Regarding varchar max length in postgres

From
Durgamahesh Manne
Date:
Hi

please let me know the max length of varchar  & text in postgres

Regards

Durgamahesh Manne

Re: Regarding varchar max length in postgres

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/datatype-character.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

 Hi

Thank you for this information

as per the postgresql documentation

 If character varying is used without length specifier, the type accepts strings of any size

but varchar does not accept more than this

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

 Hi

Thank you for this information

as per the postgresql documentation   please ignore incomplete message i mailed to respected community members

 If character varying is used without length specifier, the type accepts strings of any size

but varchar does not accept more than this 10485760 value

   create table test(id serial primary key, str varchar(10485761));

     ERROR: length for type varchar cannot exceed 10485760

Re: Regarding varchar max length in postgres

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Durgamahesh Manne schrieb am 15.10.2018 um 11:05:
>         On 10/5/18 8:18 AM, Durgamahesh Manne wrote:
>         > Hi
>         >
>         > please let me know the max length of varchar  & text in postgres
>
>         https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/datatype-character.html
>
>      Hi
>
>     Thank you for this information
>
>     as per the postgresql documentation   please ignore incomplete message i mailed to respected community members
>
>      If |character varying |is used without length specifier, the type accepts strings of any size
>
>     but varchar does not accept more than this 10485760 value
>

>    create table test(id serial primary key, str varchar(10485761));
>
>      ERROR: length for type varchar cannot exceed 10485760

Further down on that page the overall limit is documented:

    In any case, the longest possible character string that can be stored is about 1 GB

So the part that you quoted implicitly means "accepts strings of any size  - up to the maximum of 1GB"
Maybe it makes sense to make that clearer at that point.

Regards
Thomas

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

 Hi

Thank you for this information

      ((((as per the postgresql documentation

 If character varying is used without length specifier, the type accepts strings of any size

but varchar does not accept more than this ))))

as per the postgresql documentation   please ignore incomplete above message i mailed to respected community members

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

 Hi

Thank you for this information

      ((((as per the postgresql documentation

 If character varying is used without length specifier, the type accepts strings of any size

but varchar does not accept more than this ))))

as per the postgresql documentation   please ignore incomplete above message i mailed to respected community members

 If character varying is used without length specifier, the type accepts strings of any size

but varchar does not accept more than this 10485760 value

   create table test(id serial primary key, str varchar(10485761));

     ERROR: length for type varchar cannot exceed 10485760

as thomas said that

Further down on that page the overall limit is documented:

    In any case, the longest possible character string that can be stored is about 1 GB

So the part that you quoted implicitly means "accepts strings of any size  - up to the maximum of 1GB"
Maybe it makes sense to make that clearer at that point.

was there any specific reason that you have given max length for varchar is limited to 10485760 value?

why you have not given max length for varchar is unlimited like text datatype ?

character varying(n)varchar(n)variable-length with limit
character(n)char(n)fixed-length, blank padded
textvariable unlimited length

Regards

Re: Regarding varchar max length in postgres

From
Laurenz Albe
Date:
Durgamahesh Manne wrote:
> was there any specific reason that you have given max length for varchar is limited to 10485760 value?
>
> why you have not given max length for varchar is unlimited like text datatype ?
>
> character varying(n), varchar(n)variable-length with limit
> character(n), char(n)fixed-length, blank padded
> textvariable unlimited length

The data type "text" has the same size limit of 1GB.
"character varying" (without type modifier) and "text" are pretty much
identical.

Since data of these types are loaded into memory when you read them
from or write them to the database, you usually start having problems
long before you reach that limit.

