Postgres Pro build for windows

From
"Ivan E. Panchenko"
Date:
Hi Magnus,

Postgres Pro continues publishing its Windows builds of PostgreSQL. The
main idea of our builds is to provide a completely open source
PostgreSQL distribution for Windows, solve some issues with incorrect
display of UTF-8 characters in console (in Russia it is critical), and
provide at least basic auto-configuration feature.

What should be done to make our packages mentioned at
https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/  together with EDB and
BigSQL ones ?

Our download page is https://postgrespro.com/windows .

Regards,

Ivan Panchenko

--

Иван Евгеньевич Панченко
Postgres Professional

Re: Postgres Pro build for windows

Date:
On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 11:40:05PM +0300, Ivan Panchenko wrote:
> Hi Magnus,
>
> Postgres Pro continues publishing its Windows builds of PostgreSQL. The main
> idea of our builds is to provide a completely open source PostgreSQL
> distribution for Windows, solve some issues with incorrect display of UTF-8
> characters in console (in Russia it is critical), and provide at least basic
> auto-configuration feature.
>
> What should be done to make our packages mentioned at
> https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/  together with EDB and BigSQL
> ones ?
>
> Our download page is https://postgrespro.com/windows .

We got your Russian documentation added recently and it seems your
downloads also should be added.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Postgres Pro build for windows

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Friday, November 25, 2016, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 11:40:05PM +0300, Ivan Panchenko wrote:
> Hi Magnus,
>
> Postgres Pro continues publishing its Windows builds of PostgreSQL. The main
> idea of our builds is to provide a completely open source PostgreSQL
> distribution for Windows, solve some issues with incorrect display of UTF-8
> characters in console (in Russia it is critical), and provide at least basic
> auto-configuration feature.
>
> What should be done to make our packages mentioned at
> https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/  together with EDB and BigSQL
> ones ?
>
> Our download page is https://postgrespro.com/windows .

We got your Russian documentation added recently and it seems your
downloads also should be added.

I agree that this makes sense.

We need a patch for it though -- or more to the point, we need a text similar to the one that we have for the EDB and the BigSQL downloads, so that visitors can decide which one to use.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Postgres Pro build for windows

From
"Ivan E. Panchenko"

Hi Magnus,

Sorry for slow reply. Our patch for windows GUI installers page is attached.

Regards,

Ivan

Иван Евгеньевич Панченко
Postgres Professional
the Russian PostgreSQL Company
+79104339846
30.11.2016 06:37, Magnus Hagander пишет:
On Friday, November 25, 2016, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 11:40:05PM +0300, Ivan Panchenko wrote:
> Hi Magnus,
>
> Postgres Pro continues publishing its Windows builds of PostgreSQL. The main
> idea of our builds is to provide a completely open source PostgreSQL
> distribution for Windows, solve some issues with incorrect display of UTF-8
> characters in console (in Russia it is critical), and provide at least basic
> auto-configuration feature.
>
> What should be done to make our packages mentioned at
> https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/  together with EDB and BigSQL
> ones ?
>
> Our download page is https://postgrespro.com/windows .

We got your Russian documentation added recently and it seems your
downloads also should be added.

I agree that this makes sense.

We need a patch for it though -- or more to the point, we need a text similar to the one that we have for the EDB and the BigSQL downloads, so that visitors can decide which one to use.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Attachment

Re: Postgres Pro build for windows

From
Dave Page
Date:
Hi On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Ivan E. Panchenko < i.panchenko@postgrespro.ru> wrote: > Hi Magnus, > > Sorry for slow reply. Our patch for windows GUI installers page is > attached. > From looking at the Github page, it looks like you are applying a number of patches to PostgreSQL. Is that correct? The reason I ask is that when EDB first started publishing the installers for postgresql.org, the agreement with the core team members present at the meeting was that we would be publishing pure, unmodified PostgreSQL. EDB never deviated from that policy (despite occasionally wanting to), and I don't think the community should change it now - if a fix/feature/whatever isn't in the PostgreSQL tarball, then it shouldn't be in what are advertised as endorsed "official" builds offered for download. For clarity, opinions are my own, and not necessarily those of EDB. -- Dave Page Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com Twitter: @pgsnake EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Postgres Pro build for windows

