to
>> automatically disable a subscription if an error is detected. This release also
>> includes support for using two-phase commit (2PC) with logical replication.
>
> We avoid the term "column filtering" here; we talk about column lists.
> Maybe it could be "This release introduces row filtering for publishers
> and the ability to specify an optional column list for each table".

I can update this -- will do so in the next pass.

> Also, there are docs to this feature:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/logical-replication-col-lists.html

Are they backpatched? They don't appear to be here, and a quick scan of
REL_15_STABLE doesn't seem to show them:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication.html

>> ### Logging and Configuration Enhancements
>>
>> PostgreSQL 15 introduces a new logging format:
>> [`jsonlog`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/runtime-config-logging.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-LOGGING-JSONLOG).
>> This new format outputs log data using a defined JSON structure, which allows
>> PostgreSQL logs to be processed in structured logging systems. This release also
>> adds a new built-in extension,
>> [`pg_walinspect`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/pgwalinspect.html), that
>> lets users inspect the contents of write-ahead log files directly from a SQL
>> interface.
>
> It's very strange to have jsonlog and pg_walinspect in the same
> paragraph.  Also, pg_walinspect isn't either logging or configuration.
> Maybe put it under "other notable changes"?

Agree that it's strange to put them together. That said, WAL is a form
of logging (and a very important one at that ;)

I'm fine with pushing it into "other notable changes". Will update with
another draft later.

Date:
On 9/12/22 3:24 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> I can update this -- will do so in the next pass.

I've made changes per the feedback from you, Peter, & Justin.

>> Also, there are docs to this feature:
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/logical-replication-col-lists.html
>
> Are they backpatched? They don't appear to be here, and a quick scan of
> REL_15_STABLE doesn't seem to show them:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication.html

I did a better scan and saw it was backpatched here, post Beta 4 tag[1].
I captured the link in the docs, but will double-check once RC1 is out.

Please review and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1]
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=25996a82a44629bdedeae73b36c37ee35b37e9fe