Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer

From
Dave Page
Date:
All,

Internet Explorer has long been superseded by Microsoft Edge, and even that has recently moved to using Chromium as it's core engine. Version 11 was originally released in 2013, and though Microsoft have committed to supporting it until 2025, as far as I can tell there have been no notable new features in almost it's entire lifetime, and certainly in recent years Microsoft have only been releasing security fixes.

As you can imagine, supporting Internet Explorer has a non-trivial cost to it for the pgAdmin project. Not only do we need to test with it as well as Edge, but we also need to write code, CSS and HTML that is fully compatible with what essentially is a 7 year old browser. By comparison, for all other browsers we typically aim to support releases no more than 2 years old.

I therefore propose that we officially drop support for Internet Explorer. Practically this means that we would not test with it, and anyone reporting a bug with it would be told to use an alternate browser.

Objections/comments please?

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer

From
Dave Caughey
Date:
Check the analytics... I think you'll find dropping it is a non-issue. In my own web service, I found that IE (all versions) constituted only about 1% of my users.

So I dropped support for IE (since it was preventing me from fully adopting ES6), and there was not a single complaint from my users.

Cheers,
Dave

Date:
[...]

Good point - 1.9% of the visitors to the website were on IE this week. 1.8 of those were on IE11. We even had one hit from IE5...

By comparison, 72% of users were on Chrome, 13% on Firefox, with 5.5% each for Safari and Edge.

[...]

richard coleman
Date:
Dave,

Seeing that IE isn't standards compliant and not only is not being further developed, but Microsoft is actively discouraging its use, it is probably time to drop support for it.

I would caution *against* using browser analytics as any sort of proxy for use.  Since pgAdmin 4 lacks a UI of its own, I rely on an instance of Chromium (or Vivalidi, or Firefox, depending on the machine) to run pgAdmin under.  In every case, the browser that I am *running* pgAdmin 4 under is *not* the same browser that I use to browse websites, and so would never show up in your analytics.

Just something to keep in mind,

rik.

Date:
[...]

Jack Royal-Gordon
Date:
I’ve had a similar response from not supporting IE since about 2016. A couple users asked about it and had no problem when I told them we didn’t support it. Mostly, they switched to Chrome.

👍👍

Date:
[...]

Ken Benson

[...]

[Ken Benson]
The only caution is – I’ve recently (within the past several months) dealt with clients that are locked into IE11 – as a corporate rule.

Ken Benson | ken @ infowerks-dot-com

[...]

Understood. Analytics are just one source of information, and certainly not conclusive as you point out. My suspicion is that your situation is not the norm for most people, but that really is just a suspicion.

[...]

Darren Duncan
Date:
If its hard to know how many people are actually using Internet Explorer:

You could make the next release of pgAdmin display a message occasionally to
users of Internet Explorer saying that Internet Explorer will no longer be
officially supported in a future version, and when that version comes the
message says now no longer supported.

You can then see how many people contact you about this to express concern.

-- Darren Duncan

Date:
If its hard to know how many people are actually using Internet Explorer:

You could make the next release of pgAdmin display a message occasionally to
users of Internet Explorer saying that Internet Explorer will no longer be
officially supported in a future version, and when that version comes the
message says now no longer supported.

You can then see how many people contact you about this to express concern.

-- Darren Duncan

Re: Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer

From
Dave Page
Date:
Hi

If its hard to know how many people are actually using Internet Explorer:

You could make the next release of pgAdmin display a message occasionally to
users of Internet Explorer saying that Internet Explorer will no longer be
officially supported in a future version, and when that version comes the
message says now no longer supported.

You can then see how many people contact you about this to express concern.

Good idea. I've hacked up a patch to warn users if they're using a deprecated or unsupported browser.

CCing Akshay for a review :-)

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
Attachment

Re: Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer

From
Dave Page
Date:
Hi

If its hard to know how many people are actually using Internet Explorer:

You could make the next release of pgAdmin display a message occasionally to
users of Internet Explorer saying that Internet Explorer will no longer be
officially supported in a future version, and when that version comes the
message says now no longer supported.

You can then see how many people contact you about this to express concern.

Good idea. I've hacked up a patch to warn users if they're using a deprecated or unsupported browser.

CCing Akshay for a review :-)

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer

From
Darren Duncan
Date:
The patch looks good as much as I understand it, but this raises an important
question:

How should one best handle minority browsers that may be completely modern but
you may not specifically know about them?  Such as the newer crop of browsers
that emphasize stronger privacy or may have fewer identifiers?

