SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
Hi hackers,

Currently we don't generate parallel plans in SERIALIZABLE.  What
problems need to be solved to be able to do that?  I'm probably
steamrolling over a ton of subtleties and assumptions here, but it
occurred to me that a first step might be something like this:

1.  Hand the leader's SERIALIZABLEXACT to workers.
2.  Make sure that workers don't release predicate locks.
3.  Make sure that the leader doesn't release predicate locks until
after the workers have finished accessing the leader's
SERIALIZABLEXACT.  I think this is already the case.

See attached 5 minute hack.  Need to audit predicate.c for cases where
MySerializableXact might be modified without suitable locking, and
probably sprinkle assertions all over the place that workers don't
reach certain places etc.  I wonder what horrible things might happen
as a result of workers running with a SERIALIZABLEXACT that contains
the leader's vxid and other such things.  I'd love to figure all this
out in time for one of the later CFs in this cycle.  Any thoughts?

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment

Re: SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 1:51 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Currently we don't generate parallel plans in SERIALIZABLE.  What
> problems need to be solved to be able to do that?

FWIW, parallel CREATE INDEX works at SERIALIZABLE isolation level by
specially asking the parallel infrastructure to not care. I think that
this works fine, given the limited scope of the problem, but it would
be nice to have that confirmed.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 10:51 AM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Need to audit predicate.c for cases where
> MySerializableXact might be modified without suitable locking,

The only thing I see along those lines is that
CheckForSerializableConflictOut() and CheckForSerializableConflictIn()
access SxactIsDoomed(MySerializableXact) without any locking, but if
that's OK in the non-parallel case it should also be OK in a worker.
I guess this is an opportunistic early error path that doesn't mind
seeing data from the past without worrying about cache coherency, on
the basis that it will be checked again in
PreCommit_CheckForSerializationFailure().

> I wonder what horrible things might happen
> as a result of workers running with a SERIALIZABLEXACT that contains
> the leader's vxid and other such things.

What is the consequence of that vxid?  What other complications could
be involved here?

Here's a rebased patch that updates the documentation and adds a test
cast to show a serialization failure being detected when one of the
queries runs entirely in a parallel worker.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Date:
On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 1:51 PM, Thomas Munro
> <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> Currently we don't generate parallel plans in SERIALIZABLE.  What
>> problems need to be solved to be able to do that?
>
> FWIW, parallel CREATE INDEX works at SERIALIZABLE isolation level by
> specially asking the parallel infrastructure to not care. I think that
> this works fine, given the limited scope of the problem, but it would
> be nice to have that confirmed.

I don't see any problem with it, but it'd be nicer to get rid of the
restriction so your change isn't needed.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Currently we don't generate parallel plans in SERIALIZABLE.  What
> problems need to be solved to be able to do that?  I'm probably
> steamrolling over a ton of subtleties and assumptions here, but it
> occurred to me that a first step might be something like this:
>
> 1.  Hand the leader's SERIALIZABLEXACT to workers.
> 2.  Make sure that workers don't release predicate locks.
> 3.  Make sure that the leader doesn't release predicate locks until
> after the workers have finished accessing the leader's
> SERIALIZABLEXACT.  I think this is already the case.

What happens if the workers exit at the end of the query and the
leader then goes on and executes more queries?  Will the
worker-acquired predicate locks be retained or will they go away when
the leader exits?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 2:58 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Thomas Munro
> <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> Currently we don't generate parallel plans in SERIALIZABLE.  What
>> problems need to be solved to be able to do that?  I'm probably
>> steamrolling over a ton of subtleties and assumptions here, but it
>> occurred to me that a first step might be something like this:
>>
>> 1.  Hand the leader's SERIALIZABLEXACT to workers.
>> 2.  Make sure that workers don't release predicate locks.
>> 3.  Make sure that the leader doesn't release predicate locks until
>> after the workers have finished accessing the leader's
>> SERIALIZABLEXACT.  I think this is already the case.
>
> What happens if the workers exit at the end of the query and the
> leader then goes on and executes more queries?  Will the
> worker-acquired predicate locks be retained or will they go away when
> the leader exits?

All predicate locks last at least until ReleasePredicateLocks() run
after ProcReleaseLocks(), and sometimes longer.  Although
ReleasePredicateLocks() runs in workers too, this patch makes it
return without doing anything.  I suppose someone could say that
ReleasePredicateLocks() should at least run
hash_destroy(LocalPredicateLockHash) and set LocalPredicateLockHash to
NULL in workers.  This sort of thing could be important if we start
reusing worker processes.  I'll do that in the next version.

The predicate locks themselves consist of state in shared memory, and
those created by workers are indistinguishable from those created by
the leader process.  Having multiple workers and the leader all
creating predicate locks linked to the same SERIALIZABLEXACT is
*almost* OK, because most relevant shmem state is protected by locks
already in all paths (with the exception of the DOOMED flag already
mentioned, which seems to follow a "notice me as soon as possible"
philosophy, to avoid putting locking into the
CheckForSerializableConflict(In|Out) paths, with a definitive check at
commit time).

But... there is a problem with the management of the linked list of
predicate locks held by a transactions.  The locks themselves are
covered by partition locks, but the links are not, and that previous
patch broke the assumption that they could never be changed by another
process.

Specifically, DeleteChildTargetLocks() assumes it can walk
MySerializableXact->predicateLocks and throw away locks that are
covered by a new lock (ie throw away tuple locks because a covering
page lock has been acquired) without let or hindrance until it needs
to modify the locks themselves.  That assumption doesn't hold up with
that last patch and will require a new kind of mutual exclusion.  I
wonder if the solution is to introduce an LWLock into each
SERIALIZABLEXACT object, so DeleteChildTargetLocks() can prevent
workers from stepping on each others' toes during lock cleanup.  An
alternative would be to start taking SerializablePredicateLockListLock
in exclusive rather than shared mode, but that seems unnecessarily
course.

I have a patch that implements the above but I'm still figuring out
how to test it, and I'll need to do a bit more poking around for other
similar assumptions before I post a new version.

I tried to find any way that LocalPredicateLockHash could create
problems, but it's effectively a cache with
false-negatives-but-never-false-positives semantics.  In cache-miss
scenarios it we look in shmem data structures and are prepared to find
that our SERIALIZABLEXACT already has the predicate lock even though
there was a cache miss in LocalPredicateLockHash.  That works because
our SERIALIZABLEXACT's address is part of the tag, and it's stable
across backends.

Random observation:  The global variable MyXactDidWrite would probably
need to move into shared memory when parallel workers eventually learn
to write.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 6:19 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Specifically, DeleteChildTargetLocks() assumes it can walk
> MySerializableXact->predicateLocks and throw away locks that are
> covered by a new lock (ie throw away tuple locks because a covering
> page lock has been acquired) without let or hindrance until it needs
> to modify the locks themselves.  That assumption doesn't hold up with
> that last patch and will require a new kind of mutual exclusion.  I
> wonder if the solution is to introduce an LWLock into each
> SERIALIZABLEXACT object, so DeleteChildTargetLocks() can prevent
> workers from stepping on each others' toes during lock cleanup.  An
> alternative would be to start taking SerializablePredicateLockListLock
> in exclusive rather than shared mode, but that seems unnecessarily
> coarse.

