Wiki access warning?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
WWW,

Apparently all wiki accounts have been set to read-only mode as an
antispam measure.  We should probably post a notice on the wiki home
page, and maybe on pgsql-general/announce about this, so that people
aren't surprised when they can't edit the wiki.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Josh,

* Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
> Apparently all wiki accounts have been set to read-only mode as an
> antispam measure.  We should probably post a notice on the wiki home
> page, and maybe on pgsql-general/announce about this, so that people
> aren't surprised when they can't edit the wiki.

Not all of them.  Dave and Joe (as I recall) spent quite a bit of time
going through and setting up the right permissions for everyone who had
edited the wiki recently who weren't identified as spammers.

Thus, the change should only impact those who haven't edited it recently
and who are now trying to.  I agree that adding something to the
homepage letting people know that they need to be granted membership in
the Editor group to edit pages would be good.

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 01/04/2016 09:52 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Josh,
>
> * Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
>> Apparently all wiki accounts have been set to read-only mode as an
>> antispam measure.  We should probably post a notice on the wiki home
>> page, and maybe on pgsql-general/announce about this, so that people
>> aren't surprised when they can't edit the wiki.
>
> Not all of them.  Dave and Joe (as I recall) spent quite a bit of time
> going through and setting up the right permissions for everyone who had
> edited the wiki recently who weren't identified as spammers.
>
> Thus, the change should only impact those who haven't edited it recently
> and who are now trying to.  I agree that adding something to the
> homepage letting people know that they need to be granted membership in
> the Editor group to edit pages would be good.

exactly - accounts that have recently edited the wiki have been granted
the "editor" priviledge. We are still discussing on how to improve the
situation but the mediawiki capabilities in terms of moderation are limited.

Stefan

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 01/04/2016 09:52 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Josh,
> >
> > * Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
> >> Apparently all wiki accounts have been set to read-only mode as an
> >> antispam measure.  We should probably post a notice on the wiki home
> >> page, and maybe on pgsql-general/announce about this, so that people
> >> aren't surprised when they can't edit the wiki.
> >
> > Not all of them.  Dave and Joe (as I recall) spent quite a bit of time
> > going through and setting up the right permissions for everyone who had
> > edited the wiki recently who weren't identified as spammers.
> >
> > Thus, the change should only impact those who haven't edited it recently
> > and who are now trying to.  I agree that adding something to the
> > homepage letting people know that they need to be granted membership in
> > the Editor group to edit pages would be good.
>
> exactly - accounts that have recently edited the wiki have been granted
> the "editor" priviledge. We are still discussing on how to improve the
> situation but the mediawiki capabilities in terms of moderation are limited.

Simple idea: everyone invited to a developer meeting should get editor
privs automatically.

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Alvaro,

On Monday, January 4, 2016, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 01/04/2016 09:52 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Josh,
> >
> > * Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
> >> Apparently all wiki accounts have been set to read-only mode as an
> >> antispam measure.  We should probably post a notice on the wiki home
> >> page, and maybe on pgsql-general/announce about this, so that people
> >> aren't surprised when they can't edit the wiki.
> >
> > Not all of them.  Dave and Joe (as I recall) spent quite a bit of time
> > going through and setting up the right permissions for everyone who had
> > edited the wiki recently who weren't identified as spammers.
> >
> > Thus, the change should only impact those who haven't edited it recently
> > and who are now trying to.  I agree that adding something to the
> > homepage letting people know that they need to be granted membership in
> > the Editor group to edit pages would be good.
>
> exactly - accounts that have recently edited the wiki have been granted
> the "editor" priviledge. We are still discussing on how to improve the
> situation but the mediawiki capabilities in terms of moderation are limited.

Simple idea: everyone invited to a developer meeting should get editor
privs automatically.

Works for me, but I don't think it's very easy to get that list of wiki usernames, is it?

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 01/04/2016 09:58 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> On 01/04/2016 09:52 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
>>> Josh,

>>> Not all of them.  Dave and Joe (as I recall) spent quite a bit of time
>>> going through and setting up the right permissions for everyone who had
>>> edited the wiki recently who weren't identified as spammers.
>>>
>>> Thus, the change should only impact those who haven't edited it recently
>>> and who are now trying to.  I agree that adding something to the
>>> homepage letting people know that they need to be granted membership in
>>> the Editor group to edit pages would be good.
>>
>> exactly - accounts that have recently edited the wiki have been granted
>> the "editor" priviledge. We are still discussing on how to improve the
>> situation but the mediawiki capabilities in terms of moderation are limited.
>
> Simple idea: everyone invited to a developer meeting should get editor
> privs automatically.

yeah - but that is not nearly enough, the wiki really is for the wider
community and we need to find a more suitable approach...

