Re: Missing bug-report numbers? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: Missing bug-report numbers?
Date
Re: Missing bug-report numbers?  ("Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com>)
List pgsql-www
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 08:30 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 4:11 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> There's somebody over in pgsql-bugs complaining about lack of response
>>> to his bug report #4593.  Well, no such bug number came by here, nor is
>>> it in the archives.  The adjacent bug numbers are also missing, and I
>>> notice quite a few other gaps.  What might be the cause of missing
>>> bug numbers?
>> Many are spam. Because we don't require a community registration to
>> log bugs, we often got junk submissions from bots/idiots. Because the
>> form sends the bugs as though they were from the submitter, most are
>> then caught in the moderation queue where they get zapped. It's
>> possible that a real one got lost that way of course.
>>
>> I'd prefer to require a community account, but others have wanted to
>> keep the bug-reporting bar as low as possible in the past.
>
> Perhaps it is time to re-open that discussion.

while keeping the bar as low as possible is important I fully support
the idea as restricting the bug report form to community accounts only.
The success of the wiki (which requires community login) has proven that
this kind of "barrier" is not really a problem in practice imho.

Stefan