Here is a patch to do that, for discussion.  It adds an LWLock to each
SERIALIZABLEXACT, and acquires it after SerializablePredicateListLock
and before any predicate lock partition lock.  It doesn't bother with
that if not in parallel mode, or in the cases where
SerializablePredicateListLock is held exclusively.  This prevents
parallel query workers and leader from stepping on each others' toes
when manipulating the predicate list.

The case in CheckTargetForConflictsIn is theoretical for now since we
don't support writing in parallel query yet.  The case in
CreatePredicateLock is reachable by running a simple parallel
sequential scan.  The case in DeleteChildTargetLocks is for when we've
acquired a new predicate lock that covers finer grained locks which
can be dropped; that is reachable the same way again.  I don't think
it's required in ReleaseOneSerializableXact since it was already
called in several places with an sxact other than the caller's, and
deals with finished transactions.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 12:55 AM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 6:19 PM, Thomas Munro
> <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> Specifically, DeleteChildTargetLocks() assumes it can walk
>> MySerializableXact->predicateLocks and throw away locks that are
>> covered by a new lock (ie throw away tuple locks because a covering
>> page lock has been acquired) without let or hindrance until it needs
>> to modify the locks themselves.  That assumption doesn't hold up with
>> that last patch and will require a new kind of mutual exclusion.  I
>> wonder if the solution is to introduce an LWLock into each
>> SERIALIZABLEXACT object, so DeleteChildTargetLocks() can prevent
>> workers from stepping on each others' toes during lock cleanup.  An
>> alternative would be to start taking SerializablePredicateLockListLock
>> in exclusive rather than shared mode, but that seems unnecessarily
>> coarse.
>
> Here is a patch to do that, for discussion.  It adds an LWLock to each
> SERIALIZABLEXACT, and acquires it after SerializablePredicateListLock
> and before any predicate lock partition lock.  It doesn't bother with
> that if not in parallel mode, or in the cases where
> SerializablePredicateListLock is held exclusively.  This prevents
> parallel query workers and leader from stepping on each others' toes
> when manipulating the predicate list.
>
> The case in CheckTargetForConflictsIn is theoretical for now since we
> don't support writing in parallel query yet.  The case in
> CreatePredicateLock is reachable by running a simple parallel
> sequential scan.  The case in DeleteChildTargetLocks is for when we've
> acquired a new predicate lock that covers finer grained locks which
> can be dropped; that is reachable the same way again.  I don't think
> it's required in ReleaseOneSerializableXact since it was already
> called in several places with an sxact other than the caller's, and
> deals with finished transactions.

I don't think I know enough about the serializable code to review
this, or at least not quickly, but it seems very cool if it works.
Have you checked what effect it has on shared memory consumption?

--

Date:
On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think I know enough about the serializable code to review
> this, or at least not quickly, but it seems very cool if it works.
> Have you checked what effect it has on shared memory consumption?

I'm not sure how to test that.  Kevin, can you provide any pointers to
the test workloads you guys used when developing SSI?  In theory shmem
usage shouldn't change, since the predicate locks are shared by the
cooperating backends.  It might be able to use a bit more by creating
finer grain locks in worker A that are already covered by coarse
grained locks acquired by worker B or something like that, but it
seems unlikely if they tend to scan disjoint sets of pages.

Here is a rebased patch.

I should explain the included isolation test.  It's almost the same as
the SERIALIZABLE variant that I submitted for
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/13/949/.  That is a useful test here
because it's a serialisation anomaly that involves a read-only query.
In this version we run that query (s3r) in a parallel worker, and the
query plan comes out like this:

Gather  (cost=1013.67..1013.87 rows=2 width=64)
  Workers Planned: 1
  Single Copy: true
  ->  Sort  (cost=13.67..13.67 rows=2 width=64)
        Sort Key: id
        ->  Bitmap Heap Scan on bank_account  (cost=8.32..13.66 rows=2 width=64)
              Recheck Cond: (id = ANY ('{X,Y}'::text[]))
              ->  Bitmap Index Scan on bank_account_pkey
(cost=0.00..8.32 rows=2 width=0)
                    Index Cond: (id = ANY ('{X,Y}'::text[]))

A dangerous cycle is detected, confirming that reads done by the
worker participate correctly in predicate locking and conflict
detection:

step s2wx: UPDATE bank_account SET balance = -11 WHERE id = 'X';
ERROR:  could not serialize access due to read/write dependencies
among transactions

It's probably too late for this WIP patch to get the kind of review
and testing it needs for PostgreSQL 10.  That's OK, but think it might
be a strategically good idea to get parallel SSI support (whether with
this or some other approach) into the tree before people start showing
up with parallel write patches.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Hi,

On 2017-03-11 15:19:23 +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> Here is a rebased patch.

It seems that this patch is still undergoing development, review and
performance evaluation.  Therefore it seems like it'd be a bad idea to
try to get this into v10.  Any arguments against moving this to the next
CF?

- Andres

Date:
On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 6:41 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2017-03-11 15:19:23 +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> Here is a rebased patch.
>
> It seems that this patch is still undergoing development, review and
> performance evaluation.  Therefore it seems like it'd be a bad idea to
> try to get this into v10.  Any arguments against moving this to the next
> CF?

None, and done.

It would be good to get some feedback from Kevin on whether this is a
reasonable approach, but considering that these data structures may
finish up being redesigned as part of the GSoC project[1], it may be
best to wait and see where that goes before doing anything.  I'll
follow developments there, and if this patch remains relevant I'll
plan to do some more work on it including testing (possibly with the
RUBiS benchmark from Kevin and Dan's paper since it seems the most
likely to be able to really use parallelism) for PG11 CF1.

[1]
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/GSoC_2017#Eliminate_O.28N.5E2.29_scaling_from_rw-conflict_tracking_in_serializable_transactions

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Kevin Grittner
Date:
On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 8:19 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think I know enough about the serializable code to review
>> this, or at least not quickly, but it seems very cool if it works.
>> Have you checked what effect it has on shared memory consumption?
>
> I'm not sure how to test that.  Kevin, can you provide any pointers to
> the test workloads you guys used when developing SSI?

During development there was first and foremost the set of tests
which wound up implemented in the isolation testing environment
developed by Heikki, although for most of the development cycle
these tests were run by a python tool written by Markus Wanner
(which was not as fast as Heikki's C-based tool, but provided a lot
more detail in case of failure -- so it was very nice to have until
we got down to polishing things).

The final stress test to chase out race conditions and the
performance benchmarks were all run by Dan Ports on big test
machines at MIT.  I'm not sure how much I can say to elaborate on
what is in section 8 of this paper:

http://vldb.org/pvldb/vol5/p1850_danrkports_vldb2012.pdf

I seem to remember that he had some saturation run versions of the
"DBT-2++" tests, modified to monitor for serialization anomalies
missed by the implementation, which he sometimes ran for days at a
time on MIT testing machines.  There were some very narrow race
conditions uncovered by this testing, which at high concurrency on a
16 core machine might hit a particular problem less often than once
per day.

I also remember that both Anssi Kääriäinen and Yamamoto Takahashi
did a lot of valuable testing of the patch and found problems that
we had missed.  Perhaps they can describe their testing or make
other suggestions.

