Re: arm64 on apt.postgresql.org

From
David Steele
Date:
Hi Christoph,

On 5/4/20 5:35 AM, Christoph Berg wrote:

> Many PostgreSQL extensions are still supporting older server versions that are
> EOL. For testing these extension, server packages need to be available. I've
> built packages for PostgreSQL 9.2+ on all Debian distributions, and all Ubuntu
> LTS distributions. 9.1 will follow shortly.

Thank you so much for this!

How far down are you planning to go? pgBackRest currently supports
PostgreSQL >= 8.3, though were are considering dropping 8.3/8.4 support
soon. Maybe it's time to let 9.0 go as well, but would be good to know
if you plan to add it.

Currently the distro versions (Debian and RHEL) we are using to test
8.3-9.0 are all EOL, which is obviously not ideal, though we have not
had any issues building (yet).

-David
david@pgmasters.net

Re: arm64 on apt.postgresql.org

From
Christoph Berg
Re: David Steele 2020-05-04 <641d9dd5-2899-c5a3-bb02-290b9240e827@pgmasters.net>
> Thank you so much for this!
>
> How far down are you planning to go? pgBackRest currently supports
> PostgreSQL >= 8.3, though were are considering dropping 8.3/8.4 support
> soon. Maybe it's time to let 9.0 go as well, but would be good to know if
> you plan to add it.

Hi David,

it's great to get feedback on that bit so I know people are actually
using these things.

For Debian/sid, there are already packages all the way back until 8.2,
so it will probably not be hard to extend the coverage to these. It
will need a bit more work because the packages were only made for sid,
and possibly need some readjustments for the other distributions.

The problem with 9.0 is that it doesn't support arm64, but I can
exclude the architecture from that package.

> Currently the distro versions (Debian and RHEL) we are using to test 8.3-9.0
> are all EOL, which is obviously not ideal, though we have not had any issues
> building (yet).

I guess I should put a version matrix into the wiki page with the
version coverage.

Christoph
--
Senior Berater, Tel.: +49 2166 9901 187
credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080, USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209

Date:
On 5/5/20 4:36 AM, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: David Steele 2020-05-04 <641d9dd5-2899-c5a3-bb02-290b9240e827@pgmasters.net>
>> Thank you so much for this!
>
> it's great to get feedback on that bit so I know people are actually
> using these things.
>
> For Debian/sid, there are already packages all the way back until 8.2,
> so it will probably not be hard to extend the coverage to these. It
> will need a bit more work because the packages were only made for sid,
> and possibly need some readjustments for the other distributions.
>
> The problem with 9.0 is that it doesn't support arm64, but I can
> exclude the architecture from that package.

If 9.0 turns out to be a real problem don't worry about it. We can still
do 9.0 testing on Ubuntu 14.04 which will hopefully be around for a
while even though it is EOL. I just rebuilt the 12.04 test container
today and that worked fine. We'll probably keep testing on 12.04 until
it stops working because old OS versions provide extra coverage.

We've done some manual testing on arm64 and plan to add it to our CI
matrix but we're not worried about 9.0 support on that platform.

>> Currently the distro versions (Debian and RHEL) we are using to test 8.3-9.0
>> are all EOL, which is obviously not ideal, though we have not had any issues
>> building (yet).
>
> I guess I should put a version matrix into the wiki page with the
> version coverage.

That would probably be helpful. We figured it out by trial and error
(and peeking in the repo).

-David
david@pgmasters.net

Re: arm64 on apt.postgresql.org

From
Christoph Berg
Re: David Steele
> If 9.0 turns out to be a real problem don't worry about it. We can still do
> 9.0 testing on Ubuntu 14.04 which will hopefully be around for a while even
> though it is EOL. I just rebuilt the 12.04 test container today and that
> worked fine. We'll probably keep testing on 12.04 until it stops working
> because old OS versions provide extra coverage.

9.0 and 8.4 are now there as well.

> > I guess I should put a version matrix into the wiki page with the
> > version coverage.
>
> That would probably be helpful. We figured it out by trial and error (and
> peeking in the repo).

(TBD)

Christoph

Date:
On 5/8/20 4:13 PM, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: David Steele
>> If 9.0 turns out to be a real problem don't worry about it. We can still do
>> 9.0 testing on Ubuntu 14.04 which will hopefully be around for a while even
>> though it is EOL. I just rebuilt the 12.04 test container today and that
>> worked fine. We'll probably keep testing on 12.04 until it stops working
>> because old OS versions provide extra coverage.
>
> 9.0 and 8.4 are now there as well.

Yes, I saw that, thank you!

Now I can test across all the versions we support on my default
developement system. That's very helpful.

-David
david@pgmasters.net

Re: arm64 on apt.postgresql.org

From
Christoph Berg
Re: David Steele
> Now I can test across all the versions we support on my default developement
> system. That's very helpful.

Cheers :)

Christoph