Re: Git is not an acronym - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Marc Millas
Subject Re: Git is not an acronym
Date
List pgsql-docs
you mean something like Gnu s Not Unix ?

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 3:34 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> On 10 Jun 2021, at 15:03, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
> On 6/10/21 7:40 AM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> Commit 651377933e031 cleaned up references to CVS replacing them with Git.
>> Replacing CVS with Git in acronyms.sgml seems a bit incorrect though as Git
>> isn't an acronym (but CVS is, hence the original item replaced).  We also never
>> refer to Git with <acronym /> tags.  The attached removes Git from the acronyms
>> page.
>
> According to the README[1] and reference in the Wikipedia page that our
> docs point too, "git" can be an acronym based on context. I don't think
> it's harmful to leave it in.

Not harmful, but an acronym which we explain with the acronym itself doesn't
seem like helpful use of page real-estate.

--
Daniel Gustafsson               https://vmware.com/