--
Kevin Grittner

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> ... but considering that these data structures may
> finish up being redesigned as part of the GSoC project[1], it may be
> best to wait and see where that goes before doing anything.  I'll
> follow developments there, and if this patch remains relevant I'll
> plan to do some more work on it including testing (possibly with the
> RUBiS benchmark from Kevin and Dan's paper since it seems the most
> likely to be able to really use parallelism) for PG11 CF1.

I've been keeping one eye on the GSoC project.  That patch changes the
inConflicts and outConflicts data structures, but not the locking
protocol.  This patch works by introducing per-SERIALIZABLEXACT
locking in the places where the code currently assumes that the
current backend is the only one that could modify a shared data
structure (namely MySerializableXact->predicateLocks), so that
MySerializableXact can be shared with workers.  There doesn't seem to
be any incompatibility or dependency so far, so here's a rebased
patch.  Testing needed.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> [ssi-parallel-v5.patch]

Rebased.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 5:11 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Thomas Munro
> <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> [ssi-parallel-v5.patch]
>
> Rebased.

Rebased again.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Haribabu Kommi

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 5:11 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Thomas Munro
> <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> [ssi-parallel-v5.patch]
>
> Rebased.

Rebased again.

During testing of this patch, I found some behavior difference
with the support of parallel query, while experimenting with the provided
test case in the patch.

But I tested the V6 patch, and I don't think that this version contains
any fixes other than rebase.

Test steps:

CREATE TABLE bank_account (id TEXT PRIMARY KEY, balance DECIMAL NOT NULL);
INSERT INTO bank_account (id, balance) VALUES ('X', 0), ('Y', 0);

Session -1:

BEGIN TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE;
SELECT balance FROM bank_account WHERE id = 'Y';

Session -2:

BEGIN TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE;
SET max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 2;
SET force_parallel_mode = on;
set parallel_setup_cost = 0;
set parallel_tuple_cost = 0;
set min_parallel_table_scan_size = 0;
set enable_indexscan = off;
set enable_bitmapscan = off;

SELECT balance FROM bank_account WHERE id = 'X';

Session -1:

update bank_account set balance = 10 where id = 'X';

Session -2:

update bank_account set balance = 10 where id = 'Y';
ERROR:  could not serialize access due to read/write dependencies among transactions
DETAIL:  Reason code: Canceled on identification as a pivot, during write.
HINT:  The transaction might succeed if retried.

Without the parallel query of select statement in session-2,
the update statement in session-2 is passed.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 1:47 PM, Haribabu Kommi
<kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:
> During testing of this patch, I found some behavior difference
> with the support of parallel query, while experimenting with the provided
> test case in the patch.
>
> But I tested the V6 patch, and I don't think that this version contains
> any fixes other than rebase.
>
> Test steps:
>
> CREATE TABLE bank_account (id TEXT PRIMARY KEY, balance DECIMAL NOT NULL);
> INSERT INTO bank_account (id, balance) VALUES ('X', 0), ('Y', 0);
>
> Session -1:
>
> BEGIN TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE;
> SELECT balance FROM bank_account WHERE id = 'Y';
>
> Session -2:
>
> BEGIN TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE;
> SET max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 2;
> SET force_parallel_mode = on;
> set parallel_setup_cost = 0;
> set parallel_tuple_cost = 0;
> set min_parallel_table_scan_size = 0;
> set enable_indexscan = off;
> set enable_bitmapscan = off;
>
> SELECT balance FROM bank_account WHERE id = 'X';
>
> Session -1:
>
> update bank_account set balance = 10 where id = 'X';
>
> Session -2:
>
> update bank_account set balance = 10 where id = 'Y';
> ERROR:  could not serialize access due to read/write dependencies among
> transactions
> DETAIL:  Reason code: Canceled on identification as a pivot, during write.
> HINT:  The transaction might succeed if retried.
>
> Without the parallel query of select statement in session-2,
> the update statement in session-2 is passed.

Hi Haribabu,

Thanks for looking at this!

Yeah.  The difference seems to be that session 2 chooses a Parallel
Seq Scan instead of an Index Scan when you flip all those GUCs into
parallelism-is-free mode.  Seq Scan takes a table-level predicate lock
(see heap_beginscan_internal()).  But if you continue your example in
non-parallel mode (patched or unpatched), you'll find that only one of
those transactions can commit successfully.

Using the fancy notation in the papers about this stuff where w1[x=42]
means "write by transaction 1 on object x with value 42", let's see if
there is an apparent sequential order of these transactions that makes
sense:

Actual order: r1[Y=0] r2[X=0] w1[X=10] w2[Y=10] ... some commit order ...
Apparent order A: r2[X=0] w2[Y=10] c2 r1[Y=0*] w1[X=10] c1 (*nonsense)
Apparent order B: r1[Y=0] w1[X=10] c1 r2[X=0*] w2[Y=10] c2 (*nonsense)

Both potential commit orders are nonsensical.  I think what happened
in your example was that a Seq Scan allowed the SSI algorithm to
reject a transaction sooner.  Instead of r2[X=0], the executor sees
r2[X=0,Y=0] (we scanned the whole table, as if we read all objects, in
this case X and Y, even though we only asked to read X).  Then the SSI
algorithm is able to detect a "dangerous structure" at w2[Y=10],
instead of later at commit time.

So I don't think this indicates a problem with the patch.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 4:13 PM, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 1:47 PM, Haribabu Kommi
<kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:
> During testing of this patch, I found some behavior difference
> with the support of parallel query, while experimenting with the provided
> test case in the patch.
>
> But I tested the V6 patch, and I don't think that this version contains
> any fixes other than rebase.
>
> Test steps:
>
> CREATE TABLE bank_account (id TEXT PRIMARY KEY, balance DECIMAL NOT NULL);
> INSERT INTO bank_account (id, balance) VALUES ('X', 0), ('Y', 0);
>
> Session -1:
>
> BEGIN TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE;
> SELECT balance FROM bank_account WHERE id = 'Y';
>
> Session -2:
>
> BEGIN TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE;
> SET max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 2;
> SET force_parallel_mode = on;
> set parallel_setup_cost = 0;
> set parallel_tuple_cost = 0;
> set min_parallel_table_scan_size = 0;
> set enable_indexscan = off;
> set enable_bitmapscan = off;
>
> SELECT balance FROM bank_account WHERE id = 'X';
>
> Session -1:
>
> update bank_account set balance = 10 where id = 'X';
>
> Session -2:
>
> update bank_account set balance = 10 where id = 'Y';
> ERROR:  could not serialize access due to read/write dependencies among
> transactions
> DETAIL:  Reason code: Canceled on identification as a pivot, during write.
> HINT:  The transaction might succeed if retried.
>
> Without the parallel query of select statement in session-2,
> the update statement in session-2 is passed.

Hi Thomas,

Yeah.  The difference seems to be that session 2 chooses a Parallel
Seq Scan instead of an Index Scan when you flip all those GUCs into
parallelism-is-free mode.  Seq Scan takes a table-level predicate lock
(see heap_beginscan_internal()).  But if you continue your example in
non-parallel mode (patched or unpatched), you'll find that only one of
those transactions can commit successfully.

Yes, That's correct. Only one commit can be successful.

[...]

Thanks for explaining with more details, now I can understand some more
about serialization.

