Re: Outdated comments about proc->sem in lwlock.c

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 1:11 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> In passing I noticed that lwlock.c contains 3 comments about bogus
> wakeups due to sharing proc->sem with the heavyweight lock manager and
> ProcWaitForSignal.  Commit 6753333f55e (9.5) switched those things
> from proc->sem to proc->procLatch.  ProcArrayGroupClearXid() and
> TransactionGroupUpdateXidStatus() also use proc->sem though, and I
> haven't studied how those might overlap with with LWLockWait(), so I'm
> not sure what change to suggest.

Here's a patch to remove the misleading comments.

Attachment

Re: Outdated comments about proc->sem in lwlock.c

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
> On 3 Jun 2021, at 04:07, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's a patch to remove the misleading comments.

While not an expert in the area; reading the referenced commit and the code
with the now removed comments, I think this is correct.

Date:
On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 8:48 AM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> > On 3 Jun 2021, at 04:07, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Here's a patch to remove the misleading comments.
>
> While not an expert in the area; reading the referenced commit and the code
> with the now removed comments, I think this is correct.

Thanks!  I made the comments slightly more uniform and pushed.