Pgarchives message thread page design

From
Sahil Harpal
Date:
Hello,
As a part of improvement of pgarchives, I would like to ask community about the problems you have been facing in using message thread page (eg. https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20220701002034.GA9030%40tamriel.snowman.net) and also potential solutions that might help to improve user experience to some extent.

Thanks,
Sahil Harpal

Re: Pgarchives message thread page design

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On 8/7/22 9:17 AM, Sahil Harpal wrote:
> Hello,
> As a part of improvement of pgarchives, I would like to ask community
> about the problems you have been facing in using message thread page
> (eg.
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20220701002034.GA9030%40tamriel.snowman.net
> <https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20220701002034.GA9030%40tamriel.snowman.net>)
> and also potential solutions that might help to improve user experience
> to some extent.

There is an issue with using the "Thread" dropdown on a mobile device.
It can be both 1/ hard-to-click and 2/ it will extend past the screen on
very long threads.

Making the thread dropdown mobile-friendly will make it easier to view
threads from a mobile device.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment

Re: Pgarchives message thread page design

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Hello,

On 2022-Aug-07, Sahil Harpal wrote:

> As a part of improvement of pgarchives, I would like to ask community about
> the problems you have been facing in using message thread page (eg.
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20220701002034.GA9030%40tamriel.snowman.net)
> and also potential solutions that might help to improve user experience to
> some extent.

I have two pet peeves: the first is that the "Cc" and "To" lists of each
email include names and obfuscated email addresses.  Printing obfuscated
email addresses seems pointless, it looks ugly and this also renders
these fields illegible when many people are involved in a thread.  Maybe
don't print email addresses at all: like in the monthly views, just
print people's names.

If we think visitors require access to the email addresses, let's hide
them somehow and prevent bots from capturing them en-masse.  Crazy idea:
if you click a name then a popup gives you that individual address after
solving some captcha.  (I'd rather not have the addresses at all.)
Another crazy idea: only allow access to the email address when
authenticated.

Make an exception with our own mailing list addresses: if we detect that
an address is pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org or
pgsql-hackers@lists.postgresql.org, then print just "pgsql-hackers" and
ignore the name part that comes with the message header.

The other is usability of the message-id: I think it would be very
useful to have a button next to the message-id field, such that it
copies the message-ID to the system clipboard, without url-escaping (@
-> %40 and so on), so that it can be used for local message-id
searching; also without the rest of the archive URL.

Thanks

--
Álvaro Herrera

Re: Pgarchives message thread page design

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
> On 8 Aug 2022, at 04:18, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Making the thread dropdown mobile-friendly will make it easier to view threads
> from a mobile device.

On my (admittedly aging) device the headers section extend past the screen for
every message, the list of links under "Views" always require a horizontal
scroll.  Making the entire part of the message mobile friendly would be nice.

Date:
> On 8 Aug 2022, at 11:05, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> The other is usability of the message-id: I think it would be very
> useful to have a button next to the message-id field, such that it
> copies the message-ID to the system clipboard, without url-escaping (@
> -> %40 and so on), so that it can be used for local message-id
> searching; also without the rest of the archive URL.

+1, that would be very helpful.

Re: Pgarchives message thread page design

Date:
Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
> On 8 Aug 2022, at 11:05, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>> The other is usability of the message-id: I think it would be very
>> useful to have a button next to the message-id field, such that it
>> copies the message-ID to the system clipboard, without url-escaping (@
>> -> %40 and so on), so that it can be used for local message-id
>> searching; also without the rest of the archive URL.

> +1, that would be very helpful.

+1, I'd use that all the time (mainly for copying message-IDs into
commit messages).

            regards, tom lane

Re: Pgarchives message thread page design

From
Sahil Harpal
Date:
I have made a few changes in the layout and also added a copy to clipboard feature for message id as suggested in the -www discussion.
I used navigator.clipboard.writeText(copyText.innerHTML); for copying purposes.
This method works well in the development server but not in the production. I don't know the exact reason but I think it may be because it requires a secure origin and the test server is running on the http, but I'm not sure.. Could anyone please help me with this and also verify whether using the above method would support the all stable version of browsers or not.

On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 at 19:48, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
> On 8 Aug 2022, at 11:05, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>> The other is usability of the message-id: I think it would be very
>> useful to have a button next to the message-id field, such that it
>> copies the message-ID to the system clipboard, without url-escaping (@
>> -> %40 and so on), so that it can be used for local message-id
>> searching; also without the rest of the archive URL.

> +1, that would be very helpful.

+1, I'd use that all the time (mainly for copying message-IDs into
commit messages).

                        regards, tom lane

Re: Pgarchives message thread page design

From
Sahil Harpal

Hey everyone,

As all of you suggested, I have made changes accordingly. And I would love to have your suggestions/feedback.

Changes:

  • Resolved the issue of using the "Thread" dropdown on a mobile device.

           1) Hard-to-click, and 2) It will extend past the screen on

  • Removed emails from the "To" and "CC" lists. Added hover effect to display the email address of the person.
  • Added button next to the "message-id" field to copy message-id.
  • Resolved horizontal scroll for the list of links under "Views".

Thanks,
Sahil Harpal