Dear Support

From
Ha Quan Le
Date:
Dear Support,

This is my talk:

  • PostgreSQL HA Database Clusters through Containment, Quan-Ha Le

I would like to upload my PPTX slides onto
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgConfUS_Talks_2016

My user: lequanha
email for profile:   nlpsr.ha@gmail.com
Firstname:  Quan-Ha
Lastname: Le

Please grant me edit permissions

Best,
Quan-Ha.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.us>
Date: Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 8:44 AM
Subject: [pgconfus2016-speakers] Uploading Slides
To: pgconfus2016-speakers@postgresql.us

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much again for presenting at PGConf US 2016 - we have been receiving wonderful feedback about your presentations!

One request we have had from people is access to your slides.  We have setup a wiki page (https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgConfUS_Talks_2016) for you to upload your slides.

If you have trouble editing the wiki, you may need to send an email to "pgsql-www@postgresql.org” to ask for edit permissions.

If you have any questions please let us know - thanks!

Jonathan

conference slides in wiki

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Hi,

I think this was ill-conceived.  Back when everybody had editor
privileges right at account creation and there was no "cool-off" period
it was perfectly fine to have people add their own slides to the wiki,
but with those two things it has now become a tremendous annoyance.  I
think we need to come up with a better system to handle the uploading of
slides to the wiki.

Re: conference slides in wiki

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 04/27/2016 08:28 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think this was ill-conceived.  Back when everybody had editor
> privileges right at account creation and there was no "cool-off" period
> it was perfectly fine to have people add their own slides to the wiki,
> but with those two things it has now become a tremendous annoyance.  I
> think we need to come up with a better system to handle the uploading of
> slides to the wiki.

I think we should just leave it to the respective conference sites.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564

Re: conference slides in wiki

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
Hi Alvaro,

I take slight exception to this as I did research the upload solutions prior:  I looked at the list of conferences with uploads (https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Related_Slides_and_Presentations) and it appeared that each conference was still following suit with uploading the talks here, even after the "cool-off” period was added.

What I would change is I would ask people to send the talks to us and someone on the PGConf US committee or a volunteer could have handled the uploads (and in fact I will send a message to the list to do that).  Unfortunately we get inundated with requests after the conference, including making the content available, that we are doing our best to triage and outsource what work we can.

Back when everybody had editor
privileges right at account creation and there was no "cool-off" period
it was perfectly fine to have people add their own slides to the wiki,
but with those two things it has now become a tremendous annoyance.  I
think we need to come up with a better system to handle the uploading of
slides to the wiki.

Per a comment later in the thread, JD suggested that we can host slides on respective conference sites, which we can do on the PGConf US side with a small tweak to the site; however I do like the fact we have a giant community repository of talks & slides.

Is it worth building a tool via the .org infrastructure to help allow people to upload slides to conferences?  I think it would be a lot of work, for one :-) but I want to try and come up with some ideas / potential solutions.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: conference slides in wiki

From
Oleg Bartunov

[...]

no-no. We should have one repository.

Is it worth building a tool via the .org infrastructure to help allow people to upload slides to conferences?  I think it would be a lot of work, for one :-) but I want to try and come up with some ideas / potential solutions.

I'd like to fill form by metadata of talk, attach file(s), provide password (valid for limited time) given by conference organizer.

Date:
On 04/28/2016 06:47 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Hi Alvaro,
>
>> On Apr 27, 2016, at 11:28 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com
>> <mailto:alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>> wrote:
>> I think this was ill-conceived.
>
> I take slight exception to this as I did research the upload solutions
> prior:  I looked at the list of conferences with uploads
> (https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Related_Slides_and_Presentations)
> and it appeared that each conference was still following suit with
> uploading the talks here, even after the "cool-off” period was added.

I think what Alvaro is saying is that the influx of talks has created a
burden for those who approve editing accounts. I think that is a
reasonable observation.

> Per a comment later in the thread, JD suggested that we can host slides
> on respective conference sites, which we can do on the PGConf US side
> with a small tweak to the site; however I do like the fact we have a
> giant community repository of talks & slides.

IMO, a page with links to the various conferences and the slides is much
more reasonable. .Org isn't really structured to handle such an influx
of this type of content and nor should it be.

JD

--

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >I think this was ill-conceived.  Back when everybody had editor
> >privileges right at account creation and there was no "cool-off" period
> >it was perfectly fine to have people add their own slides to the wiki,
> >but with those two things it has now become a tremendous annoyance.  I
> >think we need to come up with a better system to handle the uploading of
> >slides to the wiki.
>
> I think we should just leave it to the respective conference sites.

Well, I don't like that as a solution, because conference sites can go
down, lose files or whatever and the material becomes unavailable.  Our
wiki is reliable, backed up, monitored by the same people who runs all
the rest of pg infrastructure -- all of which I like.  I meant something
like, can the conference organizer team request to have the slides
emailed to them, and *they* upload to the wiki using a pre-existing
account.