From
"Ivan E. Panchenko"
Date:
23.11.2017 15:15, Dave Page пишет: > Hi > > On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Ivan E. Panchenko > > wrote: > > Hi Magnus, > > Sorry for slow reply. Our patch for windows GUI installers page is > attached. > > > From looking at the Github page, it looks like you are applying a > number of patches to PostgreSQL. Is that correct? Mandatory patches are applied only to 9.2.14 and 9.4.9 versions. 9.2.14:  a postmaster shutdown when server is killed: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/27520.1444682101%40sss.pgh.pa.us (a patch by Tom Lane, later committed in 9.2 branch) 9.4.9: increase isolation between shared memory segments of different postmaster instances (really a strange thing, probably unnecessary) Was not commited anywhere. We can remove both, we do not want to bother the community with this. Should we ? Other patches are applied only when a special environment variable is set, which is not done by default. > > The reason I ask is that when EDB first started publishing the > installers for postgresql.org , the agreement > with the core team members present at the meeting was that we would be > publishing pure, unmodified PostgreSQL. > > EDB never deviated from that policy (despite occasionally wanting to), > and I don't think the community should change it now - if a > fix/feature/whatever isn't in the PostgreSQL tarball, then it > shouldn't be in what are advertised as endorsed "official" builds > offered for download. > > For clarity, opinions are my own, and not necessarily those of EDB. > > -- > Dave Page > Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com > Twitter: @pgsnake > > EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com > The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
Hi On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Ivan E. Panchenko < i.panchenko@postgrespro.ru> wrote: > > 23.11.2017 15:15, Dave Page пишет: > > Hi > > On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Ivan E. Panchenko < > i.panchenko@postgrespro.ru> wrote: > >> Hi Magnus, >> >> Sorry for slow reply. Our patch for windows GUI installers page is >> attached. >> > > From looking at the Github page, it looks like you are applying a number > of patches to PostgreSQL. Is that correct? > > Mandatory patches are applied only to 9.2.14 and 9.4.9 versions. > > 9.2.14: a postmaster shutdown when server is killed: > > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/27520.1444682101%40sss.pgh.pa.us > (a patch by Tom Lane, later committed in 9.2 branch) > > 9.4.9: increase isolation between shared memory segments of different > postmaster instances (really a strange thing, probably unnecessary) > Was not commited anywhere. > > We can remove both, we do not want to bother the community with this. > Should we ? > I think so, if we're to list the packages on our main download pages. > > Other patches are applied only when a special environment variable is set, > which is not done by default. > Do you mean they are only applied during the build process if the envvar is set, or that they are activated at runtime if the envvar is set? I think the former is fine, but not the latter. Thanks! > > The reason I ask is that when EDB first started publishing the installers > for postgresql.org, the agreement with the core team members present at > the meeting was that we would be publishing pure, unmodified PostgreSQL. > > EDB never deviated from that policy (despite occasionally wanting to), and > I don't think the community should change it now - if a > fix/feature/whatever isn't in the PostgreSQL tarball, then it shouldn't be > in what are advertised as endorsed "official" builds offered for download. > > For clarity, opinions are my own, and not necessarily those of EDB. > > -- > Dave Page > Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com > Twitter: @pgsnake > > EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com > The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company > > > -- Dave Page Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com Twitter: @pgsnake EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Postgres Pro build for windows

