Re: PostgreSQL 15 release announcement draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 15 release announcement draft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 2022-Sep-12, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> ### More Options with Logical Replication
>
> PostgreSQL 15 provides more flexibility for managing
> [logical replication](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication.html).
> This release introduces
> [row filtering](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication-row-filter.html)
> and
> [column filtering](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sql-createpublication.html)
> for
> [publishers](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication-publication.html),
> letting users choose to replicate a subset of data from a table. PostgreSQL 15
> adds features to simplify
> [conflict management](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication-conflicts.html),
> including the ability to skip replaying a conflicting transaction and to
> automatically disable a subscription if an error is detected. This release also
> includes support for using two-phase commit (2PC) with logical replication.

We avoid the term "column filtering" here; we talk about column lists.
Maybe it could be "This release introduces row filtering for publishers
and the ability to specify an optional column list for each table".
Also, there are docs to this feature:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/logical-replication-col-lists.html

> ### Logging and Configuration Enhancements
>
> PostgreSQL 15 introduces a new logging format:
> [`jsonlog`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/runtime-config-logging.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-LOGGING-JSONLOG).
> This new format outputs log data using a defined JSON structure, which allows
> PostgreSQL logs to be processed in structured logging systems. This release also
> adds a new built-in extension,
> [`pg_walinspect`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/pgwalinspect.html), that
> lets users inspect the contents of write-ahead log files directly from a SQL
> interface.

It's very strange to have jsonlog and pg_walinspect in the same
paragraph.  Also, pg_walinspect isn't either logging or configuration.
Maybe put it under "other notable changes"?