While going on a whitelist as the patch essentially does for known good browsers
is conservative, I feel that an alteration would be good.

I propose dividing the browsers/environments into 3 categories, which are
recognized-supported, recognized-unsupported, and unrecognized.

So the unsupported older versions of supported browsers get a stronger message
encouraging a browser switch as they are recognized as unsupported, while
unrecognized browsers get a different weaker message saying they weren't
recognized so we can't determine if they'd work; both can point to the list of
known supported browsers.

Related to this, there could be an application toggle that affects the
unrecognized category where users can basically say, yes I understand you don't
recognize this browser, please hide the warning, or something like that.

Also, it probably goes without saying, but the code/templates will need to be
structured in such a way that the warning message uses about plain as possible
HTML so that if the browser doesn't support displaying the UI in general it can
at least display the message.

-- Darren Duncan

Date:

On 2020-04-09 4:36 a.m., Dave Page wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 12:26 AM Darren Duncan wrote:
>
>     If its hard to know how many people are actually using Internet Explorer:
>
>     You could make the next release of pgAdmin display a message occasionally to
>     users of Internet Explorer saying that Internet Explorer will no longer be
>     officially supported in a future version, and when that version comes the
>     message says now no longer supported.
>
>     You can then see how many people contact you about this to express concern.
>

> Good idea. I've hacked up a patch to warn users if they're using a deprecated or
> unsupported browser.
>
> CCing Akshay for a review :-)
>
> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer

From
Khushboo Vashi

[...]

I do agree with this suggestion.

On 2020-04-09 4:36 a.m., Dave Page wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 12:26 AM Darren Duncan wrote:
>
>     If its hard to know how many people are actually using Internet Explorer:
>
>     You could make the next release of pgAdmin display a message occasionally to
>     users of Internet Explorer saying that Internet Explorer will no longer be
>     officially supported in a future version, and when that version comes the
>     message says now no longer supported.
>
>     You can then see how many people contact you about this to express concern.
>

> Good idea. I've hacked up a patch to warn users if they're using a deprecated or
> unsupported browser.
>
> CCing Akshay for a review :-)
>
> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer

From
Bill Evans
Date:
It is not doing people a favor to help them continue to use an unsupported browser that no longer receives security
updates.

Sent from my iPad

Date:
It is not doing people a favor to help them continue to use an unsupported browser that no longer receives security
updates.

Sent from my iPad

If its hard to know how many people are actually using Internet Explorer:

You could make the next release of pgAdmin display a message occasionally to users of Internet Explorer saying that
InternetExplorer will no longer be officially supported in a future version, and when that version comes the message
saysnow no longer supported.

You can then see how many people contact you about this to express concern.

-- Darren Duncan

Re: Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer

From
Doug Reed
Date:
All,

Just my two cents.  I am the CTO of CirrusPoint Solutions.  We have an Enterprise level Browser-based application that is used by very large corporations as a network management and reporting dashboard. These huge companies are almost always heavily Microsoft focused, and slow to upgrade.  Everyone has I.E. on their desktop, and are notorious for forcing companies to conform to their whims and support stuff that belonged in the trash years ago.

We "officially" dropped support for I.E. when we replaced Flash with HTML5 <YEARS> ago. There was almost no resistance at all.  Corporate IT just installed Chrome, or Firefox on users desktops and moved on.  Everyone knows that I.E. is not HTML5 compliant, and it kind-of works, but sometimes doesn't. In my experience, the only one still using I.E. is the CTO who doesn't know how to turn his computer on, and his secretary comes in and shows him how to start Chrome and that's the end of it.

I can remember only getting one complaint from anyone ever, and when I explained that Internet Explorer was written in a time before the Internet had standards, and now it doesn't work right any more, he switched to Chrome and was good with it.

It is not doing people a favor to help them continue to use an unsupported browser that no longer receives security updates.

Sent from my iPad

If its hard to know how many people are actually using Internet Explorer:

You could make the next release of pgAdmin display a message occasionally to users of Internet Explorer saying that Internet Explorer will no longer be officially supported in a future version, and when that version comes the message says now no longer supported.

You can then see how many people contact you about this to express concern.

-- Darren Duncan

Doug

Date:
[...]

Date:
Here's an updated patch that gives a slightly different message if the browser is unknown vs. unsupported/deprecated. As with the previous patch, the check can be disabled in the config.

