Re: [GENERAL] 8.3 doc issue

Date:

Yeah, wrong place, right place is pgsql-www.

> I did a search in the docs of pg_standby and was presented this link:

> Based on your search term, we recommend the following links:
>     * http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/contrib/pg_standby/
> but that link gives a 404:

This has been complained of before.  I know that the right place for our
cvsweb is "anoncvs", but the "developer" address used to work and there
are still many links to that in our archives as well as other places.
Can't we get a redirect in there?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [GENERAL] 8.3 doc issue

From
Alvaro Herrera
Tom Lane wrote:
> Ray Stell <stellr@cns.vt.edu> writes:

> > Based on your search term, we recommend the following links:
> >     * http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/contrib/pg_standby/
> > but that link gives a 404:
>
> This has been complained of before.  I know that the right place for our
> cvsweb is "anoncvs", but the "developer" address used to work and there
> are still many links to that in our archives as well as other places.
> Can't we get a redirect in there?

Yes.  It has been fixed and broken several times in the past.  I think
this is on Marc's court; my guess is that it breaks every time Apache is
upgraded on that server.

Re: [GENERAL] 8.3 doc issue

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Ray Stell <stellr@cns.vt.edu> writes:
>
>>> Based on your search term, we recommend the following links:
>>>     * http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/contrib/pg_standby/
>>> but that link gives a 404:
>>
>> This has been complained of before.  I know that the right place for our
>> cvsweb is "anoncvs", but the "developer" address used to work and there
>> are still many links to that in our archives as well as other places.
>> Can't we get a redirect in there?
>
> Yes.  It has been fixed and broken several times in the past.  I think
> this is on Marc's court; my guess is that it breaks every time Apache is
> upgraded on that server.

That makes zero sense, but let's deal with the issue vs "yet another"
haphazard guess at the cause ...

The problem appears to be that *at some point*, someone renamed the
cvsweb.cgi script:

-r-xr--r--  1 root  wheel  126590 Sep 25 21:36 cvsweb.cgi.not_used

This was *ages* ago though, so am I bit confused as to how it ever worked

i just re-installed it and now the URL works again ... I just made two
changes to the cvsweb.conf file itself so that it matches what is
displayed on anoncvs as well (footer and Diff format) ...

Let me know if there are any other issues / changes that need to be made

----

Re: [GENERAL] 8.3 doc issue

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>> Yes.  It has been fixed and broken several times in the past.  I think
>> this is on Marc's court; my guess is that it breaks every time Apache is
>> upgraded on that server.
>
> That makes zero sense, but let's deal with the issue vs "yet another"
> haphazard guess at the cause ...

Let's just say I'm happy you fixed it, and I hope it won't break again.

Re: [GENERAL] 8.3 doc issue

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>>> Yes.  It has been fixed and broken several times in the past.  I think
>>> this is on Marc's court; my guess is that it breaks every time Apache is
>>> upgraded on that server.
>>
>> That makes zero sense, but let's deal with the issue vs "yet another"
>> haphazard guess at the cause ...
>
> Let's just say I'm happy you fixed it, and I hope it won't break again.

Surely the correct fix is to do an http level permanent redirect (301)
to anoncvs.postgresql.org, rather than maintain both servers.

--
Dave Page

Re: [GENERAL] 8.3 doc issue

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>> Tom Lane wrote:

>>> This has been complained of before.  I know that the right place for our
>>> cvsweb is "anoncvs", but the "developer" address used to work and there
>>> are still many links to that in our archives as well as other places.
>>> Can't we get a redirect in there?
>>
>> Yes.  It has been fixed and broken several times in the past.  I think
>> this is on Marc's court; my guess is that it breaks every time Apache is
>> upgraded on that server.
>
> That makes zero sense, but let's deal with the issue vs "yet another"
> haphazard guess at the cause ...
>
> The problem appears to be that *at some point*, someone renamed the
> cvsweb.cgi script:
>
> -r-xr--r--  1 root  wheel  126590 Sep 25 21:36 cvsweb.cgi.not_used
>
> This was *ages* ago though, so am I bit confused as to how it ever
> worked ...

That is intentional. It is supposed to be a *redirect* to the new site.

> i just re-installed it and now the URL works again ... I just made two
> changes to the cvsweb.conf file itself so that it matches what is
> displayed on anoncvs as well (footer and Diff format) ...
>
> Let me know if there are any other issues / changes that need to be made

Yeah, please revert that and make it a redirect instead :-)

The problem itself is twofold. Because the link in the docbot database
should be updated to point to anoncvs and not developer. But that's not
a Marc thing :-) And the old style links (developer.pg.org) should be
made working through the redirect anyway, because there are likely a
number of such links out there that we cannot change.

//Magnus

Re: [GENERAL] 8.3 doc issue

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

> The problem itself is twofold. Because the link in the docbot database
> should be updated to point to anoncvs and not developer. But that's not
> a Marc thing :-) And the old style links (developer.pg.org) should be
> made working through the redirect anyway, because there are likely a
> number of such links out there that we cannot change.

Yes, for example
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2006-03/msg00356.php

Re: [GENERAL] 8.3 doc issue

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Dave Page wrote:

> Surely the correct fix is to do an http level permanent redirect (301)
> to anoncvs.postgresql.org, rather than maintain both servers.

Not sure what broke then, as that was what was there before ... and I just
uncommented the Redirect, and it works now too ...

It now has:
        # cvsweb service is moved        Redirect /cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/ http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.
cgi/pgsql/        Redirect /cvsweb.cgi http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi

The first deals with some legacy URLs that may be floating around, and the
second catches the normal stuff ...

Tested both from here, and both appear to rediret fine to anoncvs ... let
me know if there is a problem still ...

----