[HACKERS] vcregress support for single TAP tests

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
Here's a patch that will allow calling vcregress.pl to run a single TAP
test set. It would work like this:

    vcregress.pl src/test/recover true

The second argument if true (in the perl sense, of course) would trigger
a temp install before running the tests. It defaults to off, in an
attempt to minimize the unnecessary running of installs.

Once we have this I will switch the buildfarm client to use it. The
previous bincheck procedure is kept to avoid breakage of scripts,
buildfarm clients etc.

cheers

andrew

Re: [HACKERS] vcregress support for single TAP tests

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 4/23/17 17:09, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Here's a patch that will allow calling vcregress.pl to run a single TAP
> test set. It would work like this:
>

>     vcregress.pl src/test/recover true
>

> The second argument if true (in the perl sense, of course) would trigger
> a temp install before running the tests. It defaults to off, in an
> attempt to minimize the unnecessary running of installs.

Seems kind of weird to have that functionality only for the tap tests,
though.

Re: [HACKERS] vcregress support for single TAP tests

From
Andrew Dunstan

> On 4/23/17 17:09, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Here's a patch that will allow calling vcregress.pl to run a single TAP
>> test set. It would work like this:
>>

>>     vcregress.pl src/test/recover true
>>

>> The second argument if true (in the perl sense, of course) would trigger
>> a temp install before running the tests. It defaults to off, in an
>> attempt to minimize the unnecessary running of installs.
> Seems kind of weird to have that functionality only for the tap tests,
> though.

Yeah, you're right, I think we'd be much better mimicking what the
makefiles do and honouring the NO_TEMP_INSTALL environment variable.
Revised patch that works that way attached.

So to run an arbitrary TAP test set, you would do (for example)

    vcregress.pl taptest src/test/recover

On 04/28/2017 08:54 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 04/26/2017 10:32 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> On 4/23/17 17:09, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>> Here's a patch that will allow calling vcregress.pl to run a single TAP
>>> test set. It would work like this:
>>>

>>>     vcregress.pl src/test/recover true
>>>

>>> The second argument if true (in the perl sense, of course) would trigger
>>> a temp install before running the tests. It defaults to off, in an
>>> attempt to minimize the unnecessary running of installs.
>> Seems kind of weird to have that functionality only for the tap tests,
>> though.
>>

> Yeah, you're right, I think we'd be much better mimicking what the
> makefiles do and honouring the NO_TEMP_INSTALL environment variable.
> Revised patch that works that way attached.
>
> So to run an arbitrary TAP test set, you would do (for example)
>
>     vcregress.pl taptest src/test/recover

In the absence of further comments I'm going to apply this and
back-patch it so we can get a significant improvement in how the
buildfarm reports results from TAP tests, as well as increased coverage,
on Windows/MSVC machines.

cheers

andrew

Re: [HACKERS] vcregress support for single TAP tests

From
Vaishnavi Prabakaran

In the absence of further comments I'm going to apply this and
back-patch it so we can get a significant improvement in how the
buildfarm reports results from TAP tests, as well as increased coverage,
on Windows/MSVC machines.

I see vcregress is not processing the second argument passed to it. For example, "vcregress.bat check serial" runs the regress test in parallel mode.
Though this issue is present even before this patch is applied, am writing here because this patch touches the argument passing to sub-routine logic.
Attached is the one fix I find it working for me.

Thanks & Regards,
Vaishnavi,
Fujitsu Australia.

Attachment

On 05/02/2017 12:19 AM, Vaishnavi Prabakaran wrote:

> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 11:01 PM, Andrew Dunstan
> <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com
> <mailto:andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com>> wrote:
>

>     In the absence of further comments I'm going to apply this and
>     back-patch it so we can get a significant improvement in how the
>     buildfarm reports results from TAP tests, as well as increased
>     coverage,
>     on Windows/MSVC machines.
>

> I see vcregress is not processing the second argument passed to it.
> For example, "vcregress.bat check serial" runs the regress test in
> parallel mode.
> Though this issue is present even before this patch is applied, am
> writing here because this patch touches the argument passing to
> sub-routine logic.
> Attached is the one fix I find it working for me.

Oh, you're right, my bad. Thanks. Will apply.

cheers

andrew