Re: PostgreSQL 15 release announcement draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 15 release announcement draft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 9/12/22 1:18 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2022-Sep-12, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>
>> ### More Options with Logical Replication
>>
>> PostgreSQL 15 provides more flexibility for managing
>> [logical replication](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication.html).
>> This release introduces
>> [row filtering](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication-row-filter.html)
>> and
>> [column filtering](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sql-createpublication.html)
>> for
>> [publishers](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication-publication.html),
>> letting users choose to replicate a subset of data from a table. PostgreSQL 15
>> adds features to simplify
>> [conflict management](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication-conflicts.html),
>> including the ability to skip replaying a conflicting transaction and to
>> automatically disable a subscription if an error is detected. This release also
>> includes support for using two-phase commit (2PC) with logical replication.
>
> We avoid the term "column filtering" here; we talk about column lists.
> Maybe it could be "This release introduces row filtering for publishers
> and the ability to specify an optional column list for each table".

I can update this -- will do so in the next pass.

> Also, there are docs to this feature:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/logical-replication-col-lists.html

Are they backpatched? They don't appear to be here, and a quick scan of
REL_15_STABLE doesn't seem to show them:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication.html

>> ### Logging and Configuration Enhancements
>>
>> PostgreSQL 15 introduces a new logging format:
>> [`jsonlog`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/runtime-config-logging.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-LOGGING-JSONLOG).
>> This new format outputs log data using a defined JSON structure, which allows
>> PostgreSQL logs to be processed in structured logging systems. This release also
>> adds a new built-in extension,
>> [`pg_walinspect`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/pgwalinspect.html), that
>> lets users inspect the contents of write-ahead log files directly from a SQL
>> interface.
>
> It's very strange to have jsonlog and pg_walinspect in the same
> paragraph.  Also, pg_walinspect isn't either logging or configuration.
> Maybe put it under "other notable changes"?

Agree that it's strange to put them together. That said, WAL is a form
of logging (and a very important one at that ;)

I'm fine with pushing it into "other notable changes". Will update with
another draft later.

Jonathan

Attachment