RPM for nagios-plugins-pgactivity requires postgresql12, is this abug?

From
Bas Gebbing
Date:
Hi,

It seems that since the introduction of the pgdg-common repository, we are having difficulty installing the monitoring tool packaged in nagios-plugins-pgactivity.

The RPM requires postgresql12, but if I'm not mistaken, this package should also be compatible with older versions of PostgreSQL and as such this dependency looks like a bug in the RPM.
Is this observation correct?

If yes, then it would be great if this could be fixed, as this is preventing us from properly installing or updating nagios-plugins-pgactivity

I've also filed a report for this; https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/5418

Thanks, all the best,

Bas Gebbing
Lemonbit Internet

Re: RPM for nagios-plugins-pgactivity requires postgresql12, is thisa bug?

From
Christophe Courtois
Date:
Hi,

Le 21/04/2020 à 13:16, Bas Gebbing a écrit :
> It seems that since the introduction of the pgdg-common repository, we
> are having difficulty installing the monitoring tool packaged in
> nagios-plugins-pgactivity.
> The RPM requires postgresql12, but if I'm not mistaken, this package
> should also be compatible with older versions of PostgreSQL and as such
> this dependency looks like a bug in the RPM.
> Is this observation correct?

I can confirm that check_pgactivity is compatible with all supported
versions of PostgreSQL (and more).

> If yes, then it would be great if this could be fixed, as this is
> preventing us from properly installing or updating nagios-plugins-pgactivity

If this can help, the project provides its own RPM:

https://github.com/OPMDG/check_pgactivity/releases

It depends on 'postgresql' , not 'postgresql12', so any installed
version would do.

Or you can installl the script manually. This is just a single Perl
script with very few dependencies anyway.

--
Christophe Courtois
Consultant Dalibo

Hi Christophe,

It seems that since the introduction of the pgdg-common repository, we
are having difficulty installing the monitoring tool packaged in
nagios-plugins-pgactivity.
The RPM requires postgresql12, but if I'm not mistaken, this package
should also be compatible with older versions of PostgreSQL and as such
this dependency looks like a bug in the RPM.
Is this observation correct?

I can confirm that check_pgactivity is compatible with all supported
versions of PostgreSQL (and more).

Thank you for your reply.

Perhaps you misread my message. The RPM for nagios-plugins-pgactivity that you offer in the pgdg-common repository states a requirement on PostgreSQL 12.

This requirement is incorrect, since nagios-plugins-pgactivity is compatible with any version of PostgreSQL, as you have confirmed.

Below is a list of the dependencies for nagios-plugins-pgactivity-2.4-1.rhel7.noarch.rpm. As you can see there is a hardcoded dependency on postgresql12.
This requirement renders the package effectively useless for anyone using any version lower than PostgreSQL 12.

$ rpm -qpR nagios-plugins-pgactivity-2.4-1.rhel7.noarch.rpm
/usr/bin/perl
nagios-plugins
perl >= 0:5.008
perl(Config)
perl(Data::Dumper)
perl(Fcntl)
perl(File::Basename)
perl(File::Spec)
perl(File::Temp)
perl(FindBin)
perl(Getopt::Long)
perl(List::Util)
perl(POSIX)
perl(Pod::Usage)
perl(Scalar::Util)
perl(Storable)
perl(strict)
perl(vars)
perl(warnings)
postgresql12
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1

This looks to me like a bug in the packaging of this software. When the package was still provided from the version-specific repositories, there was no issue at all in installing this package.

If yes, then it would be great if this could be fixed, as this is
preventing us from properly installing or updating nagios-plugins-pgactivity

If this can help, the project provides its own RPM:

https://github.com/OPMDG/check_pgactivity/releases

It depends on 'postgresql' , not 'postgresql12', so any installed
version would do.

Thank you for this hint, but I don't see the point in building my own RPM when it is supposed to be available from the pgdg repository.

Do you expect that this problem can be fixed? A resolution will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Bas

Date:
Le 24/04/2020 à 14:50, Bas Gebbing a écrit :
>> On 22 Apr 2020, at 09:54, Christophe Courtois
>> <mailto:christophe.courtois@dalibo.com>> wrote:
>>> It seems that since the introduction of the pgdg-common repository, we
>>> are having difficulty installing the monitoring tool packaged in
>>> nagios-plugins-pgactivity.
>>> The RPM requires postgresql12, but if I'm not mistaken, this package
>>> should also be compatible with older versions of PostgreSQL and as such
>>> this dependency looks like a bug in the RPM.
>>> Is this observation correct?

>> I can confirm that check_pgactivity is compatible with all supported
>> versions of PostgreSQL (and more).

> Thank you for your reply.
> Perhaps you misread my message. The RPM for nagios-plugins-pgactivity
> that you offer in the pgdg-common repository states a requirement on
> PostgreSQL 12.
> This looks to me like a bug in the packaging of this software. When the
> package was still provided from the version-specific repositories, there
> was no issue at all in installing this package.

No, I read perfectly and we agree on the problem. Though I'm part of the
team that maintains check_pgactivity, I have yet no idea who created the
RPM from the PGDG and why there is the dependency on PG12 (side effect
of the recent migration ?).
>>> If yes, then it would be great if this could be fixed, as this is
>>> preventing us from properly installing or updating
>>> nagios-plugins-pgactivity
>> If this can help, the project provides its own RPM:
>> https://github.com/OPMDG/check_pgactivity/releases
>> It depends on 'postgresql' , not 'postgresql12', so any installed
>> version would do.

> Thank you for this hint, but I don't see the point in building my own
> RPM when it is supposed to be available from the pgdg repository.

This is a ready-to-use RPM, just do a wget and a yum install. Obviously,
future upgrades will be manual.

> Do you expect that this problem can be fixed? A resolution will be much
> appreciated. Thank you in advance.

That's not in my hands.

Honestly, in this world, « official » packaging is often lagging behind
the projects, and project-provided packages are sometimes the only way
(I don't like that too).

If you're in a hurry, check_pgactivity is simple enough that you can
just grab the perl script.

--
Christophe Courtois
Consultant Dalibo

Re: RPM for nagios-plugins-pgactivity requires postgresql12, isthis a bug?

From
Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
Date:
On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 16:34:47 +0200
Christophe Courtois <christophe.courtois@dalibo.com> wrote:
[...]
> > Thank you for this hint, but I don't see the point in building my own
> > RPM when it is supposed to be available from the pgdg repository.
>
> This is a ready-to-use RPM, just do a wget and a yum install. Obviously,
> future upgrades will be manual.

or just:

  yum install
https://github.com/OPMDG/check_pgactivity/releases/download/REL2_4/nagios-plugins-pgactivity-2.4-1.noarch.rpm

Re: RPM for nagios-plugins-pgactivity requires postgresql12, isthis a bug?

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi,

On Tue, 2020-04-21 at 13:16 +0200, Bas Gebbing wrote:
> The RPM requires postgresql12, but if I'm not mistaken, this package should
> also be compatible with older versions of PostgreSQL and as such this
> dependency looks like a bug in the RPM.
> Is this observation correct?

Fixed. Please use 2.4-2.

Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer