Re: RPM for nagios-plugins-pgactivity requires postgresql12, is thisa bug? - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From Christophe Courtois
Subject Re: RPM for nagios-plugins-pgactivity requires postgresql12, is thisa bug?
Date
List pgsql-pkg-yum
Le 24/04/2020 à 14:50, Bas Gebbing a écrit :
>> On 22 Apr 2020, at 09:54, Christophe Courtois
>> <mailto:christophe.courtois@dalibo.com>> wrote:
>>> It seems that since the introduction of the pgdg-common repository, we
>>> are having difficulty installing the monitoring tool packaged in
>>> nagios-plugins-pgactivity.
>>> The RPM requires postgresql12, but if I'm not mistaken, this package
>>> should also be compatible with older versions of PostgreSQL and as such
>>> this dependency looks like a bug in the RPM.
>>> Is this observation correct?

>> I can confirm that check_pgactivity is compatible with all supported
>> versions of PostgreSQL (and more).

> Thank you for your reply.
> Perhaps you misread my message. The RPM for nagios-plugins-pgactivity
> that you offer in the pgdg-common repository states a requirement on
> PostgreSQL 12.
> This looks to me like a bug in the packaging of this software. When the
> package was still provided from the version-specific repositories, there
> was no issue at all in installing this package.

No, I read perfectly and we agree on the problem. Though I'm part of the
team that maintains check_pgactivity, I have yet no idea who created the
RPM from the PGDG and why there is the dependency on PG12 (side effect
of the recent migration ?).
>>> If yes, then it would be great if this could be fixed, as this is
>>> preventing us from properly installing or updating
>>> nagios-plugins-pgactivity
>> If this can help, the project provides its own RPM:
>> https://github.com/OPMDG/check_pgactivity/releases
>> It depends on 'postgresql' , not 'postgresql12', so any installed
>> version would do.

> Thank you for this hint, but I don't see the point in building my own
> RPM when it is supposed to be available from the pgdg repository.

This is a ready-to-use RPM, just do a wget and a yum install. Obviously,
future upgrades will be manual.

> Do you expect that this problem can be fixed? A resolution will be much
> appreciated. Thank you in advance.

That's not in my hands.

Honestly, in this world, « official » packaging is often lagging behind
the projects, and project-provided packages are sometimes the only way
(I don't like that too).

If you're in a hurry, check_pgactivity is simple enough that you can
just grab the perl script.

--
Christophe Courtois
Consultant Dalibo