Stefan

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Greg Stark
Date:
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 9:06 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
> yeah - but that is not nearly enough, the wiki really is for the wider
> community and we need to find a more suitable approach...

Ah, this explains why I couldn't upload my talks just now.

A slight improvement would be to include anyone who has ever
registered or submitted for any of the conferences. Presumably
spammers aren't going to pay actual money or submit an actual talk.

If you have emails then you could allow anyone who has posted to any
mailing list for an extended period of time on the assumption that
repeat spammers on the lists get caught out fairly quickly. I'm not
sure if email is there though.

--
greg

Re: Wiki access warning?

Date:
Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> writes:
> If you have emails then you could allow anyone who has posted to any
> mailing list for an extended period of time on the assumption that
> repeat spammers on the lists get caught out fairly quickly. I'm not
> sure if email is there though.

The info for a community account does include an email address, but
I don't know if we verify the address actually goes to the person signing
up.  If we do, I think this approach might work ... at least for people
who give the same address they post to the lists as.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Ian Barwick
Date:
On 16/01/05 5:52, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Josh,
>
> * Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
>> Apparently all wiki accounts have been set to read-only mode as an
>> antispam measure.  We should probably post a notice on the wiki home
>> page, and maybe on pgsql-general/announce about this, so that people
>> aren't surprised when they can't edit the wiki.
>
> Not all of them.  Dave and Joe (as I recall) spent quite a bit of time
> going through and setting up the right permissions for everyone who had
> edited the wiki recently who weren't identified as spammers.
>
> Thus, the change should only impact those who haven't edited it recently
> and who are now trying to.  I agree that adding something to the
> homepage letting people know that they need to be granted membership in
> the Editor group to edit pages would be good.

And information on how to get this done?

In the meantime could someone re-enable my account ("Barwick")?
I promise not to spam :)

Regards

Ian Barwick

-- Ian Barwick                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, RemoteDBA, Training &
Services

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Ian Barwick wrote:
> On 16/01/05 5:52, Stephen Frost wrote:

> > Thus, the change should only impact those who haven't edited it recently
> > and who are now trying to.  I agree that adding something to the
> > homepage letting people know that they need to be granted membership in
> > the Editor group to edit pages would be good.
>
> And information on how to get this done?

No idea.

> In the meantime could someone re-enable my account ("Barwick")?
> I promise not to spam :)

Done.

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Greg Stark wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 9:06 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
> <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
> > yeah - but that is not nearly enough, the wiki really is for the wider
> > community and we need to find a more suitable approach...
>
> Ah, this explains why I couldn't upload my talks just now.

I upped your privs -- you should be able to edit now.

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Ian Barwick
Date:
On 16/01/05 10:40, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Ian Barwick wrote:
>> On 16/01/05 5:52, Stephen Frost wrote:
>
>>> Thus, the change should only impact those who haven't edited it recently
>>> and who are now trying to.  I agree that adding something to the
>>> homepage letting people know that they need to be granted membership in
>>> the Editor group to edit pages would be good.
>>
>> And information on how to get this done?
>
> No idea.

I mean add a note along the lines of "Please do abc/contact xyz to
be granted membership", as I suspect not everyone might be on this list.

>> In the meantime could someone re-enable my account ("Barwick")?
>> I promise not to spam :)
>
> Done.

Thanks!

Date:
Ian Barwick wrote:
> On 16/01/05 10:40, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Ian Barwick wrote:

> >> And information on how to get this done?
> >
> > No idea.
>
> I mean add a note along the lines of "Please do abc/contact xyz to
> be granted membership", as I suspect not everyone might be on this list.

Oh, okay.  No idea there .. I assume that text is part of some static
file, not sure if that's editable from the web interface.

