Re: RPM for nagios-plugins-pgactivity requires postgresql12, is thisa bug? - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From Bas Gebbing
Subject Re: RPM for nagios-plugins-pgactivity requires postgresql12, is thisa bug?
Date
List pgsql-pkg-yum
Hi Christophe,

On 22 Apr 2020, at 09:54, Christophe Courtois <christophe.courtois@dalibo.com> wrote:

Hi,

Le 21/04/2020 à 13:16, Bas Gebbing a écrit :
It seems that since the introduction of the pgdg-common repository, we
are having difficulty installing the monitoring tool packaged in
nagios-plugins-pgactivity.
The RPM requires postgresql12, but if I'm not mistaken, this package
should also be compatible with older versions of PostgreSQL and as such
this dependency looks like a bug in the RPM.
Is this observation correct?

I can confirm that check_pgactivity is compatible with all supported
versions of PostgreSQL (and more).

Thank you for your reply.

Perhaps you misread my message. The RPM for nagios-plugins-pgactivity that you offer in the pgdg-common repository states a requirement on PostgreSQL 12.

This requirement is incorrect, since nagios-plugins-pgactivity is compatible with any version of PostgreSQL, as you have confirmed.

Below is a list of the dependencies for nagios-plugins-pgactivity-2.4-1.rhel7.noarch.rpm. As you can see there is a hardcoded dependency on postgresql12.
This requirement renders the package effectively useless for anyone using any version lower than PostgreSQL 12.

$ rpm -qpR nagios-plugins-pgactivity-2.4-1.rhel7.noarch.rpm
/usr/bin/perl
nagios-plugins
perl >= 0:5.008
perl(Config)
perl(Data::Dumper)
perl(Fcntl)
perl(File::Basename)
perl(File::Spec)
perl(File::Temp)
perl(FindBin)
perl(Getopt::Long)
perl(List::Util)
perl(POSIX)
perl(Pod::Usage)
perl(Scalar::Util)
perl(Storable)
perl(strict)
perl(vars)
perl(warnings)
postgresql12
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1

This looks to me like a bug in the packaging of this software. When the package was still provided from the version-specific repositories, there was no issue at all in installing this package.

If yes, then it would be great if this could be fixed, as this is
preventing us from properly installing or updating nagios-plugins-pgactivity

If this can help, the project provides its own RPM:

https://github.com/OPMDG/check_pgactivity/releases

It depends on 'postgresql' , not 'postgresql12', so any installed
version would do.

Thank you for this hint, but I don't see the point in building my own RPM when it is supposed to be available from the pgdg repository.

Do you expect that this problem can be fixed? A resolution will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Bas