After I tune the GUC to go with sequence scan, still I am not getting the error
in the session-2 for update operation like it used to generate an error for parallel
sequential scan, and also it even takes some many commands until unless the S1
commits.

I am just thinking that with parallel sequential scan with serialize isolation,
the user has lost the control of committing the desired session. I may be thinking
a rare and never happen scenario.

I will continue my review on the latest patch and share any updates.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 8:37 PM, Haribabu Kommi
<kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:
> After I tune the GUC to go with sequence scan, still I am not getting the
> error
> in the session-2 for update operation like it used to generate an error for
> parallel
> sequential scan, and also it even takes some many commands until unless the
> S1
> commits.

Hmm.  Then this requires more explanation because I don't expect a
difference.  I did some digging and realised that the error detail
message "Reason code: Canceled on identification as a pivot, during
write." was reached in a code path that requires
SxactIsPrepared(writer) and also MySerializableXact == writer, which
means that the process believes it is committing.  Clearly something
is wrong.  After some more digging I realised that
ParallelWorkerMain() calls EndParallelWorkerTransaction() which calls
CommitTransaction() which calls
PreCommit_CheckForSerializationFailure().  Since the worker is
connected to the leader's SERIALIZABLEXACT, that finishes up being
marked as preparing to commit (not true!), and then the leader get
confused during that write, causing a serialization failure to be
raised sooner (though I can't explain why it should be raised then
anyway, but that's another topic).  Oops.  I think the fix here is
just not to do that in a worker (the worker's CommitTransaction()
doesn't really mean what it says).

Here's a version with a change that makes that conditional.  This way
your test case behaves the same as non-parallel mode.

> I will continue my review on the latest patch and share any updates.

Thanks!

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 6:57 PM, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 8:37 PM, Haribabu Kommi
<kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:
> After I tune the GUC to go with sequence scan, still I am not getting the
> error
> in the session-2 for update operation like it used to generate an error for
> parallel
> sequential scan, and also it even takes some many commands until unless the
> S1
> commits.

Hmm.  Then this requires more explanation because I don't expect a
difference.  I did some digging and realised that the error detail
message "Reason code: Canceled on identification as a pivot, during
write." was reached in a code path that requires
SxactIsPrepared(writer) and also MySerializableXact == writer, which
means that the process believes it is committing.  Clearly something
is wrong.  After some more digging I realised that
ParallelWorkerMain() calls EndParallelWorkerTransaction() which calls
CommitTransaction() which calls
PreCommit_CheckForSerializationFailure().  Since the worker is
connected to the leader's SERIALIZABLEXACT, that finishes up being
marked as preparing to commit (not true!), and then the leader get
confused during that write, causing a serialization failure to be
raised sooner (though I can't explain why it should be raised then
anyway, but that's another topic).  Oops.  I think the fix here is
just not to do that in a worker (the worker's CommitTransaction()
doesn't really mean what it says).

Here's a version with a change that makes that conditional.  This way
your test case behaves the same as non-parallel mode.

With the latest patch, I didn't find any problems.

> I will continue my review on the latest patch and share any updates.

Thanks!

The patch looks good, and I don't have any comments for the code.
The test that is going to add by the patch is not generating a true
parallelism scenario, I feel it is better to change the test that can
generate a parallel sequence/index/bitmap scan.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia

Date:
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 4:41 PM, Haribabu Kommi wrote: > > > On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 6:57 PM, Thomas Munro < > thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote: > >> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 8:37 PM, Haribabu Kommi >> wrote: >> > After I tune the GUC to go with sequence scan, still I am not getting >> the >> > error >> > in the session-2 for update operation like it used to generate an error >> for >> > parallel >> > sequential scan, and also it even takes some many commands until unless >> the >> > S1 >> > commits. >> >> Hmm. Then this requires more explanation because I don't expect a >> difference. I did some digging and realised that the error detail >> message "Reason code: Canceled on identification as a pivot, during >> write." was reached in a code path that requires >> SxactIsPrepared(writer) and also MySerializableXact == writer, which >> means that the process believes it is committing. Clearly something >> is wrong. After some more digging I realised that >> ParallelWorkerMain() calls EndParallelWorkerTransaction() which calls >> CommitTransaction() which calls >> PreCommit_CheckForSerializationFailure(). Since the worker is >> connected to the leader's SERIALIZABLEXACT, that finishes up being >> marked as preparing to commit (not true!), and then the leader get >> confused during that write, causing a serialization failure to be >> raised sooner (though I can't explain why it should be raised then >> anyway, but that's another topic). Oops. I think the fix here is >> just not to do that in a worker (the worker's CommitTransaction() >> doesn't really mean what it says). >> >> Here's a version with a change that makes that conditional. This way >> your test case behaves the same as non-parallel mode. >> > > The patch looks good, and I don't have any comments for the code. > The test that is going to add by the patch is not generating a true > parallelism scenario, I feel it is better to change the test that can > generate a parallel sequence/index/bitmap scan. > The latest patch is good. It lacks a test that verifies the serialize support with actual parallel workers, so in case if it broken, it is difficult to know. Regards, Hari Babu Fujitsu Australia

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Haribabu Kommi
<kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:
> The latest patch is good. It lacks a test that verifies the serialize
> support with actual parallel workers, so in case if it broken, it is
> difficult to know.

Could this question be answered? The patch still applies so I am
moving it to next CF.
--
Michael

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Haribabu Kommi
> <kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The latest patch is good. It lacks a test that verifies the serialize
>> support with actual parallel workers, so in case if it broken, it is
>> difficult to know.
>
> Could this question be answered? The patch still applies so I am
> moving it to next CF.

Thanks.  The answer is:  It does run queries in two different
backends, proving that different backends associated with the same
session are correctly detecting conflicts and enabling the SSI
algorithm to work.  But yeah, Haribabu is right that it doesn't ever
cause them to run simultaneously in a way that would cause the new
locking to contend (or break if the locking code is incorrect).  I
have been unable to think of a good way to do that in a regression or
isolation test so far.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Michael Paquier
> <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Could this question be answered? The patch still applies so I am
>> moving it to next CF.

Rebased, 'cause it broke.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment

Date:
On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Michael Paquier
> <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Could this question be answered? The patch still applies so I am
>> moving it to next CF.

Rebased, 'cause it broke.

Thanks for explaining the problem in generating an isolation test to
test the serialize parallel query.

Committer can decide whether existing test is fine to part of the test suite
or remove it, other than that everything is fine. so I am moving the patch
into "ready for committer" state.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 2:09 PM, Haribabu Kommi
<kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for explaining the problem in generating an isolation test to
> test the serialize parallel query.
>
> Committer can decide whether existing test is fine to part of the test suite
> or remove it, other than that everything is fine. so I am moving the patch
> into "ready for committer" state.

Thank you!  I will try to find a good benchmark that will really
exercise parallel query + SSI.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 5:30 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 2:09 PM, Haribabu Kommi
> <kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for explaining the problem in generating an isolation test to
>> test the serialize parallel query.
>>
>> Committer can decide whether existing test is fine to part of the test suite
>> or remove it, other than that everything is fine. so I am moving the patch
>> into "ready for committer" state.
>
> Thank you!  I will try to find a good benchmark that will really
> exercise parallel query + SSI.

