Re: Regarding varchar max length in postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Regarding varchar max length in postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/15/18 8:56 AM, Durgamahesh Manne wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 9:07 PM David G. Johnston
> <david.g.johnston@gmail.com <mailto:david.g.johnston@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 8:24 AM Durgamahesh Manne
>     <maheshpostgres9@gmail.com <mailto:maheshpostgres9@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         So i need unlimited length data type for required column of the
>         table for storing the large values
>         is there any issue to use unlimited length datatype  text  for
>         the required column of the table instead of using varchar ?
>

>     Between the two you should use the "text" data type for those
>     columns.  You will need to describe your use case in more detail if
>     you want input as to whether you need to use the large object API
>     instead.
>
>     The database cannot store an unlimited amount of data in a single
>     row+column (cell) - you will still encounter a physical limit to the
>     number of bytes able to be stored in a single cell when using text.
>
>     David J.
>

> Hi sir
>
>   i need to store more values on required column of the table by using
> text  than varchar
>
> you said that physical limit needs to be stored values  in column of the
> table
>
> |text|    variable unlimited length

There are two limits at work here. n in varchar(n) and char(n) is the
number of characters that can be stored. Text does not have the ability
to limit the characters on declaration. In the special case of varchar
(no n declared) it is equal to text. All the character types(varchar,
char, text) have a storage limit of 1GB per field. This storage value is
not necessarily a one to one relationship to n as the encoding for the
string maybe a multibyte one and a character may occupy multiple bytes.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com