Date:

On 2020-04-09 4:36 a.m., Dave Page wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 12:26 AM Darren Duncan wrote:
>
>     If its hard to know how many people are actually using Internet Explorer:
>
>     You could make the next release of pgAdmin display a message occasionally to
>     users of Internet Explorer saying that Internet Explorer will no longer be
>     officially supported in a future version, and when that version comes the
>     message says now no longer supported.
>
>     You can then see how many people contact you about this to express concern.
>

> Good idea. I've hacked up a patch to warn users if they're using a deprecated or
> unsupported browser.
>
> CCing Akshay for a review :-)
>
> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer

From
Neel Patel
Date:
Hi Dave,

Looks like patch is missing in attachment.

Thanks,
Neel Patel

Date:

On 2020-04-09 4:36 a.m., Dave Page wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 12:26 AM Darren Duncan wrote:
>
>     If its hard to know how many people are actually using Internet Explorer:
>
>     You could make the next release of pgAdmin display a message occasionally to
>     users of Internet Explorer saying that Internet Explorer will no longer be
>     officially supported in a future version, and when that version comes the
>     message says now no longer supported.
>
>     You can then see how many people contact you about this to express concern.
>

> Good idea. I've hacked up a patch to warn users if they're using a deprecated or
> unsupported browser.
>
> CCing Akshay for a review :-)
>
> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer

From
Dave Page
Date:
Ooops. Thanks for catching that. Here it is.

Date:

On 2020-04-09 4:36 a.m., Dave Page wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 12:26 AM Darren Duncan wrote:
>
>     If its hard to know how many people are actually using Internet Explorer:
>
>     You could make the next release of pgAdmin display a message occasionally to
>     users of Internet Explorer saying that Internet Explorer will no longer be
>     officially supported in a future version, and when that version comes the
>     message says now no longer supported.
>
>     You can then see how many people contact you about this to express concern.
>

> Good idea. I've hacked up a patch to warn users if they're using a deprecated or
> unsupported browser.
>
> CCing Akshay for a review :-)
>
> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer

From
Akshay Joshi
Date:
Thanks, patch applied.

On 2020-04-09 4:36 a.m., Dave Page wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 12:26 AM Darren Duncan wrote:
>
>     If its hard to know how many people are actually using Internet Explorer:
>
>     You could make the next release of pgAdmin display a message occasionally to
>     users of Internet Explorer saying that Internet Explorer will no longer be
>     officially supported in a future version, and when that version comes the
>     message says now no longer supported.
>
>     You can then see how many people contact you about this to express concern.
>

> Good idea. I've hacked up a patch to warn users if they're using a deprecated or
> unsupported browser.
>
> CCing Akshay for a review :-)
>
> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Thanks & Regards
Akshay Joshi

Re: Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer

From
Akshay Joshi
Date:
Thanks, patch applied.

On 2020-04-09 4:36 a.m., Dave Page wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 12:26 AM Darren Duncan wrote:
>
>     If its hard to know how many people are actually using Internet Explorer:
>
>     You could make the next release of pgAdmin display a message occasionally to
>     users of Internet Explorer saying that Internet Explorer will no longer be
>     officially supported in a future version, and when that version comes the
>     message says now no longer supported.
>
>     You can then see how many people contact you about this to express concern.
>

> Good idea. I've hacked up a patch to warn users if they're using a deprecated or
> unsupported browser.
>
> CCing Akshay for a review :-)
>
> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Thanks & Regards
Akshay Joshi
Sr. Software Architect
EnterpriseDB Software India Private Limited
Mobile: +91 976-788-8246

Re: Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer

From
Darren Duncan
Date:
You have a typo `elif browser != 'chrom'` but otherwise I see no problems with
the patch, thank you. -- Darren Duncan

Date:

On 2020-04-14 7:46 a.m., Dave Page wrote:
> [...]
>                  > --
>                  > Dave Page
>                  > Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
>                  > Twitter: @pgsnake
>                  >
>                  > EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
>                  > The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
>

>         --
>         Dave Page
>         Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
>         Twitter: @pgsnake
>
>         EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
>         The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
>

> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer

From
Dave Page

You have a typo `elif browser != 'chrom'` but otherwise I see no problems with

Well spotted. That was an intentional testing artefact (deliberating causing Chrome to not be recognised), but Akshay also spotted it before committing:-)