Website is now https only - please help with testing

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
As some were briefed about during the pginfra session at pgcon, we have now configured the www.postgresql.org website to be https only.

Any access with http should result in a redirect to https only. We will be deploying http strict transport security at a later date, once we have had more testing.

Speaking of testing, we'd appreciate help from others with testing the site out at this point. Please let us know anything that does not work properly for you (especially if related to https, but please report other issues as well, as they might be "silently dependent" on the change through other backend changes bundled up with it)

Re: Website is now https only - please help with testing

From
Christophe Pettus
Date:
It looks like HTTP/2 isn't enabled on it; you might consider it (or my test may be wrong!).

--
-- Christophe Pettus  xof@thebuild.com

Re: Website is now https only - please help with testing

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
This is correct. Not supported by our current platform. We'll be going to HTTP/2 at some later point, just https for now.

//Magnus

Date:
> Speaking of testing, we'd appreciate help from others with testing the site
> out at this point.

So I have bookmarks for

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/

which don't work anymore --- I get a page with the usual decoration
but the body is
Not FoundThe URL you specified does not exist.

Changing the bookmark to "https" fixes that, so there's something wrong
with the auto redirection.
        regards, tom lane

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 4:56 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Speaking of testing, we'd appreciate help from others with testing the site
> out at this point.

So I have bookmarks for

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/

which don't work anymore --- I get a page with the usual decoration
but the body is

        Not Found
        The URL you specified does not exist.

Changing the bookmark to "https" fixes that, so there's something wrong
with the auto redirection.

That was indeed broken - the order of checks were wrong. Should've checked hostname before ssl, but did it in the other order.

Should be fixed now.

--

Re: Website is now https only - please help with testing

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
> On 24 May 2016, at 21:35, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
> As some were briefed about during the pginfra session at pgcon, we have now configured the www.postgresql.org website
tobe https only.

> Any access with http should result in a redirect to https only. We will be deploying http strict transport security
ata later date, once we have had more testing.

> Speaking of testing, we'd appreciate help from others with testing the site out at this point. Please let us know
anythingthat does not work properly for you (especially if related to https, but please report other issues as well, as
theymight be "silently dependent" on the change through other backend changes bundled up with it)

A little late to the party, but I just noticed that developer.postgresql.org
doesn’t work over https while all the other x.postgresql.org sites do (a file
residing there was linked in a README).  Is that intentional?

cheers ./daniel

Date:
On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 5:31 PM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> On 24 May 2016, at 21:35, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
> As some were briefed about during the pginfra session at pgcon, we have now configured the www.postgresql.org website to be https only.
>
> Any access with http should result in a redirect to https only. We will be deploying http strict transport security at a later date, once we have had more testing.
>
> Speaking of testing, we'd appreciate help from others with testing the site out at this point. Please let us know anything that does not work properly for you (especially if related to https, but please report other issues as well, as they might be "silently dependent" on the change through other backend changes bundled up with it)

A little late to the party, but I just noticed that developer.postgresql.org
doesn’t work over https while all the other x.postgresql.org sites do (a file
residing there was linked in a README).  Is that intentional?

It's not intentional and it's not wrong. Basically we haven't gotten to that box yet. It's only the main website that's 100% there, there are still TODO items left on the others.

--

Date:

<http://www.postgresql.org/>website to be https only.

> > Any access with http should result in a redirect to https only. We will be deploying http strict transport security
ata later date, once we have had more testing.

> > Speaking of testing, we'd appreciate help from others with testing the site out at this point. Please let us know
anythingthat does not work properly for you (especially if related to https, but please report other issues as well, as
theymight be "silently dependent" on the change through other backend changes bundled up with it)

> A little late to the party, but I just noticed that developer.postgresql.org <http://developer.postgresql.org/>
> doesn’t work over https while all the other x.postgresql.org <http://x.postgresql.org/> sites do (a file
> residing there was linked in a README).  Is that intentional?
>
> It's not intentional and it's not wrong. Basically we haven't gotten to that box yet. It's only the main website
that's100% there, there are still TODO items left on the others.

Fair enough, just wanted to doublecheck (didn’t even know that site existed
until today).

cheers ./daniel