If you want to store huge text files, either store them outside the
database or use Large Objects, which can be read and written in chunks.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Date:
Durgamahesh Manne schrieb am 15.10.2018 um 11:18:
> was there any specific reason that you have given max length for varchar is limited to 10485760 value?
>
> why you have not given max length for varchar is unlimited like text datatype ?
>
> |character varying(/|n|/)|, |varchar(/|n|/)|variable-length with limit
> |character(/|n|/)|, |char(/|n|/)|fixed-length, blank padded
> |text|variable unlimited length

It "text" type is a "character string" just like all the other character types and thus is also limited to 1GB

"text", "varchar", "character varying" and "character" are all identical in how they are stored and processed.

Thomas

Date:
Durgamahesh Manne <maheshpostgres9@gmail.com> writes:
>>> If character varying is used without length specifier, the type
>>> accepts strings of any size
>>> but varchar does not accept more than this 10485760 value

You're confusing the size of string that can be stored with the
largest value accepted for "n" in "varchar(n)".  This is documented,
in the same place that people have been pointing you to:

    In any case, the longest possible character string that can be stored
    is about 1 GB. (The maximum value that will be allowed for n in the
    data type declaration is less than that. It wouldn't be useful to
    change this because with multibyte character encodings the number of
    characters and bytes can be quite different. If you desire to store
    long strings with no specific upper limit, use text or character
    varying without a length specifier, rather than making up an arbitrary
    length limit.)

As you found out, the limit for "n" is ~ 10 million.

In principle, we could have allowed it to be as much as 1Gb divided by
the maximum character length of the database's encoding, but it did
not seem like a great idea for the limit to be encoding-dependent.

As the last sentence in the doc paragraph points out, the preferred
thing to do if you just want to allow very long strings is to leave
off "(n)" altogether.

The subtext here, which maybe we ought to state in a more in-your-face
way, is that if you use char(N) or varchar(N) without a concrete
application-driven reason why N has to be that particular value,
no more or less, then You're Doing It Wrong.  Artificially-chosen
column width limits are a bad idea left over from the days of
punched cards.  The reason the limit on N is much smaller than it
could theoretically be is that column declarations with very large
N are, without exception, violations of this principle.

            regards, tom lane

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 7:54 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Durgamahesh Manne <maheshpostgres9@gmail.com> writes:
>>> If character varying is used without length specifier, the type
>>> accepts strings of any size
>>> but varchar does not accept more than this 10485760 value

You're confusing the size of string that can be stored with the
largest value accepted for "n" in "varchar(n)".  This is documented,
in the same place that people have been pointing you to:

    In any case, the longest possible character string that can be stored
    is about 1 GB. (The maximum value that will be allowed for n in the
    data type declaration is less than that. It wouldn't be useful to
    change this because with multibyte character encodings the number of
    characters and bytes can be quite different. If you desire to store
    long strings with no specific upper limit, use text or character
    varying without a length specifier, rather than making up an arbitrary
    length limit.)

As you found out, the limit for "n" is ~ 10 million.

In principle, we could have allowed it to be as much as 1Gb divided by
the maximum character length of the database's encoding, but it did
not seem like a great idea for the limit to be encoding-dependent.

As the last sentence in the doc paragraph points out, the preferred
thing to do if you just want to allow very long strings is to leave
off "(n)" altogether.

The subtext here, which maybe we ought to state in a more in-your-face
way, is that if you use char(N) or varchar(N) without a concrete
application-driven reason why N has to be that particular value,
no more or less, then You're Doing It Wrong.  Artificially-chosen
column width limits are a bad idea left over from the days of
punched cards.  The reason the limit on N is much smaller than it
could theoretically be is that column declarations with very large
N are, without exception, violations of this principle.

                        regards, tom lane

Hi sir

>>> If character varying is used without length specifier, the  datatype
>>> accepts strings of any size up to maximum of 1GB as  i found this info in pgdg doc

I have not used  this max length 10485760 value at varchar in table of db as well as i have not confused about this maximium length of the string for varchar upto 1GB

I have used this column datatype varchar with out using any limit

I have checked with more than above value by creating table test with create table test(id serial primary key, str varchar(10485761)) as an example

ERROR: length for type varchar cannot exceed 10485760

textvariable unlimited length
character varying(n)varchar(n)variable-length with limit

as per the documented text is with unlimited length and varchar variable length is with limit 1GB

So i need unlimited length data type for required column of the table for storing the large values

is there any issue to use unlimited length datatype  text  for the required column of the table instead of using varchar ?