This started crashing some time yesterday with an assertion failure in
the isolation tests after commit 2badb5af landed.  Reordering of code
in parallel.c confused patch's fuzz heuristics leading
SetSerializableXact() to be called too soon.  Here's a fix for that.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 7:39 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> This started crashing some time yesterday with an assertion failure in
> the isolation tests after commit 2badb5af landed.  Reordering of code
> in parallel.c confused patch's fuzz heuristics leading
> SetSerializableXact() to be called too soon.  Here's a fix for that.

I took a look at this today and thought it might be OK to commit,
modulo a few minor issues: (1) you didn't document the new tranche and
(2) I prefer to avoid if (blah) { Assert(thing) } in favor of
Assert(!blah || thing).

But then I got a little bit concerned about ReleasePredicateLocks().
Suppose that in the middle of a read-only transaction,
SXACT_FLAG_RO_SAFE becomes true. The next call to
SerializationNeededForRead in each process will call
ReleasePredicateLocks.  In the workers, this won't do anything, so
we'll just keep coming back there.  But in the leader, we'll go ahead
do all that stuff, including MySerializableXact =
InvalidSerializableXact.  But in the workers, it's still set.  Maybe
that's OK, but I'm not sure that it's OK...

--

Date:
On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 4:24 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I took a look at this today and thought it might be OK to commit,

Thank you for looking at this!

> modulo a few minor issues: (1) you didn't document the new tranche and

Fixed.

> (2) I prefer to avoid if (blah) { Assert(thing) } in favor of
> Assert(!blah || thing).

Done.

> But then I got a little bit concerned about ReleasePredicateLocks().
> Suppose that in the middle of a read-only transaction,
> SXACT_FLAG_RO_SAFE becomes true. The next call to
> SerializationNeededForRead in each process will call
> ReleasePredicateLocks.  In the workers, this won't do anything, so
> we'll just keep coming back there.  But in the leader, we'll go ahead
> do all that stuff, including MySerializableXact =
> InvalidSerializableXact.  But in the workers, it's still set.  Maybe
> that's OK, but I'm not sure that it's OK...

Ouch.  Yeah.  It's not OK.  If the leader gives up its
SERIALIZABLEXACT object early due to that safe-read-only optimisation,
the workers are left with a dangling pointer to a SERIALIZABLEXACT
object that has been pushed onto FinishedSerializableTransactions.
From there it will move to PredXact->availableTransactions and might
be handed out to some other transaction, so it is not safe to retain a
pointer to that object.

The best solution I have come up with so far is to add a reference
count to SERIALIZABLEXACT.  I toyed with putting the refcount into the
DSM instead, but then I ran into problems making that work when you
have a query with multiple Gather nodes.  Since the refcount is in
SERIALIZABLEXACT I also had to add a generation counter so that I
could detect the case where you try to attach too late (the leader has
already errored out, the refcount has reached 0 and the
SERIALIZABLEXACT object has been recycled).

The attached is a draft patch only, needing some testing and polish.
Brickbats, better ideas?

FWIW I also considered a couple of other ideas:  (1) Keeping the
object alive on the FinishedSerializableTransactions list until the
leader's transaction is finished seems broken because we need to be
able to spill that list to the SLRU at any time, and if we somehow
made them sticky we could run out of memory.  (2) Anything involving
the leader having sole control of the object lifetime seems
problematic... well, it might work if you disabled the
SXACT_FLAG_RO_SAFE optimisation so that ReleasePredicateLocks() always
happens after all workers have finished, but that seems like cheating.

PS  I noticed that for BecomeLockGroupMember() we say "If we can't
join the lock group, the leader has gone away, so just exit quietly"
but for various other similar things we spew errors (most commonly
seen one being "ERROR:  could not map dynamic shared memory segment").
Intentional?

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 1:54 AM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> The attached is a draft patch only, needing some testing and polish.
> Brickbats, better ideas?

Note, that version is broken for multiple Gather nodes, but that's
fixable.  Comments on the general idea welcome.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:>
> The best solution I have come up with so far is to add a reference
> count to SERIALIZABLEXACT.  I toyed with putting the refcount into the
> DSM instead, but then I ran into problems making that work when you
> have a query with multiple Gather nodes.  Since the refcount is in
> SERIALIZABLEXACT I also had to add a generation counter so that I
> could detect the case where you try to attach too late (the leader has
> already errored out, the refcount has reached 0 and the
> SERIALIZABLEXACT object has been recycled).

I don't know whether that's safe or not.  It certainly sounds like
it's solving one category of problem, but is that the only issue?  If
some backends haven't noticed that we're safe, they might keep
acquiring SIREAD locks or doing other manipulations of shared state,
which maybe could cause confusion.  I haven't looked into this deeply
enough to understand whether there's actually a possibility of trouble
there, but I can't rule it out off-hand.

One approach is to just disable this optimization for parallel query.
Being able to use SERIALIZABLE with parallel query is better than not
being able to do it, even if some optimizations are not applied in
that case.  Of course making the optimizations work is better, but
we've got to be sure we're doing it right.

> PS  I noticed that for BecomeLockGroupMember() we say "If we can't
> join the lock group, the leader has gone away, so just exit quietly"
> but for various other similar things we spew errors (most commonly
> seen one being "ERROR:  could not map dynamic shared memory segment").
> Intentional?

I suppose I thought that if we failed to map the dynamic shared memory
segment, it might be down to any one of several causes; whereas if we
fail to join the lock group, it must be because the leader has already
exited.  There might be a flaw in that thinking, though.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Amit Kapila
Date:
On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 10:35 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Thomas Munro
>> PS  I noticed that for BecomeLockGroupMember() we say "If we can't
>> join the lock group, the leader has gone away, so just exit quietly"
>> but for various other similar things we spew errors (most commonly
>> seen one being "ERROR:  could not map dynamic shared memory segment").
>> Intentional?
>
> I suppose I thought that if we failed to map the dynamic shared memory
> segment, it might be down to any one of several causes; whereas if we
> fail to join the lock group, it must be because the leader has already
> exited.  There might be a flaw in that thinking, though.

By the way, in which case leader can exit early?  As of now, we do
wait for workers to end both before the query is finished or in error
cases.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Date:
On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 3:29 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 10:35 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Thomas Munro
>>> PS  I noticed that for BecomeLockGroupMember() we say "If we can't
>>> join the lock group, the leader has gone away, so just exit quietly"
>>> but for various other similar things we spew errors (most commonly
>>> seen one being "ERROR:  could not map dynamic shared memory segment").
>>> Intentional?
>>
>> I suppose I thought that if we failed to map the dynamic shared memory
>> segment, it might be down to any one of several causes; whereas if we
>> fail to join the lock group, it must be because the leader has already
>> exited.  There might be a flaw in that thinking, though.
>>

> By the way, in which case leader can exit early?  As of now, we do
> wait for workers to end both before the query is finished or in error
> cases.

create table foo as select generate_series(1, 10)::int a;
alter table foo set (parallel_workers = 2);
set parallel_setup_cost = 0;
set parallel_tuple_cost = 0;
select count(a / 0) from foo;

That reliably gives me:
ERROR:  division by zero [from leader]
ERROR:  could not map dynamic shared memory segment [from workers]

I thought this was coming from resource manager cleanup, but you're
right: that happens after we wait for all workers to finish.  Perhaps
this is a race within DestroyParallelContext() itself: when it is
called by AtEOXact_Parallel() during an abort, it asks the postmaster
to SIGTERM the workers, then it immediately detaches from the DSM
segment, and then it waits for the worker to start up.  The workers
unblock signals before the they try to attach to the DSM segment, but
they don't CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS before they try to attach (and even if
they did it wouldn't solve nothing).

