msgtxt.php archive links broken

From
Josh Kupershmidt
Date:
Hi all,

I am getting a 404 when trying to follow archive links such as:

http://www.postgresql.org/list/msgtxt.php?id=200612151650.kBFGo9E29670@momjian.us/
http://archives.postgresql.org/msgtxt.php?id=20100108124613.GL2505@timac.local

It looks like such links used to dump the raw message body, like our
current /message-id/raw/... pages.

Josh

Re: msgtxt.php archive links broken

Date:
Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> writes:
> I am getting a 404 when trying to follow archive links such as:

> http://www.postgresql.org/list/msgtxt.php?id=200612151650.kBFGo9E29670@momjian.us/

While we're griping about that sort of thing ... URLs like this used to
work to fetch a message by message-id:

http://www.postgresql.org/list/message-by-id.php?q=CAK3UJRGZfoRJsVBuhwQMAQbk1MPXx5TdOq24NxqCCGB4zQ3Ezg%40mail.gmail.com/
        regards, tom lane

Re: msgtxt.php archive links broken

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 3:45 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> writes:
>> I am getting a 404 when trying to follow archive links such as:
>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/list/msgtxt.php?id=200612151650.kBFGo9E29670@momjian.us/
>
> While we're griping about that sort of thing ... URLs like this used to
> work to fetch a message by message-id:

http://www.postgresql.org/list/message-by-id.php?q=CAK3UJRGZfoRJsVBuhwQMAQbk1MPXx5TdOq24NxqCCGB4zQ3Ezg%40mail.gmail.com/

Exactly what was the original URLs you guys tried? Becuase both those
look like the result of having been rewritten/redirected... (Possibly
incorrectly so..)

Re: msgtxt.php archive links broken

Date:
> On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 3:45 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> While we're griping about that sort of thing ... URLs like this used to
>> work to fetch a message by message-id:

http://www.postgresql.org/list/message-by-id.php?q=CAK3UJRGZfoRJsVBuhwQMAQbk1MPXx5TdOq24NxqCCGB4zQ3Ezg%40mail.gmail.com/

> Exactly what was the original URLs you guys tried? Becuase both those
> look like the result of having been rewritten/redirected... (Possibly
> incorrectly so..)

In my case that was the original URL.  I have a link on my home page for
going straight to a copied-and-pasted message ID, which works like this:

<form action="http://archives.postgresql.org/message-by-id.php"     method="get" id="goto-message-id">     Archived
messageID <input type="text" name="q" size="60" />

</form>

It's no trouble to change the form parameters, but this method requires
URLs that look like "...?something=messageid".  I don't know if the new
site layout accepts anything like that.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 3:45 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I am getting a 404 when trying to follow archive links such as:
>>
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/list/msgtxt.php?id=200612151650.kBFGo9E29670@momjian.us/
>>
>> While we're griping about that sort of thing ... URLs like this used to
>> work to fetch a message by message-id:

http://www.postgresql.org/list/message-by-id.php?q=CAK3UJRGZfoRJsVBuhwQMAQbk1MPXx5TdOq24NxqCCGB4zQ3Ezg%40mail.gmail.com/

> Exactly what was the original URLs you guys tried? Becuase both those
> look like the result of having been rewritten/redirected... (Possibly
> incorrectly so..)

Well, I got the first link as the first hit from a Google search
result (I googled for "pdfjadetex multiple runs links").  Google still
has a cache of that page, so surely it must have worked at some point.

The second link I posted, I dug up from my inbox:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20100109045606.GG3635@alvh.no-ip.org

Date:
On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 3:45 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> While we're griping about that sort of thing ... URLs like this used to
>>> work to fetch a message by message-id:

http://www.postgresql.org/list/message-by-id.php?q=CAK3UJRGZfoRJsVBuhwQMAQbk1MPXx5TdOq24NxqCCGB4zQ3Ezg%40mail.gmail.com/

>> Exactly what was the original URLs you guys tried? Becuase both those
>> look like the result of having been rewritten/redirected... (Possibly
>> incorrectly so..)
>
> In my case that was the original URL.  I have a link on my home page for
> going straight to a copied-and-pasted message ID, which works like this:
>
> <form action="http://archives.postgresql.org/message-by-id.php"
>       method="get" id="goto-message-id">
>       Archived message ID <input type="text" name="q" size="60" />
> </form>

Not quite. That form generates an url to archives.postgresql.org - so
what you pasted above clearly is the redirected version.

I noticed that this one is different from the one Josh Kupershmidt
reported (that one was for msgtxt.php), so if your custom for was the
only case where this one was actually hit, I'm not sure it's worth
fixing, since you can easily fix it per below.

Have you or anybody else seen this URL pattern in links that are
actually stored anywhere?

> It's no trouble to change the form parameters, but this method requires
> URLs that look like "...?something=messageid".  I don't know if the new
> site layout accepts anything like that.

If you input any messageid in the general search box, it will do the
right thing transparently now. So you can just put
http://www.postgresql.org/search/ as your target for the search.

--Magnus HaganderMe: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Date:
On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>>> While we're griping about that sort of thing ... URLs like this used to
>>> work to fetch a message by message-id:

http://www.postgresql.org/list/message-by-id.php?q=CAK3UJRGZfoRJsVBuhwQMAQbk1MPXx5TdOq24NxqCCGB4zQ3Ezg%40mail.gmail.com/

>> Exactly what was the original URLs you guys tried? Becuase both those
>> look like the result of having been rewritten/redirected... (Possibly
>> incorrectly so..)
>
> Well, I got the first link as the first hit from a Google search
> result (I googled for "pdfjadetex multiple runs links").  Google still
> has a cache of that page, so surely it must have worked at some point.

Ugh. So we still have examples left of where google indexed pages that
should have never been let outside of a robots.txt realm in thef irst
place :( We had multiple parts of the archives indexed multiple times
around.

But no, it's not the first link you get. You get a link to
archives.postgresql.org, that then redirects there... (with googles
fucked up javascript-only redirection, not an actual http redirection
even.. But I guess they have to track you properly..)

Anyway. Since it's clearly out there, I've fixed the redirect rules
for it. Will deploy shortly.

> The second link I posted, I dug up from my inbox:
>   http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20100109045606.GG3635@alvh.no-ip.org

That one is also suffering from the escaping-of-messageid's issue.
That's double-unpretty :)