Possible typo/unclear comment in joinpath.c

From
James Coleman
Date:
In joinpath.c three times we reference "extra_lateral_rels" (with
underscores like it's a field), but as far as I can tell that's not a
field anywhere in the source code, and looking at the code that
follows it seems like it should be referencing "lateral_relids" (and
the "extra" is really "extra [in relation to relids]").

Assuming that interpretation is correct, I'd attached a patch to
change all three occurrences to "extra lateral_relids" to reduce
confusion.

Thanks,
James

Attachment

Re: Possible typo/unclear comment in joinpath.c

From
Justin Pryzby
Date:
On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 11:36:38AM -0400, James Coleman wrote:
> In joinpath.c three times we reference "extra_lateral_rels" (with
> underscores like it's a field), but as far as I can tell that's not a
> field anywhere in the source code, and looking at the code that
> follows it seems like it should be referencing "lateral_relids" (and
> the "extra" is really "extra [in relation to relids]").

It looks like a loose end from

commit edca44b1525b3d591263d032dc4fe500ea771e0e
Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Date:   Mon Dec 7 18:56:14 2015 -0500

    Simplify LATERAL-related calculations within add_paths_to_joinrel().

--
Justin

Re: Possible typo/unclear comment in joinpath.c

Date:
Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> writes:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 11:36:38AM -0400, James Coleman wrote:
>> In joinpath.c three times we reference "extra_lateral_rels" (with
>> underscores like it's a field), but as far as I can tell that's not a
>> field anywhere in the source code, and looking at the code that
>> follows it seems like it should be referencing "lateral_relids" (and
>> the "extra" is really "extra [in relation to relids]").

> It looks like a loose end from

> commit edca44b1525b3d591263d032dc4fe500ea771e0e
> Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> Date:   Mon Dec 7 18:56:14 2015 -0500

>     Simplify LATERAL-related calculations within add_paths_to_joinrel().

Yeah :-(.  I'm usually pretty careful about grepping for comment
references as well as code references to a field when I do something
like that, but obviously I missed that step that time.

Will fix, thanks James!

            regards, tom lane

I wrote:
> Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> writes:
>> It looks like a loose end from
>> commit edca44b1525b3d591263d032dc4fe500ea771e0e

> Yeah :-(.  I'm usually pretty careful about grepping for comment
> references as well as code references to a field when I do something
> like that, but obviously I missed that step that time.

No, I take that back.  There were no references to extra_lateral_rels
after that commit; these comments were added by 45be99f8c, about
six weeks later.  The latter was a pretty large patch and had
presumably been under development for quite some time, so the comments
were probably accurate when written but didn't get updated.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Possible typo/unclear comment in joinpath.c

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 2:32 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> No, I take that back.  There were no references to extra_lateral_rels
> after that commit; these comments were added by 45be99f8c, about
> six weeks later.  The latter was a pretty large patch and had
> presumably been under development for quite some time, so the comments
> were probably accurate when written but didn't get updated.

Woops.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Date:
On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 1:27 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> writes:
> > On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 11:36:38AM -0400, James Coleman wrote:
> >> In joinpath.c three times we reference "extra_lateral_rels" (with
> >> underscores like it's a field), but as far as I can tell that's not a
> >> field anywhere in the source code, and looking at the code that
> >> follows it seems like it should be referencing "lateral_relids" (and
> >> the "extra" is really "extra [in relation to relids]").
>
> > It looks like a loose end from
>
> > commit edca44b1525b3d591263d032dc4fe500ea771e0e
> > Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> > Date:   Mon Dec 7 18:56:14 2015 -0500
>
> >     Simplify LATERAL-related calculations within add_paths_to_joinrel().
>
> Yeah :-(.  I'm usually pretty careful about grepping for comment
> references as well as code references to a field when I do something
> like that, but obviously I missed that step that time.
>
> Will fix, thanks James!
>
>                         regards, tom lane

Thanks for fixing, Tom!

James