Regards

Durgamahesh Manne

Re: Regarding varchar max length in postgres

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
So i need unlimited length data type for required column of the table for storing the large values
is there any issue to use unlimited length datatype  text  for the required column of the table instead of using varchar ?

Between the two you should use the "text" data type for those columns.  You will need to describe your use case in more detail if you want input as to whether you need to use the large object API instead.

The database cannot store an unlimited amount of data in a single row+column (cell) - you will still encounter a physical limit to the number of bytes able to be stored in a single cell when using text.

David J.

Re: Regarding varchar max length in postgres

From
Durgamahesh Manne

So i need unlimited length data type for required column of the table for storing the large values
is there any issue to use unlimited length datatype  text  for the required column of the table instead of using varchar ?

Between the two you should use the "text" data type for those columns.  You will need to describe your use case in more detail if you want input as to whether you need to use the large object API instead.

The database cannot store an unlimited amount of data in a single row+column (cell) - you will still encounter a physical limit to the number of bytes able to be stored in a single cell when using text.

David J.

Hi sir

 i need to store more values on required column of the table by using text  than varchar

you said that physical limit needs to be stored values  in column of the table

textvariable unlimited length

Thank you for this valuable information

 PostgreSQL is always no 1 world s leading open source  RDBMS

 I request you all community members to provide built in bdr v3 version replication for public as multimaster replication is on high priority  against other dbms

Date:
On 10/15/18 8:56 AM, Durgamahesh Manne wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 9:07 PM David G. Johnston
> <david.g.johnston@gmail.com <mailto:david.g.johnston@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 8:24 AM Durgamahesh Manne
>     <maheshpostgres9@gmail.com <mailto:maheshpostgres9@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         So i need unlimited length data type for required column of the
>         table for storing the large values
>         is there any issue to use unlimited length datatype  text  for
>         the required column of the table instead of using varchar ?
>

>     Between the two you should use the "text" data type for those
>     columns.  You will need to describe your use case in more detail if
>     you want input as to whether you need to use the large object API
>     instead.
>
>     The database cannot store an unlimited amount of data in a single
>     row+column (cell) - you will still encounter a physical limit to the
>     number of bytes able to be stored in a single cell when using text.
>
>     David J.
>

> Hi sir
>
>   i need to store more values on required column of the table by using
> text  than varchar
>
> you said that physical limit needs to be stored values  in column of the
> table
>
> |text|    variable unlimited length

There are two limits at work here. n in varchar(n) and char(n) is the
number of characters that can be stored. Text does not have the ability
to limit the characters on declaration. In the special case of varchar
(no n declared) it is equal to text. All the character types(varchar,
char, text) have a storage limit of 1GB per field. This storage value is
not necessarily a one to one relationship to n as the encoding for the
string maybe a multibyte one and a character may occupy multiple bytes.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 10/15/18 8:56 AM, Durgamahesh Manne wrote:

>   I request you all community members to provide built in bdr v3 version
> replication for public as multimaster replication is on high priority
> against other dbms

BDR v3 is third party extension from 2ndQuadrant, it is not community
code. Elements of it have found there into the community code as logical
replication, but that is as far as it has gotten. You will need to take
this up with 2ndQuadrant.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 9:52 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 10/15/18 8:56 AM, Durgamahesh Manne wrote:

>   I request you all community members to provide built in bdr v3 version
> replication for public as multimaster replication is on high priority
> against other dbms

BDR v3 is third party extension from 2ndQuadrant, it is not community
code. Elements of it have found there into the community code as logical
replication, but that is as far as it has gotten. You will need to take
this up with 2ndQuadrant.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com