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 10:14 PM, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 9:06 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
> <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
>> yeah - but that is not nearly enough, the wiki really is for the wider
>> community and we need to find a more suitable approach...
>

> Ah, this explains why I couldn't upload my talks just now.
>
> A slight improvement would be to include anyone who has ever
> registered or submitted for any of the conferences. Presumably
> spammers aren't going to pay actual money or submit an actual talk.
>
> If you have emails then you could allow anyone who has posted to any
> mailing list for an extended period of time on the assumption that
> repeat spammers on the lists get caught out fairly quickly. I'm not
> sure if email is there though.

A fine idea, but right now that would require a PFY to trawl through
the conference attendees and mj2 users to find those people, figure
out what their usernames are and then authorise them in the horrendous
mediawiki UI. Scripting it is feasible, but certainly not simple.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 01/04/2016 10:06 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

>>> exactly - accounts that have recently edited the wiki have been granted
>>> the "editor" priviledge. We are still discussing on how to improve the
>>> situation but the mediawiki capabilities in terms of moderation are limited.
>>
>> Simple idea: everyone invited to a developer meeting should get editor
>> privs automatically.
>
> yeah - but that is not nearly enough, the wiki really is for the wider
> community and we need to find a more suitable approach...

I have now added a big boilerplate warning to the entire wiki on the
issue - it is certainly not the "best" solution but it at least should
give people a hint on where to ask...

Stefan

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
* Stefan Kaltenbrunner (stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc) wrote:
> I have now added a big boilerplate warning to the entire wiki on the
> issue - it is certainly not the "best" solution but it at least should
> give people a hint on where to ask...

And I've cleaned it up quite a bit, made it less obnoxious while still
being there, and made it a link to a new page which provides the detail.

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Julien Rouhaud
Date:
On 05/01/2016 02:40, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Ian Barwick wrote:
>> On 16/01/05 5:52, Stephen Frost wrote:
>
>>> Thus, the change should only impact those who haven't edited it recently
>>> and who are now trying to.  I agree that adding something to the
>>> homepage letting people know that they need to be granted membership in
>>> the Editor group to edit pages would be good.
>>
>> And information on how to get this done?
>
> No idea.
>
>> In the meantime could someone re-enable my account ("Barwick")?
>> I promise not to spam :)
>
> Done.

Same here, if someone could re-enable my account ("rjuju") :)

Thanks in advance!

--
Julien Rouhaud
http://dalibo.com - http://dalibo.org

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 01/05/2016 11:47 PM, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> On 05/01/2016 02:40, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Ian Barwick wrote:

>>> And information on how to get this done?
>>
>> No idea.
>>
>>> In the meantime could someone re-enable my account ("Barwick")?
>>> I promise not to spam :)
>>
>> Done.
>>

> Same here, if someone could re-enable my account ("rjuju") :)

done

Stefan

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Julien Rouhaud
Date:
On 05/01/2016 23:57, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 01/05/2016 11:47 PM, Julien Rouhaud wrote:

>>> No idea.

>>> Done.
>>>

>> Same here, if someone could re-enable my account ("rjuju") :)
>

> done
>

> Stefan

Thanks!

--
Julien Rouhaud
http://dalibo.com - http://dalibo.org

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Damien Clochard
Date:
Le 05.01.2016 23:47, Julien Rouhaud a écrit :
> On 05/01/2016 02:40, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Ian Barwick wrote:

>>> And information on how to get this done?
>>
>> No idea.
>>
>>> In the meantime could someone re-enable my account ("Barwick")?
>>> I promise not to spam :)
>>
>> Done.
>>

> Same here, if someone could re-enable my account ("rjuju") :)
>
> Thanks in advance!

Can I get editor rights too ? My account id is 'daamien', my last wiki
edit was in december...

Thanks in advance

--
Damien Clochard

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 01/14/2016 10:19 PM, Damien Clochard wrote:
> Le 05.01.2016 23:47, Julien Rouhaud a écrit :

>>> No idea.

>>> Done.
>>>

>> Same here, if someone could re-enable my account ("rjuju") :)
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>

> Can I get editor rights too ? My account id is 'daamien', my last wiki
> edit was in december...
>
> Thanks in advance

done

Stefan

Re: Wiki access warning?

From
Damien Clochard
Date:
>> Can I get editor rights too ? My account id is 'daamien', my last wiki
>> edit was in december...
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>
> done

Great! And many thanks to everyone involved in this spam battle.

Damien Clochard