Re: Wiki access warning? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Wiki access warning?
Date
List pgsql-www
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 10:14 PM, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 9:06 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
> <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
>> yeah - but that is not nearly enough, the wiki really is for the wider
>> community and we need to find a more suitable approach...
>

> Ah, this explains why I couldn't upload my talks just now.
>
> A slight improvement would be to include anyone who has ever
> registered or submitted for any of the conferences. Presumably
> spammers aren't going to pay actual money or submit an actual talk.
>
> If you have emails then you could allow anyone who has posted to any
> mailing list for an extended period of time on the assumption that
> repeat spammers on the lists get caught out fairly quickly. I'm not
> sure if email is there though.

A fine idea, but right now that would require a PFY to trawl through
the conference attendees and mj2 users to find those people, figure
out what their usernames are and then authorise them in the horrendous
mediawiki UI. Scripting it is feasible, but certainly not simple.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company