I don't like the error much, though at least the root cause error is
logged first.

I don't immediately see how BecomeLockGroupMember() could have the
same kind of problem though, for the reason you said: the leader waits
for the workers to finish, so I'm not sure in which circumstances it
would cease to be the lock group leader while the workers are still
running.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Amit Kapila
Date:
On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 8:48 AM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 3:29 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 10:35 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Thomas Munro
>>>
>>> I suppose I thought that if we failed to map the dynamic shared memory
>>> segment, it might be down to any one of several causes; whereas if we
>>> fail to join the lock group, it must be because the leader has already
>>> exited.  There might be a flaw in that thinking, though.
>>>

>> By the way, in which case leader can exit early?  As of now, we do
>> wait for workers to end both before the query is finished or in error
>> cases.
>
> create table foo as select generate_series(1, 10)::int a;
> alter table foo set (parallel_workers = 2);
> set parallel_setup_cost = 0;
> set parallel_tuple_cost = 0;
> select count(a / 0) from foo;
>
> That reliably gives me:
> ERROR:  division by zero [from leader]
> ERROR:  could not map dynamic shared memory segment [from workers]
>
> I thought this was coming from resource manager cleanup, but you're
> right: that happens after we wait for all workers to finish.  Perhaps
> this is a race within DestroyParallelContext() itself: when it is
> called by AtEOXact_Parallel() during an abort, it asks the postmaster
> to SIGTERM the workers, then it immediately detaches from the DSM
> segment, and then it waits for the worker to start up.

I guess you mean to say worker waits to shutdown/exit.  Why would it
wait for startup at that stage?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Date:
On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 7:56 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 8:48 AM, Thomas Munro
> <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 3:29 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> By the way, in which case leader can exit early?  As of now, we do
>>> wait for workers to end both before the query is finished or in error
>>> cases.
>>
>> create table foo as select generate_series(1, 10)::int a;
>> alter table foo set (parallel_workers = 2);
>> set parallel_setup_cost = 0;
>> set parallel_tuple_cost = 0;
>> select count(a / 0) from foo;
>>
>> That reliably gives me:
>> ERROR:  division by zero [from leader]
>> ERROR:  could not map dynamic shared memory segment [from workers]
>>
>> I thought this was coming from resource manager cleanup, but you're
>> right: that happens after we wait for all workers to finish.  Perhaps
>> this is a race within DestroyParallelContext() itself: when it is
>> called by AtEOXact_Parallel() during an abort, it asks the postmaster
>> to SIGTERM the workers, then it immediately detaches from the DSM
>> segment, and then it waits for the worker to start up.
>>

> I guess you mean to say worker waits to shutdown/exit.  Why would it
> wait for startup at that stage?

Right, I meant to say shutdown/exit.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Date:
On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 6:05 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Thomas Munro
> <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:>
>> The best solution I have come up with so far is to add a reference
>> count to SERIALIZABLEXACT.  I toyed with putting the refcount into the
>> DSM instead, but then I ran into problems making that work when you
>> have a query with multiple Gather nodes.  Since the refcount is in
>> SERIALIZABLEXACT I also had to add a generation counter so that I
>> could detect the case where you try to attach too late (the leader has
>> already errored out, the refcount has reached 0 and the
>> SERIALIZABLEXACT object has been recycled).
>
> I don't know whether that's safe or not.  It certainly sounds like
> it's solving one category of problem, but is that the only issue?  If
> some backends haven't noticed that we're safe, they might keep
> acquiring SIREAD locks or doing other manipulations of shared state,
> which maybe could cause confusion.  I haven't looked into this deeply
> enough to understand whether there's actually a possibility of trouble
> there, but I can't rule it out off-hand.

After some testing, I think the refcount approach could be made to
work, but it seems quite complicated and there are some weird edge
cases that showed up that started to make it look like more trouble
than it was worth.  One downside of refcounts is that you never get to
free the SERIALIZABLEXACT until the end of the transaction with
parallel_leader_participation = off.

I'm testing another version that is a lot simpler: like v10, it relies
on the knowledge that the leader's transaction will always end after
the workers have finished, but it handles the RO_SAFE optimisation by
keeping the SERIALIZABLEXACT alive but freeing its locks etc.  More
soon.

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 12:04 AM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> I'm testing another version that is a lot simpler: like v10, it relies
> on the knowledge that the leader's transaction will always end after
> the workers have finished, but it handles the RO_SAFE optimisation by
> keeping the SERIALIZABLEXACT alive but freeing its locks etc.  More
> soon.

I've now broken it into two patches.

Patch 0001 is like my original patch with some minor improvements,
except that it now disables the RO_SAFE optimisation completely in
parallel mode.  In other words, it's the stupidest fix possible to the
problem you flagged up.  I think the main questions to answer about
the 0001 patch are whether this new locking protocol is sufficient,
whether anything bad could happen as a result of lock
escalation/transfer, and whether the underlying assumption about the
SERIALIZABLEXACT's lifetime holds true (that the leader will never
call ReleasePredicateLocks() while a worker is still running).

There are a couple of easy incremental improvements that could be made
on top of that patch, but I didn't make them because I'm trying to be
conservative in the hope of landing at least the basic feature in
PostgreSQL 11.  Namely:

1.  We could still return false if we see SXACT_FLAG_RO_SAFE in
SerializationNeededForRead() (we just couldn't call
ReleasePredicateLocks()).

2.  We could set MySerializableXact to InvalidSerializableXact in
worker backends so at least they'd benefit from the optimisation (we
just couldn't do that in the leader or it'd leak resources).

Patch 0002 aims a bit higher than those ideas.  I wanted to make sure
that the leader wouldn't arbitrarily miss out on the optimisation, and
I also suspect that the optimisation might be contagious in the sense
that actually releasing sooner might cause the RO_SAFE flag to be set
on *other* transactions sooner.  Patch 0002 works like this:

The first backend to observe the RO_SAFE flag 'partially releases' the
SERIALIZABLEXACT, so that the SERIALIZABLEXACT itself remains valid.
(The concept of 'partial release' already existed, but I'm using it in
a new way.)  All backends clear their MySerializableXact variable so
that they drop to faster SI in their own time.  The leader keeps a
copy of it in SavedSerializableXact, so that it can fully release it
at the end of the transaction when we know that no other backend has a
reference to it.

These patches survive hammering with a simple test that generates a
mixture of read only and read write parallel queries that hit the
interesting case (attached; this test helped me understand that the
refcount scheme I considered was going to be hard).  I haven't
personally tried to measure the value of the optimisation (though I'm
pretty sure it exists, based on the VLDB paper and the knowledge that
REPEATABLE READ (what the optimisation effectively gives you) just has
to be faster than SERIALIZABLE 'cause I've see all that code you get
to not run!).  I'd like to propose the 0001 patch for now, but keep
the 0002 patch back for a bit as it's very new and needs more
feedback, if possible from Kevin and others involved in the SSI
project.  Of course their input on the 0001 patch is also super
welcome.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 6:37 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> I've now broken it into two patches.

