List of "servers" missing the new build machine?

From
Greg Clough

Hi Team,

It seems that the new build server that replaced “poseidon” has been dropped from the list after the migration to the new site:

https://www.postgresql.org/about/servers/

I can’t remember what it’s called (Devrim could tell you), but it had a shared credit between Ipreo (hardware) and EnterpriseDB (hosting).

Thanks.

Greg Clough

Lead Technology Engineer
O  | +44 (0) 20 7665 9787

M | +44 (0) 7803 142 292

Ipreo by IHS Markit

Castle House | 37-35 Paul St | London EC2A 4LS

********* Confidential Disclaimer *********

This e-mail message and any attachments are confidential. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any attachments by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Ipreo immediately by replying to this e-mail, and destroy all copies of this e-mail and any attachments. If you have received this e-mail as part of a marketing communication and you would like to unsubscribe from future marketing communications, please review our privacy policy for more information.

Re: List of "servers" missing the new build machine?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
It seems that the new build server that replaced “poseidon” has been dropped from the list after the migration to the new site:

https://www.postgresql.org/about/servers/

I can’t remember what it’s called (Devrim could tell you), but it had a shared credit between Ipreo (hardware) and EnterpriseDB (hosting).

Hi!

Actually, that's the box called "poseidon".  But I'm guessing it's data actually needs to be updated, so if somebody can provide the actual details we'll get that done? (credit for all machines are listed at who hosts them, not who bought or donated them, the way it is now. The headline should probably be updated to reflect that)

--

RE: List of "servers" missing the new build machine?

From
Greg Clough
Date:
Hi Magnus,

> Actually, that's the box called "poseidon".  But I'm guessing it's data actually needs to be
> updated, so if somebody can provide the actual details we'll get that done?

Devrim would be best placed to give you the full specs, location, etc.  We shipped it to EnterpriseDB in the UK for
hosting,but it's possible they relocated it to the US.

> (credit for all machines are listed at who hosts them, not who bought or donated
> them, the way it is now. The headline should probably be updated to reflect that)

OK, I can respect that as they bear the ongoing costs.  Sadly, it will be harder for me me to twist the right arms to
getmore equipment.  Still, I'll try my best.

Cheers,
Greg Clough.

Ipreo by IHS Markit
Castle House | 37-35 Paul St | London EC2A 4LS

********* Confidential Disclaimer *********

This e-mail message and any attachments are confidential. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any
attachmentsby anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notifyIpreo immediately by replying to this e-mail, and destroy all copies of this e-mail and any attachments. If you
havereceived this e-mail as part of a marketing communication and you would like to unsubscribe from future marketing
communications,please review our privacy policy<http://info.ipreo.com/Ipreo-Private-Policy.html> for more information.

Re: List of "servers" missing the new build machine?

Date:
> ... (credit for all machines are listed at who hosts them,
> not who bought or donated them, the way it is now. The headline should
> probably be updated to reflect that)

If those are often different companies, wouldn't it be fair to have two
columns?  Certainly the hosters deserve credit, but so does whoever
donated the hardware.

            regards, tom lane

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 3:20 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> ... (credit for all machines are listed at who hosts them,
> not who bought or donated them, the way it is now. The headline should
> probably be updated to reflect that)

If those are often different companies, wouldn't it be fair to have two
columns?  Certainly the hosters deserve credit, but so does whoever
donated the hardware.

I think this is the *only* case that this happens, except for one box that was purchased with SPI money and is hosted at hosters expense. Every other case has the same one.

In the end, it's actually the hosting and the providing of the running costs for hosting that's the biggest problem to get around to. Once that is sorted it's usually easier to deal with the hardware. That's not true all the way, but it's the bigger one.

But yes, either making it two columns or making the one column take multiple providers in it would probably make sense in general. We definitely don't want to avoid giving people credit, that's not why it's the way it is -- it's mostly beause it hasn't been needed.

Then there's the general step of defining whatshould be on there. For example, why do we have the RPM building box on there but not the DEB building box... I think this page has generally been handed without a lot of care for a while, so we should look over policies and whatnot.

--

Date:
> I think this is the *only* case that this happens, except for one box that was
>  purchased with SPI money and is hosted at hosters expense. Every other
> case has the same one.

If it's just us, then I'd say forget about it.  We're not greatly concerned about it, and would rather you spend time
onbugs/features in PostgreSQL itself.

> But yes, either making it two columns or making the one column take multiple
> providers in it would probably make sense in general.

If it's as simple as saying "EnterpriseDB/Ipreo" in a text field, then maybe that's an easy solution... but don't go
upsettingEDB on our account.  I don't want to overstep our bounds.

> Then there's the general step of defining whatshould be on there.

If now is the time to consider that, sure, but I presume it's not a very high-traffic page so don't let it distract you
fromthe pending v11 release.

Regards,
Greg