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 04/28/2016 06:47 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> >Hi Alvaro,
> >
> >>On Apr 27, 2016, at 11:28 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com
> >><mailto:alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>> wrote:
> >>I think this was ill-conceived.
> >
> >I take slight exception to this as I did research the upload solutions
> >prior:  I looked at the list of conferences with uploads
> >(https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Related_Slides_and_Presentations)
> >and it appeared that each conference was still following suit with
> >uploading the talks here, even after the "cool-off” period was added.
>
> I think what Alvaro is saying is that the influx of talks has created a
> burden for those who approve editing accounts. I think that is a reasonable
> observation.

Yeah, and also for the speakers -- if they're not already set up, they
have to create the account, wait for the one-week cool-off period, then
request editor permissions.  I imagine it must be pretty annoying.

I concur with Oleg and Jon on that having a single slide repo is a huge
asset and we shouldn't lose it.

Re: conference slides in wiki

From
Dave Cramer

On 28 April 2016 at 10:31, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >I think this was ill-conceived.  Back when everybody had editor
> >privileges right at account creation and there was no "cool-off" period
> >it was perfectly fine to have people add their own slides to the wiki,
> >but with those two things it has now become a tremendous annoyance.  I
> >think we need to come up with a better system to handle the uploading of
> >slides to the wiki.
>
> I think we should just leave it to the respective conference sites.

Well, I don't like that as a solution, because conference sites can go
down, lose files or whatever and the material becomes unavailable.  Our
wiki is reliable, backed up, monitored by the same people who runs all
the rest of pg infrastructure -- all of which I like.  I meant something
like, can the conference organizer team request to have the slides
emailed to them, and *they* upload to the wiki using a pre-existing
account.

Alternatively the conference organizers know in advance who is speaking.

Providing a list of names to enable on the wiki would be far easier than individual requests.

OTOH, after a few conferences this will probably be a non-issue as most people are repeat speakers.

Dave Cramer

Date:
Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Hi Alvaro,
>
> > On Apr 27, 2016, at 11:28 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > I think this was ill-conceived.
>
> I take slight exception to this as I did research the upload solutions
> prior:  I looked at the list of conferences with uploads
> (https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Related_Slides_and_Presentations
> <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Related_Slides_and_Presentations>)
> and it appeared that each conference was still following suit with
> uploading the talks here, even after the "cool-off” period was added.

I wasn't trying to be offensive to you personally, apologies if it came
across that way.  This conference is the first one where we found
ourselves flooded with editor privs requests.

> What I would change is I would ask people to send the talks to us and
> someone on the PGConf US committee or a volunteer could have handled
> the uploads (and in fact I will send a message to the list to do
> that).  Unfortunately we get inundated with requests after the
> conference, including making the content available, that we are doing
> our best to triage and outsource what work we can.

That's true too.

Maybe we should have an application in the website that's specifically
about uploading slides.

Date:
> On Apr 28, 2016, at 12:10 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> Hi Alvaro,
>>
>>> On Apr 27, 2016, at 11:28 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> I think this was ill-conceived.
>>
>> I take slight exception to this as I did research the upload solutions
>> prior:  I looked at the list of conferences with uploads
>> (https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Related_Slides_and_Presentations
>> <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Related_Slides_and_Presentations>)
>> and it appeared that each conference was still following suit with
>> uploading the talks here, even after the "cool-off” period was added.
>
> I wasn't trying to be offensive to you personally, apologies if it came
> across that way.  This conference is the first one where we found
> ourselves flooded with editor privs requests.

Not a problem - I was not offended, hence a “slight” exception, but I do want the group to understand that I did
considerthe various options :-) There is a lot of post-conference work that organizers have to do and the more we are
ableto offload to the larger community the better for everyone - of course, that means we do not want to overwhelm
anyoneand I take full responsibility for the flood of requests that came in and I apologize for that.

I didn’t realize how overwhelmed pginfra would get by this and I just want to make sure we make it right.
Unfortunately,rumor has it that the spammers are still at it so we can’t let off of the current wiki permissions.

>> What I would change is I would ask people to send the talks to us and
>> someone on the PGConf US committee or a volunteer could have handled
>> the uploads (and in fact I will send a message to the list to do
>> that).  Unfortunately we get inundated with requests after the
>> conference, including making the content available, that we are doing
>> our best to triage and outsource what work we can.
>
> That's true too.
>
> Maybe we should have an application in the website that's specifically
> about uploading slides.

In the interim, I just sent an email to the PGConf US speakers list apologizing for the confusion and to email me the
URLs,slides, etc. so I can go ahead and modify the wiki.

In terms of the application, perhaps this is part of a larger effort of unifying the conference software.  For US, we
arelooking at other options for 2017 and will be syncing up with the EU group, which I know has distributed its
softwareto other conferences successfully.  With some joint-hacking, we may be able to make something that fulfills all
ofour needs ultimately maintains that central repository of content and encourages all of the other PG conferences to
usethe software.  It sounds good on paper, but I admit it is a bit dreamy at this point and requires quite a bit of
timeand a concerted effort ;-)

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: conference slides in wiki

From
Joe Conway
Date:
On 04/28/2016 09:10 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Maybe we should have an application in the website that's specifically
> about uploading slides.

That would be good, but I think we would want to allow a URL to an
external location as well as uploads.

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com