Add comma after e.g. and i.e.?

Date:
We are inconsistently about adding a comma after e.g. and i.e.:

    $ cd doc/src/sgml/
    $ cat  *.sgml */*.sgml | egrep -c '(e\.g\.|i\.e\.),'
    255
    $ cat  *.sgml */*.sgml | egrep -c '(e\.g\.|i\.e\.)[^,:]'
    87

I removed the colon because using a trailing colon is always valid in
context.

This summarizes the recommended behavior:

    https://jakubmarian.com/comma-after-i-e-and-e-g/

    In British English, “i.e.” and “e.g.” are not followed by a comma, so
    the first example above would be:

        They sell computer components, e.g. motherboards, graphic cards, CPUs.

    Virtually all American style guides recommend to follow both “i.e.” and
    “e.g.” with a comma (just like if “that is” and “for example” were used
    instead), so the very same sentence in American English would become:

So, what do we want to do?  Leave it unchanged, or pick one of these
styles?

Re: Add comma after e.g. and i.e.?

From
Erik Rijkers
Date:
On 2020-08-25 20:36, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> We are inconsistently about adding a comma after e.g. and i.e.:
[..]

>     Virtually all American style guides recommend to follow both “i.e.”
> and
>     “e.g.” with a comma (just like if “that is” and “for example” were
> used
>     instead), so the very same sentence in American English would become:
>
> So, what do we want to do?  Leave it unchanged, or pick one of these
> styles?

For what it's worth, I am in favor of that comma.

Erik Rijkers

Re: Add comma after e.g. and i.e.?

Date:
> We are inconsistently about adding a comma after e.g. and i.e.:

> This summarizes the recommended behavior:
>     https://jakubmarian.com/comma-after-i-e-and-e-g/
>     In British English, “i.e.” and “e.g.” are not followed by a comma, so
>     the first example above would be:
>         They sell computer components, e.g. motherboards, graphic cards, CPUs.
>     Virtually all American style guides recommend to follow both “i.e.” and
>     “e.g.” with a comma (just like if “that is” and “for example” were used
>     instead), so the very same sentence in American English would become:

> So, what do we want to do?  Leave it unchanged, or pick one of these
> styles?

I think it's fairly pointless to try to enforce such a thing.
Even if you made the docs 100% consistent on the issue today,
they wouldn't stay that way for long, because nobody else is
really going to care about it.

(FWIW, I generally write a comma myself.  But I'm not going
to cry about text that hasn't got one.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: Add comma after e.g. and i.e.?

Date:
On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 03:10:44PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > We are inconsistently about adding a comma after e.g. and i.e.:
>
> > This summarizes the recommended behavior:
> >     https://jakubmarian.com/comma-after-i-e-and-e-g/
> >     In British English, “i.e.” and “e.g.” are not followed by a comma, so
> >     the first example above would be:
> >         They sell computer components, e.g. motherboards, graphic cards, CPUs.
> >     Virtually all American style guides recommend to follow both “i.e.” and
> >     “e.g.” with a comma (just like if “that is” and “for example” were used
> >     instead), so the very same sentence in American English would become:
>
> > So, what do we want to do?  Leave it unchanged, or pick one of these
> > styles?
>
> I think it's fairly pointless to try to enforce such a thing.
> Even if you made the docs 100% consistent on the issue today,
> they wouldn't stay that way for long, because nobody else is
> really going to care about it.
>
> (FWIW, I generally write a comma myself.  But I'm not going
> to cry about text that hasn't got one.)

I wasn't worried about enforcing going forward, but rather if we should
make what we have now consistent.

Re: Add comma after e.g. and i.e.?

Date:
On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 03:27:33PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 03:10:44PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
> > > We are inconsistently about adding a comma after e.g. and i.e.:
> >
> > > This summarizes the recommended behavior:
> > >     https://jakubmarian.com/comma-after-i-e-and-e-g/
> > >     In British English, “i.e.” and “e.g.” are not followed by a comma, so
> > >     the first example above would be:
> > >         They sell computer components, e.g. motherboards, graphic cards, CPUs.
> > >     Virtually all American style guides recommend to follow both “i.e.” and
> > >     “e.g.” with a comma (just like if “that is” and “for example” were used
> > >     instead), so the very same sentence in American English would become:
> >
> > > So, what do we want to do?  Leave it unchanged, or pick one of these
> > > styles?
> >
> > I think it's fairly pointless to try to enforce such a thing.
> > Even if you made the docs 100% consistent on the issue today,
> > they wouldn't stay that way for long, because nobody else is
> > really going to care about it.
> >
> > (FWIW, I generally write a comma myself.  But I'm not going
> > to cry about text that hasn't got one.)
>
> I wasn't worried about enforcing going forward, but rather if we should
> make what we have now consistent.

I plan to move forward with this, and will backpatch it so later patches
are easier to apply.  I think we are fine with adding inconsistent
usages over time --- this is probably only something we will address in
mass every 10 years or so.

Re: Add comma after e.g. and i.e.?

Date:
On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 10:38:30PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 03:27:33PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I wasn't worried about enforcing going forward, but rather if we should
> > make what we have now consistent.
>
> I plan to move forward with this, and will backpatch it so later patches
> are easier to apply.  I think we are fine with adding inconsistent
> usages over time --- this is probably only something we will address in
> mass every 10 years or so.

Done.