From
"Ivan E. Panchenko"
Date:
23.11.2017 17:21, Dave Page пишет: > Hi > > On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Ivan E. Panchenko > > wrote: > > > 23.11.2017 15:15, Dave Page пишет: >> Hi >> >> On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Ivan E. Panchenko >> > >> wrote: >> >> Hi Magnus, >> >> Sorry for slow reply. Our patch for windows GUI installers >> page is attached. >> >> >> From looking at the Github page, it looks like you are applying a >> number of patches to PostgreSQL. Is that correct? > Thanks for noticing them :) > > Mandatory patches are applied only to 9.2.14 and 9.4.9 versions. > > 9.2.14:  a postmaster shutdown when server is killed: > > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/27520.1444682101%40sss.pgh.pa.us > > > (a patch by Tom Lane, later committed in 9.2 branch) > > 9.4.9: increase isolation between shared memory segments of > different postmaster instances (really a strange thing, probably > unnecessary) > Was not commited anywhere. > I've found it. Here is the discussion: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/1444920387.3661.7.camel%40postgrespro.ru#1444920387.3661.7.camel@postgrespro.ru Really something other was committed to solve the problem. > > > We can remove both, we do not want to bother the community with > this. Should we ? > > > I think so, if we're to list the packages on our main download pages. Ok,  now the abovementioned two patches are already removed. > > > Other patches are applied only when a special environment variable > is set, which is not done by default. > > > Do you mean they are only applied during the build process if the > envvar is set, or that they are activated at runtime if the envvar is > set? I think the former is fine, but not the latter. The envvar should be set at build time to include this patches. No runtime activation. Those additional patches are not included in the binaries distributed at the download page we suggest to list on postgresql.org. >> >> The reason I ask is that when EDB first started publishing the >> installers for postgresql.org , the >> agreement with the core team members present at the meeting was >> that we would be publishing pure, unmodified PostgreSQL. >> >> EDB never deviated from that policy (despite occasionally wanting >> to), and I don't think the community should change it now - if a >> fix/feature/whatever isn't in the PostgreSQL tarball, then it >> shouldn't be in what are advertised as endorsed "official" builds >> offered for download. >> >> For clarity, opinions are my own, and not necessarily those of EDB. >> >> -- >> Dave Page >> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com >> Twitter: @pgsnake >> >> EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com >> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company > > > > > -- > Dave Page > Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com > Twitter: @pgsnake > > EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com > The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company Regards, Ivan Panchenko

Date:
On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 4:37 PM, Ivan E. Panchenko < i.panchenko@postgrespro.ru> wrote: > > 23.11.2017 17:21, Dave Page пишет: > > Hi > > On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Ivan E. Panchenko < > i.panchenko@postgrespro.ru> wrote: > >> >> 23.11.2017 15:15, Dave Page пишет: >> >> Hi >> >> On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Ivan E. Panchenko < >> i.panchenko@postgrespro.ru> wrote: >> >>> Hi Magnus, >>> >>> Sorry for slow reply. Our patch for windows GUI installers page is >>> attached. >>> >> >> From looking at the Github page, it looks like you are applying a number >> of patches to PostgreSQL. Is that correct? >> >> Thanks for noticing them :) > > Mandatory patches are applied only to 9.2.14 and 9.4.9 versions. >> >> 9.2.14: a postmaster shutdown when server is killed: >> >> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/27520.1444682101%40sss.pgh.pa.us >> (a patch by Tom Lane, later committed in 9.2 branch) >> >> 9.4.9: increase isolation between shared memory segments of different >> postmaster instances (really a strange thing, probably unnecessary) >> Was not commited anywhere. >> > I've found it. Here is the discussion: > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/1444920387. > 3661.7.camel%40postgrespro.ru#1444920387.3661.7.camel@postgrespro.ru > Really something other was committed to solve the problem. > > >> We can remove both, we do not want to bother the community with this. >> Should we ? >> > > I think so, if we're to list the packages on our main download pages. > > Ok, now the abovementioned two patches are already removed. > > > >> >> Other patches are applied only when a special environment variable is >> set, which is not done by default. >> > > Do you mean they are only applied during the build process if the envvar > is set, or that they are activated at runtime if the envvar is set? I think > the former is fine, but not the latter. > > The envvar should be set at build time to include this patches. No runtime > activation. > > Those additional patches are not included in the binaries distributed at > the download page we suggest to list on postgresql.org. > Cool, thanks - that works for me :-) -- Dave Page Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com Twitter: @pgsnake EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Postgres Pro build for windows

From
"Ivan E. Panchenko"

Hi Dave,

As we removed all the additional patches, can we now proceed with publishing the link  to our distribution?

Regards,

Ivan

Иван Евгеньевич Панченко
Postgres Professional
the Russian PostgreSQL Company
+79104339846
Sorry for slow reply. Our patch for windows GUI installers page is attached.

From looking at the Github page, it looks like you are applying a number of patches to PostgreSQL. Is that correct?
[...]

Date:
Hi,

I have no objections, however I'm also extremely short of time right now, as I'm only in the office for a couple more days before Christmas and already have a huge backlog. If someone else can pick this up it would be a big help.

As we removed all the additional patches, can we now proceed with publishing the link  to our distribution?

Regards,

Ivan

Иван Евгеньевич Панченко
Postgres Professional
the Russian PostgreSQL Company
+79104339846
Sorry for slow reply. Our patch for windows GUI installers page is attached.

From looking at the Github page, it looks like you are applying a number of patches to PostgreSQL. Is that correct?
[...]

Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
> On 13 Dec 2017, at 10:12, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have no objections, however I'm also extremely short of time right now, as I'm only in the office for a couple more
daysbefore Christmas and already have a huge backlog. If someone else can pick this up it would be a big help.

The markup in the patch looks fine, there are however two small typos that
should be fixed before pushing:

+including its old versions, provides automatic server preconfiguraion based

s/preconfiguraion/preconfiguration/

+sources are avaiable at github.

s/avaiable/available/

Further, since GitHub is a name I think we should capitalize it as they do (ie
GitHub).

cheers ./daniel

Date:
13.12.2017 12:26, Daniel Gustafsson пишет:
>> On 13 Dec 2017, at 10:12, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have no objections, however I'm also extremely short of time right now, as I'm only in the office for a couple
moredays before Christmas and already have a huge backlog. If someone else can pick this up it would be a big help.

> The markup in the patch looks fine, there are however two small typos that
> should be fixed before pushing:
>
> +including its old versions, provides automatic server preconfiguraion based
>
> s/preconfiguraion/preconfiguration/
>
> +sources are avaiable at github.
>
> s/avaiable/available/
>
> Further, since GitHub is a name I think we should capitalize it as they do (ie
> GitHub).
Daniel, thanks for your corrections. Sorry for the misprints.
The improved patch is attached.

> cheers ./daniel
Regards,
Ivan

Attachment

Date:
> On 13 Dec 2017, at 11:05, Ivan E. Panchenko <i.panchenko@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
>
> 13.12.2017 12:26, Daniel Gustafsson пишет:
>>> On 13 Dec 2017, at 10:12, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have no objections, however I'm also extremely short of time right now, as I'm only in the office for a couple
moredays before Christmas and already have a huge backlog. If someone else can pick this up it would be a big help.
>> The markup in the patch looks fine, there are however two small typos that
>> should be fixed before pushing:
>>
>> +including its old versions, provides automatic server preconfiguraion based
>>
>> s/preconfiguraion/preconfiguration/
>>
>> +sources are avaiable at github.
>>
>> s/avaiable/available/
>>
>> Further, since GitHub is a name I think we should capitalize it as they do (ie
>> GitHub).
> Daniel, thanks for your corrections. Sorry for the misprints.
> The improved patch is attached.

No worries. Updated patch looks good to me.

cheers ./daniel

Re: Postgres Pro build for windows

From
"Ivan E. Panchenko"
Date:
Hi,

13.12.2017 13:09, Daniel Gustafsson пишет:

moredays before Christmas and already have a huge backlog. If someone else can pick this up it would be a big help.

>>> The markup in the patch looks fine, there are however two small typos that
>>> should be fixed before pushing:
>>>
>>> +including its old versions, provides automatic server preconfiguraion based
>>>
>>> s/preconfiguraion/preconfiguration/
>>>
>>> +sources are avaiable at github.
>>>
>>> s/avaiable/available/
>>>
>>> Further, since GitHub is a name I think we should capitalize it as they do (ie
>>> GitHub).
>> Daniel, thanks for your corrections. Sorry for the misprints.
>> The improved patch is attached.
> No worries. Updated patch looks good to me.
Can anybody install the patch ?

Happy holidays!

Regards,
Ivan

> cheers ./daniel

Attachment

Re: Postgres Pro build for windows

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 12/22/2017 11:16 AM, Ivan E. Panchenko wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Ivan!

Sorry for the slow feedback but see below.

> 13.12.2017 13:09, Daniel Gustafsson пишет:
>>> On 13 Dec 2017, at 11:05, Ivan E. Panchenko
>>> <i.panchenko@postgrespro.ru> wrote:

>>> Daniel, thanks for your corrections. Sorry for the misprints.
>>> The improved patch is attached.
>> No worries. Updated patch looks good to me.
> Can anybody install the patch ?

I took a look at the patch wrt to applying it but I think there are
still some improvements/clarifications to make:

+<h2>Graphical installer by Postgres Pro</h2>

From looking at "About us" on www.postgrespro.ru it seems that the
company name is "Postgres Professional" and "Postgres Pro" is used for
the actual (custom) software product - so maybe the above should be
"Graphical installer by Postgres Professional"?

