Re: Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Doug Reed
Subject Re: Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer
Date
List pgadmin-support
All,

Just my two cents.  I am the CTO of CirrusPoint Solutions.  We have an Enterprise level Browser-based application that is used by very large corporations as a network management and reporting dashboard. These huge companies are almost always heavily Microsoft focused, and slow to upgrade.  Everyone has I.E. on their desktop, and are notorious for forcing companies to conform to their whims and support stuff that belonged in the trash years ago.

We "officially" dropped support for I.E. when we replaced Flash with HTML5 <YEARS> ago. There was almost no resistance at all.  Corporate IT just installed Chrome, or Firefox on users desktops and moved on.  Everyone knows that I.E. is not HTML5 compliant, and it kind-of works, but sometimes doesn't. In my experience, the only one still using I.E. is the CTO who doesn't know how to turn his computer on, and his secretary comes in and shows him how to start Chrome and that's the end of it.

I can remember only getting one complaint from anyone ever, and when I explained that Internet Explorer was written in a time before the Internet had standards, and now it doesn't work right any more, he switched to Chrome and was good with it.