Re: Regarding varchar max length in postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Regarding varchar max length in postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Durgamahesh Manne schrieb am 15.10.2018 um 11:05:
>         On 10/5/18 8:18 AM, Durgamahesh Manne wrote:
>         > Hi
>         >
>         > please let me know the max length of varchar  & text in postgres
>
>         https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/datatype-character.html
>
>      Hi
>
>     Thank you for this information
>
>     as per the postgresql documentation   please ignore incomplete message i mailed to respected community members
>
>      If |character varying |is used without length specifier, the type accepts strings of any size
>
>     but varchar does not accept more than this 10485760 value
>

>    create table test(id serial primary key, str varchar(10485761));
>
>      ERROR: length for type varchar cannot exceed 10485760

Further down on that page the overall limit is documented:

    In any case, the longest possible character string that can be stored is about 1 GB

So the part that you quoted implicitly means "accepts strings of any size  - up to the maximum of 1GB"
Maybe it makes sense to make that clearer at that point.

Regards
Thomas