Rebased.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 11:35 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 6:37 PM, Thomas Munro
> <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> I've now broken it into two patches.
>
> Rebased.

+SerializableXactHandle
+ShareSerializableXact(void)
+{
+    Assert(!IsParallelWorker());
+
+    return MySerializableXact;
+}

Uh, how's that OK?  There's no rule that you can't create a
ParallelContext in a worker.  Parallel query currently doesn't, so it
probably won't happen, but burying an assertion to that effect in the
predicate locking code doesn't seem nice.

Is "sxact" really the best (i.e. clearest) name we can come up with
for the lock tranche?

--

Date:
On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 10:28 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> +SerializableXactHandle
> +ShareSerializableXact(void)
> +{
> +    Assert(!IsParallelWorker());
> +
> +    return MySerializableXact;
> +}
>
> Uh, how's that OK?  There's no rule that you can't create a
> ParallelContext in a worker.  Parallel query currently doesn't, so it
> probably won't happen, but burying an assertion to that effect in the
> predicate locking code doesn't seem nice.

Hmm.  I suppose you could have a PARALLEL SAFE function that itself
launches parallel workers explicitly (not via parallel query), and
they should inherit the same SERIALIZABLEXACT from their parent and
that should all just work.

> Is "sxact" really the best (i.e. clearest) name we can come up with
> for the lock tranche?

Yeah, needs a better name.

I have some lingering uncertainty about this patch and we're out of
time, so I moved it to PG12 CF1.  Thanks Haribabu, Robert, Amit for
the reviews and comments so far.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Masahiko Sawada
Date:
On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 2:56 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 10:28 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +SerializableXactHandle
>> +ShareSerializableXact(void)
>> +{
>> +    Assert(!IsParallelWorker());
>> +
>> +    return MySerializableXact;
>> +}
>>
>> Uh, how's that OK?  There's no rule that you can't create a
>> ParallelContext in a worker.  Parallel query currently doesn't, so it
>> probably won't happen, but burying an assertion to that effect in the
>> predicate locking code doesn't seem nice.
>
> Hmm.  I suppose you could have a PARALLEL SAFE function that itself
> launches parallel workers explicitly (not via parallel query), and
> they should inherit the same SERIALIZABLEXACT from their parent and
> that should all just work.
>
>> Is "sxact" really the best (i.e. clearest) name we can come up with
>> for the lock tranche?
>
> Yeah, needs a better name.
>
> I have some lingering uncertainty about this patch and we're out of
> time, so I moved it to PG12 CF1.  Thanks Haribabu, Robert, Amit for
> the reviews and comments so far.

I'd like to test and review this patches but they seem to conflict
with current HEAD. Could you please rebase them?

Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Date:
On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 7:55 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to test and review this patches but they seem to conflict
> with current HEAD. Could you please rebase them?

Hi Sawada-san,

Thanks!  Rebased and attached.  The only changes are: the LWLock
tranche is now shown as "serializable_xact" instead of "sxact" (hmm,
LWLock tranches have lower_case_names_with_underscores, but individual
LWLocks have CamelCaseName...), and ShareSerializableXact() no longer
does Assert(!IsParallelWorker()).  These changes are based on the last
feedback from Robert.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Masahiko Sawada
Date:
On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 7:28 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 7:55 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to test and review this patches but they seem to conflict
>> with current HEAD. Could you please rebase them?
>
> Hi Sawada-san,
>
> Thanks!  Rebased and attached.  The only changes are: the LWLock
> tranche is now shown as "serializable_xact" instead of "sxact" (hmm,
> LWLock tranches have lower_case_names_with_underscores, but individual
> LWLocks have CamelCaseName...), and ShareSerializableXact() no longer
> does Assert(!IsParallelWorker()).  These changes are based on the last
> feedback from Robert.

Thank you! Will look at patches.

Date:
On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 3:12 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 7:28 PM, Thomas Munro
> <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 7:55 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'd like to test and review this patches but they seem to conflict
>>> with current HEAD. Could you please rebase them?
>>
>> Hi Sawada-san,
>>
>> Thanks!  Rebased and attached.  The only changes are: the LWLock
>> tranche is now shown as "serializable_xact" instead of "sxact" (hmm,
>> LWLock tranches have lower_case_names_with_underscores, but individual
>> LWLocks have CamelCaseName...), and ShareSerializableXact() no longer
>> does Assert(!IsParallelWorker()).  These changes are based on the last
>> feedback from Robert.
>>

> Thank you! Will look at patches.

I looked at this patches. The latest patch can build without any
errors and warnings and pass all regression tests. I don't see
critical bugs but there are random comments.

+               /*
+                * If the leader in a parallel query earler stashed a partially
+                * released SERIALIZABLEXACT for final clean-up at end
of transaction
+                * (because workers might still have been accessing
it), then it's
+                * time to restore it.
+                */

There is a typo.
s/earler/earlier/

----
Should we add test to check if write-skew[1] anomaly doesn't happen
even in parallel mode?

----
- * We aren't acquiring lightweight locks for the predicate lock or lock
+ * We acquire an LWLock in the case of parallel mode, because worker
+ * backends have access to the leader's SERIALIZABLEXACT.  Otherwise,
+ * we aren't acquiring lightweight locks for the predicate lock or lock

There are LWLock and lightweight lock. Maybe it's better to unify the spelling.

----
@@ -2231,9 +2234,12 @@ PrepareTransaction(void)
        /*
         * Mark serializable transaction as complete for predicate locking
         * purposes.  This should be done as late as we can put it and
still allow
-        * errors to be raised for failure patterns found at commit.
+        * errors to be raised for failure patterns found at commit.
This is not
+        * appropriate for parallel workers however, because we aren't
committing
+        * the leader's transaction and its serializable state will live on.
         */
-       PreCommit_CheckForSerializationFailure();
+       if (!IsParallelWorker())
+               PreCommit_CheckForSerializationFailure();

This code assumes that parallel workers could prepare transaction. Is
that expected behavior of parallel query? There is an assertion
!IsInParallelMode() at the beginning of that function though.

----
+    /*
+     * If the transaction is committing, but it has been partially released
+     * already, then treat this as a roll back.  It was marked as rolled back.
+     */
+    if (isCommit && SxactIsPartiallyReleased(MySerializableXact))
+        isCommit = false;
+

Isn't it better to add an assertion to check if
MySerializableXact->flags has SXACT_FLAG_ROLLED_BACK flag for safety?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapshot_isolation#Definition

Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Kevin Grittner
Date:
After reviewing the thread and the current two patches, I agree with
Masahiko Sawada plus preferring one adjustment to the coding: I would
prefer to break out the majority of the ReleasePredicateLocks function
to a static ReleasePredicateLocksMain (or similar) function and
eliminating the goto.

The optimization in patch 0002 is important.  Previous benchmarks
showed a fairly straightforward pgbench test scaled as well as
REPEATABLE READ when it was present, but performance fell off up to
20% as the scale increased without it.

I will spend a few more days in testing and review, but figured I
should pass along "first impressions" now.

