Missing bug-report numbers?

Date:
There's somebody over in pgsql-bugs complaining about lack of response
to his bug report #4593.  Well, no such bug number came by here, nor is
it in the archives.  The adjacent bug numbers are also missing, and I
notice quite a few other gaps.  What might be the cause of missing
bug numbers?

For reference sake, the last couple dozen bugs that did arrive here are
Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4566: pg_stop_backup() reports incorrect STOP WAL LOCATIOSubject: [BUGS] BUG #4567: Clustering on
GISTINDEX clobbers records in table Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4568: sporadic error doing COUNT(*) on empty tableSubject:
[BUGS]BUG #4572: Incorrect error message when using wrong password wSubject: [BUGS] BUG #4573: download problemSubject:
[BUGS]BUG #4574: LIKE fails on non-varying character with no wildcarSubject: [BUGS] BUG #4575: All page cache in
shared_bufferspinned (duplicatedSubject: [BUGS] BUG #4576: Postgres Windows service crashesSubject: [BUGS] BUG #4578:
Notreleaseing memory from PQmakeEmptyPGresult whenSubject: [BUGS] BUG #4579: to_char & utf8Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4580:
selectsubstring ('a' from '(b)?(a)') returns nullSubject: [BUGS] BUG #4581: Difficult uninstallSubject: [BUGS] BUG
#4582:Renaming sequences and default valueSubject: [BUGS] BUG #4583: Db stopSubject: [BUGS] BUG #4584: PostgreSQL
servicedoesn't startSubject: [BUGS] BUG #4585: out parameter name cuases disruption in custom aggrSubject: [BUGS] BUG
#4586:Supporting of Binary instead Bytea for Primary KeysSubject: [BUGS] BUG #4588: post gres installation
problemSubject:[BUGS] BUG #4589: Postgressql database server 8.3 service fails to stSubject: [BUGS] BUG #4591:
postgres.exemore than 150 processes runnedSubject: [BUGS] BUG #4596: information_schema.table_privileges is way too
slowSubject:[BUGS] BUG #4597: Can't join the mailing lists!Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4599: bugfix for contrib/dblink module

        regards, tom lane

Re: Missing bug-report numbers?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Most likely, it got caught in the spamfilter. Anything that comes
through the bug report form is just sent to pgsql-bugs@, so it'll pass
through both the maia filters and potentially through moderation as well.

Maybe Marc has some logs that'll show if it was dropped? If there are,
it should be easy enough to search on the bugnumber...

//Magnus

Tom Lane wrote:
> There's somebody over in pgsql-bugs complaining about lack of response
> to his bug report #4593.  Well, no such bug number came by here, nor is
> it in the archives.  The adjacent bug numbers are also missing, and I
> notice quite a few other gaps.  What might be the cause of missing
> bug numbers?
>
> For reference sake, the last couple dozen bugs that did arrive here are
>
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4566: pg_stop_backup() reports incorrect STOP WAL LOCATIO
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4567: Clustering on GIST INDEX clobbers records in table
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4568: sporadic error doing COUNT(*) on empty table
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4572: Incorrect error message when using wrong password w
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4573: download problem
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4574: LIKE fails on non-varying character with no wildcar
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4575: All page cache in shared_buffers pinned (duplicated
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4576: Postgres Windows service crashes
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4578: Not releaseing memory from PQmakeEmptyPGresult when
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4579: to_char & utf8
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4580: select substring ('a' from '(b)?(a)') returns null
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4581: Difficult uninstall
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4582: Renaming sequences and default value
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4583: Db stop
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4584: PostgreSQL service doesn't start
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4585: out parameter name cuases disruption in custom aggr
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4586: Supporting of Binary instead Bytea for Primary Keys
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4588: post gres installation problem
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4589: Postgressql database server 8.3 service fails to st
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4591: postgres.exe more than 150 processes runned
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4596: information_schema.table_privileges is way too slow
>  Subject: [BUGS] BUG #4599: bugfix for contrib/dblink module
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: Missing bug-report numbers?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Most likely, it got caught in the spamfilter. Anything that comes
> through the bug report form is just sent to pgsql-bugs@, so it'll pass
> through both the maia filters and potentially through moderation as well.

I think the problem is that there aren't enough moderators for
pgsql-bugs (and a bunch of other lists as well).

Re: Missing bug-report numbers?

