Re: [GENERAL] 8.3 doc issue - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [GENERAL] 8.3 doc issue
Date
List pgsql-www
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>> Tom Lane wrote:

>>> This has been complained of before.  I know that the right place for our
>>> cvsweb is "anoncvs", but the "developer" address used to work and there
>>> are still many links to that in our archives as well as other places.
>>> Can't we get a redirect in there?
>>
>> Yes.  It has been fixed and broken several times in the past.  I think
>> this is on Marc's court; my guess is that it breaks every time Apache is
>> upgraded on that server.
>
> That makes zero sense, but let's deal with the issue vs "yet another"
> haphazard guess at the cause ...
>
> The problem appears to be that *at some point*, someone renamed the
> cvsweb.cgi script:
>
> -r-xr--r--  1 root  wheel  126590 Sep 25 21:36 cvsweb.cgi.not_used
>
> This was *ages* ago though, so am I bit confused as to how it ever
> worked ...

That is intentional. It is supposed to be a *redirect* to the new site.

> i just re-installed it and now the URL works again ... I just made two
> changes to the cvsweb.conf file itself so that it matches what is
> displayed on anoncvs as well (footer and Diff format) ...
>
> Let me know if there are any other issues / changes that need to be made

Yeah, please revert that and make it a redirect instead :-)

The problem itself is twofold. Because the link in the docbot database
should be updated to point to anoncvs and not developer. But that's not
a Marc thing :-) And the old style links (developer.pg.org) should be
made working through the redirect anyway, because there are likely a
number of such links out there that we cannot change.

//Magnus