Add comma after e.g. and i.e.? - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Add comma after e.g. and i.e.?
Date
Re: Add comma after e.g. and i.e.?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-docs
We are inconsistently about adding a comma after e.g. and i.e.:

    $ cd doc/src/sgml/
    $ cat  *.sgml */*.sgml | egrep -c '(e\.g\.|i\.e\.),'
    255
    $ cat  *.sgml */*.sgml | egrep -c '(e\.g\.|i\.e\.)[^,:]'
    87

I removed the colon because using a trailing colon is always valid in
context.

This summarizes the recommended behavior:

    https://jakubmarian.com/comma-after-i-e-and-e-g/

    In British English, “i.e.” and “e.g.” are not followed by a comma, so
    the first example above would be:

        They sell computer components, e.g. motherboards, graphic cards, CPUs.

    Virtually all American style guides recommend to follow both “i.e.” and
    “e.g.” with a comma (just like if “that is” and “for example” were used
    instead), so the very same sentence in American English would become:

So, what do we want to do?  Leave it unchanged, or pick one of these
styles?