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 8:58 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> that expected behavior of parallel query? There is an assertion
> !IsInParallelMode() at the beginning of that function though.
>
> ----
> +    /*
> +     * If the transaction is committing, but it has been partially released
> +     * already, then treat this as a roll back.  It was marked as rolled back.
> +     */
> +    if (isCommit && SxactIsPartiallyReleased(MySerializableXact))
> +        isCommit = false;
> +
>
> Isn't it better to add an assertion to check if
> MySerializableXact->flags has SXACT_FLAG_ROLLED_BACK flag for safety?
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapshot_isolation#Definition
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Masahiko Sawada
> NIPPON TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE CORPORATION

VMware vCenter Server
https://www.vmware.com/

Date:
On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 04:50:40PM -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> I will spend a few more days in testing and review, but figured I
> should pass along "first impressions" now.

Kevin, it seems that this patch is pending on your input.  I have moved
this patch to next CF for now.
--
Michael

Attachment

Date:
On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 9:50 AM Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 8:58 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I looked at this patches. The latest patch can build without any
> > errors and warnings and pass all regression tests. I don't see
> > critical bugs but there are random comments.

Thanks for the review!  And sorry for my delayed response.  Here is a
rebased patch, with changes as requested.  I have replies also for
Kevin, see further down.

> > +               /*
> > +                * If the leader in a parallel query earler stashed a partially
> > +                * released SERIALIZABLEXACT for final clean-up at end
> > of transaction
> > +                * (because workers might still have been accessing
> > it), then it's
> > +                * time to restore it.
> > +                */
> >
> > There is a typo.
> > s/earler/earlier/

Fixed.

> > ----
> > Should we add test to check if write-skew[1] anomaly doesn't happen
> > even in parallel mode?

I suppose we could find another one of the existing specs that shows
write-skew and adapt it to run a read-only part of the transaction in
a parallel worker, but what would it prove that the proposed new test
doesn't prove already?

> > ----
> > - * We aren't acquiring lightweight locks for the predicate lock or lock
> > + * We acquire an LWLock in the case of parallel mode, because worker
> > + * backends have access to the leader's SERIALIZABLEXACT.  Otherwise,
> > + * we aren't acquiring lightweight locks for the predicate lock or lock
> >
> > There are LWLock and lightweight lock. Maybe it's better to unify the spelling.

Done.

> > ----
> > @@ -2231,9 +2234,12 @@ PrepareTransaction(void)
> >         /*
> >          * Mark serializable transaction as complete for predicate locking
> >          * purposes.  This should be done as late as we can put it and
> > still allow
> > -        * errors to be raised for failure patterns found at commit.
> > +        * errors to be raised for failure patterns found at commit.
> > This is not
> > +        * appropriate for parallel workers however, because we aren't
> > committing
> > +        * the leader's transaction and its serializable state will live on.
> >          */
> > -       PreCommit_CheckForSerializationFailure();
> > +       if (!IsParallelWorker())
> > +               PreCommit_CheckForSerializationFailure();
> >
> > This code assumes that parallel workers could prepare transaction. Is
> > that expected behavior of parallel query? There is an assertion
> > !IsInParallelMode() at the beginning of that function though.

You are right.  I made a change exactly like this in
CommitTransaction(), where it is necessary, but then somehow I managed
to apply that hunk to the identical code in PrepareTransaction() also,
where it is not necessary.  Fixed.

> > ----
> > +    /*
> > +     * If the transaction is committing, but it has been partially released
> > +     * already, then treat this as a roll back.  It was marked as rolled back.
> > +     */
> > +    if (isCommit && SxactIsPartiallyReleased(MySerializableXact))
> > +        isCommit = false;
> > +
> >
> > Isn't it better to add an assertion to check if
> > MySerializableXact->flags has SXACT_FLAG_ROLLED_BACK flag for safety?

That can't hurt.  Added.

It's don't really the fact that the flag contradicts reality here...
but it was already established that the read-only safe optimisation
calls ReleasePredicateLocks(false) which behaves like a rollback and
marks the SERIALIZABLEXACT that way.  I don't have a better idea right
now.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 9:50 AM Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com> wrote:
> After reviewing the thread and the current two patches, I agree with
> Masahiko Sawada plus preferring one adjustment to the coding: I would
> prefer to break out the majority of the ReleasePredicateLocks function
> to a static ReleasePredicateLocksMain (or similar) function and
> eliminating the goto.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the review.

How about moving that bit of local-cleanup code from the end of the
function into a new static function ReleasePredicateLocksLocal(), so
that we can call it and then return, instead of the evil "goto"?  Done
that way in the attached.

> The optimization in patch 0002 is important.  Previous benchmarks
> showed a fairly straightforward pgbench test scaled as well as
> REPEATABLE READ when it was present, but performance fell off up to
> 20% as the scale increased without it.

+1

> I will spend a few more days in testing and review, but figured I
> should pass along "first impressions" now.

Thanks!

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 4:53 PM Thomas Munro

Date:
On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 4:53 PM Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the review!  And sorry for my delayed response.  Here is a
> rebased patch, with changes as requested.

Rebased.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

From
Kevin Grittner
Date:
On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 9:40 PM Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Rebased.

It applies and builds clean, it passed make world with cassert and TAP
tests, and I can't see any remaining flaws.  This is true both of just
the 0001 v16 patch and that with 0002 v16 applied on top of it.

It would be great if someone with a big test machine could stress test
and benchmark this versus current production versions.

--
Kevin Grittner
VMware vCenter Server

Date:
On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:15 AM Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com> wrote:
> It applies and builds clean, it passed make world with cassert and TAP
> tests, and I can't see any remaining flaws.  This is true both of just
> the 0001 v16 patch and that with 0002 v16 applied on top of it.

Thanks.  I'd like to commit this soon.

> It would be great if someone with a big test machine could stress test
> and benchmark this versus current production versions.

Hmm.  I can't compare it with current production versions directly
since SERIALIZABLE + parallel query wasn't possible before.  I could
compare it against lower isolation levels or non-parallel query, but
those tests don't seem to tell us anything we don't already know:
SERIALIZABLE slows some stuff down, parallel query speeds some stuff
up. As for stress-testing, most benchmarks are either good for testing
parallelism (TPC-H etc) but don't do any writes, or good for testing
writes (TPC-B etc) but don't do any parallelism.  I'm going to
experiment with the "SIBENCH" approach from the Cahill paper and see
where that leads.

--
Thomas Munro
https://enterprisedb.com

Date:
On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 10:17 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:15 AM Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It applies and builds clean, it passed make world with cassert and TAP
> > tests, and I can't see any remaining flaws.  This is true both of just
> > the 0001 v16 patch and that with 0002 v16 applied on top of it.
>
> Thanks.  I'd like to commit this soon.

I did a round of testing under load and some printf-debugging to
convince myself that the  SXACT_FLAG_RO_SAFE handling really is
exercised by serializable-parallel-2.spec and behaving as expected,
along with some more testing by hand, and pushed this.

To generate load I used a knock-off of sibench[1], run as eg
./petit-sibench --rows 10000 --threads 8 --ssi, against a server
running with -c min_parallel_table_scan_size=128kB -c
parallel_setup_cost=0 -c max_worker_processes=16 -c
max_parallel_workers=16.

[1] https://github.com/macdice/petit-sibench/blob/master/petit-sibench.c

--
Thomas Munro