Git is not an acronym

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
Commit 651377933e031 cleaned up references to CVS replacing them with Git.
Replacing CVS with Git in acronyms.sgml seems a bit incorrect though as Git
isn't an acronym (but CVS is, hence the original item replaced).  We also never
refer to Git with <acronym /> tags.  The attached removes Git from the acronyms
page.

Re: Git is not an acronym

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On 6/10/21 7:40 AM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> Commit 651377933e031 cleaned up references to CVS replacing them with Git.
> Replacing CVS with Git in acronyms.sgml seems a bit incorrect though as Git
> isn't an acronym (but CVS is, hence the original item replaced).  We also never
> refer to Git with <acronym /> tags.  The attached removes Git from the acronyms
> page.

According to the README[1] and reference in the Wikipedia page that our
docs point too, "git" can be an acronym based on context. I don't think
it's harmful to leave it in.

Jonathan

[1] https://github.com/git/git/blob/master/README.md

Attachment

Re: Git is not an acronym

From
Dave Cramer

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 at 09:04, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
On 6/10/21 7:40 AM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> Commit 651377933e031 cleaned up references to CVS replacing them with Git.
> Replacing CVS with Git in acronyms.sgml seems a bit incorrect though as Git
> isn't an acronym (but CVS is, hence the original item replaced).  We also never
> refer to Git with <acronym /> tags.  The attached removes Git from the acronyms
> page.

According to the README[1] and reference in the Wikipedia page that our
docs point too, "git" can be an acronym based on context. I don't think
it's harmful to leave it in.

Doesn't seem like a nit worth picking to me either.

Dave

Re: Git is not an acronym

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
> On 10 Jun 2021, at 15:03, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
> On 6/10/21 7:40 AM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> Commit 651377933e031 cleaned up references to CVS replacing them with Git.
>> Replacing CVS with Git in acronyms.sgml seems a bit incorrect though as Git
>> isn't an acronym (but CVS is, hence the original item replaced).  We also never
>> refer to Git with <acronym /> tags.  The attached removes Git from the acronyms
>> page.
>
> According to the README[1] and reference in the Wikipedia page that our
> docs point too, "git" can be an acronym based on context. I don't think
> it's harmful to leave it in.

Not harmful, but an acronym which we explain with the acronym itself doesn't
seem like helpful use of page real-estate.

Re: Git is not an acronym

From
Marc Millas
Date:
you mean something like Gnu s Not Unix ?

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

--
Daniel Gustafsson               https://vmware.com/

Re: Git is not an acronym

From
"Douglas A. Whitfield"
Date:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 at 08:34, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> Not harmful, but an acronym which we explain with the acronym itself doesn't
> seem like helpful use of page real-estate.

Perhaps I am missing something. The two acronyms offered appear to be:

"global information tracker": you're in a good mood, and it actually
works for you. Angels sing, and a light suddenly fills the room.
"goddamn idiotic truckload of sh*t": when it breaks

I don't personally care all that much whether it stays or goes at
present, but again, perhaps I am missing something.