Re: arm64 on apt.postgresql.org - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From David Steele
Subject Re: arm64 on apt.postgresql.org
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
On 5/5/20 4:36 AM, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: David Steele 2020-05-04 <641d9dd5-2899-c5a3-bb02-290b9240e827@pgmasters.net>
>> Thank you so much for this!
>
> it's great to get feedback on that bit so I know people are actually
> using these things.
>
> For Debian/sid, there are already packages all the way back until 8.2,
> so it will probably not be hard to extend the coverage to these. It
> will need a bit more work because the packages were only made for sid,
> and possibly need some readjustments for the other distributions.
>
> The problem with 9.0 is that it doesn't support arm64, but I can
> exclude the architecture from that package.

If 9.0 turns out to be a real problem don't worry about it. We can still
do 9.0 testing on Ubuntu 14.04 which will hopefully be around for a
while even though it is EOL. I just rebuilt the 12.04 test container
today and that worked fine. We'll probably keep testing on 12.04 until
it stops working because old OS versions provide extra coverage.

We've done some manual testing on arm64 and plan to add it to our CI
matrix but we're not worried about 9.0 support on that platform.

>> Currently the distro versions (Debian and RHEL) we are using to test 8.3-9.0
>> are all EOL, which is obviously not ideal, though we have not had any issues
>> building (yet).
>
> I guess I should put a version matrix into the wiki page with the
> version coverage.

That would probably be helpful. We figured it out by trial and error
(and peeking in the repo).

Regards,
--
-David