From
Chander Ganesan
Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> Most likely, it got caught in the spamfilter. Anything that comes
>> through the bug report form is just sent to pgsql-bugs@, so it'll pass
>> through both the maia filters and potentially through moderation as well.
>>

> I think the problem is that there aren't enough moderators for
> pgsql-bugs (and a bunch of other lists as well).

I'm willing to do some list moderation if that will help.

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.

Re: Missing bug-report numbers?

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 4:11 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> There's somebody over in pgsql-bugs complaining about lack of response
> to his bug report #4593.  Well, no such bug number came by here, nor is
> it in the archives.  The adjacent bug numbers are also missing, and I
> notice quite a few other gaps.  What might be the cause of missing
> bug numbers?

Many are spam. Because we don't require a community registration to
log bugs, we often got junk submissions from bots/idiots. Because the
form sends the bugs as though they were from the submitter, most are
then caught in the moderation queue where they get zapped. It's
possible that a real one got lost that way of course.

I'd prefer to require a community account, but others have wanted to
keep the bug-reporting bar as low as possible in the past.

--
Dave Page

Re: Missing bug-report numbers?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 08:30 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 4:11 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > There's somebody over in pgsql-bugs complaining about lack of response
> > to his bug report #4593.  Well, no such bug number came by here, nor is
> > it in the archives.  The adjacent bug numbers are also missing, and I
> > notice quite a few other gaps.  What might be the cause of missing
> > bug numbers?
>
> Many are spam. Because we don't require a community registration to
> log bugs, we often got junk submissions from bots/idiots. Because the
> form sends the bugs as though they were from the submitter, most are
> then caught in the moderation queue where they get zapped. It's
> possible that a real one got lost that way of course.
>
> I'd prefer to require a community account, but others have wanted to
> keep the bug-reporting bar as low as possible in the past.

Perhaps it is time to re-open that discussion.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/  The PostgreSQL
Company,serving since 1997

Re: Missing bug-report numbers?

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 08:30 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 4:11 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> There's somebody over in pgsql-bugs complaining about lack of response
>>> to his bug report #4593.  Well, no such bug number came by here, nor is
>>> it in the archives.  The adjacent bug numbers are also missing, and I
>>> notice quite a few other gaps.  What might be the cause of missing
>>> bug numbers?
>> Many are spam. Because we don't require a community registration to
>> log bugs, we often got junk submissions from bots/idiots. Because the
>> form sends the bugs as though they were from the submitter, most are
>> then caught in the moderation queue where they get zapped. It's
>> possible that a real one got lost that way of course.
>>
>> I'd prefer to require a community account, but others have wanted to
>> keep the bug-reporting bar as low as possible in the past.
>
> Perhaps it is time to re-open that discussion.

while keeping the bar as low as possible is important I fully support
the idea as restricting the bug report form to community accounts only.
The success of the wiki (which requires community login) has proven that
this kind of "barrier" is not really a problem in practice imho.

Stefan

Re: Missing bug-report numbers?

Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> while keeping the bar as low as possible is important I fully support
> the idea as restricting the bug report form to community accounts only.

How exactly would that help the problem at hand?  If the mail generated
by the bug form continues to go through the spam filters then we'll
still have the same issue.

Date:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> > while keeping the bar as low as possible is important I fully support
> > the idea as restricting the bug report form to community accounts only.
>
> How exactly would that help the problem at hand?  If the mail generated
> by the bug form continues to go through the spam filters then we'll
> still have the same issue.

If we use community login, we could white list.

Joshua D. Drake

--

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
>>> while keeping the bar as low as possible is important I fully support
>>> the idea as restricting the bug report form to community accounts only.
>> How exactly would that help the problem at hand?  If the mail generated
>> by the bug form continues to go through the spam filters then we'll
>> still have the same issue.
>
> If we use community login, we could white list.

exactly ;-)

Stefan

Re: Missing bug-report numbers?

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Date:

Re: Missing bug-report numbers?

From
Guillaume Smet
Date:
Greg Sabino Mullane a écrit :
> Sorry, but the success of the wiki is not a good indication of other things,
> such as bug reports from random people. Forcing an account creation just
> to report a bug is one of the most annoying and counter-productive practices
> in the history of open-source projects, and I really hope Postgres has no
> intention of going there.

+1.

Why not just add a simple question to the form to prevent the bots from
submitting it?

Something like "Write PostgreSQL in this field:" should be sufficient
IMHO. It's just an example, I'm pretty sure we can come up with
something simple enough for everyone.

I don't think this form has sufficient value for spammers to make them
write something specific to it.

--
Guillaume