+
+<p>
+<a href="https://postgrespro.com/windows">PostgreSQL GUI installer</a>
+by Postgres Professional supports 32 and 64 bit architectures for Windows,

We use s/bit/Bit elsewhere on this page als "supports ... architectures
for Windows" reads weird - Microsoft usually talks about "platforms" in
that context

+including its old versions, provides automatic server preconfiguration
based

not sure what "its old versions" is referring to?

+on available RAM size, corrects several issues with non-latin messages
encoding,

"corrects several issues with non-latin messages"? is that referring to
some patch applied to postgresql sources? if yes shouldn't that our be
in the main tree if it is an actual bug?

Stefan

Re: Postgres Pro build for windows

From
"Ivan E. Panchenko"
Date:
Hi Stefan!

Sorry, my feedback is also slow :)

Thanks for your comments.

The new patch is attached, some notes below.

09.01.2018 23:35, Stefan Kaltenbrunner пишет:
> On 12/22/2017 11:16 AM, Ivan E. Panchenko wrote:
>> Hi,
> Hi Ivan!
>
> Sorry for the slow feedback but see below.

>>> No worries. Updated patch looks good to me.
>> Can anybody install the patch ?
> I took a look at the patch wrt to applying it but I think there are
> still some improvements/clarifications to make:
>
> +<h2>Graphical installer by Postgres Pro</h2>
>
>  From looking at "About us" on www.postgrespro.ru it seems that the
> company name is "Postgres Professional" and "Postgres Pro" is used for
> the actual (custom) software product - so maybe the above should be
> "Graphical installer by Postgres Professional"?
Ok, fixed!

> +
> +<p>
> +<a href="https://postgrespro.com/windows">PostgreSQL GUI installer</a>
> +by Postgres Professional supports 32 and 64 bit architectures for Windows,
>
> We use s/bit/Bit elsewhere on this page als "supports ... architectures
> for Windows" reads weird - Microsoft usually talks about "platforms" in
> that context
Also fixed

> +including its old versions, provides automatic server preconfiguration
> based
>
> not sure what "its old versions" is referring to?
Since Windows XP. Mentioned this in the text.

> +on available RAM size, corrects several issues with non-latin messages
> encoding,
>
> "corrects several issues with non-latin messages"? is that referring to
> some patch applied to postgresql sources? if yes shouldn't that our be
> in the main tree if it is an actual bug?
It's not a Postgres bug and not a Postgres patch, just setting a correct
codepage before running psql.
Clarified this in the text.

Regards,

Ivan

> Stefan

Attachment

Re: Postgres Pro build for windows

From
"Ivan E. Panchenko"
Date:
Hi, Stefan,

Just to remind:

23.03.2018 16:53, Ivan E. Panchenko пишет:
> Hi Stefan!
>
> Sorry, my feedback is also slow :)
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> The new patch is attached, some notes below.
>
> 09.01.2018 23:35, Stefan Kaltenbrunner пишет:
>> On 12/22/2017 11:16 AM, Ivan E. Panchenko wrote:
>>> Hi,
>> Hi Ivan!
>>
>> Sorry for the slow feedback but see below.

>>> Can anybody install the patch ?
>> I took a look at the patch wrt to applying it but I think there are
>> still some improvements/clarifications to make:
>>
>> +<h2>Graphical installer by Postgres Pro</h2>
>>
>>  From looking at "About us" on www.postgrespro.ru it seems that the
>> company name is "Postgres Professional" and "Postgres Pro" is used for
>> the actual (custom) software product - so maybe the above should be
>> "Graphical installer by Postgres Professional"?
> Ok, fixed!
>>
>> +
>> +<p>
>> +<a href="https://postgrespro.com/windows">PostgreSQL GUI installer</a>
>> +by Postgres Professional supports 32 and 64 bit architectures for
>> Windows,
>>
>> We use s/bit/Bit elsewhere on this page als "supports ... architectures
>> for Windows" reads weird - Microsoft usually talks about "platforms" in
>> that context
> Also fixed
>>
>> +including its old versions, provides automatic server preconfiguration
>> based
>>
>> not sure what "its old versions" is referring to?
> Since Windows XP. Mentioned this in the text.
>>
>> +on available RAM size, corrects several issues with non-latin messages
>> encoding,
>>
>> "corrects several issues with non-latin messages"? is that referring to
>> some patch applied to postgresql sources? if yes shouldn't that our be
>> in the main tree if it is an actual bug?
> It's not a Postgres bug and not a Postgres patch, just setting a
> correct codepage before running psql.
> Clarified this in the text.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ivan