Re: PostgreSQL GIT mirror status - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Daniel Farina
Subject Re: PostgreSQL GIT mirror status
Date
List pgsql-www
On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 December 2008 00:00:39 Jeff Davis wrote:
>> One question though: does "git repack" ever get run?
>
> Yes, after every update.

Follow-up question: does "git repack -a -d" ever get run?

I have also noticed slow fetching and have seen that (via the HTTP url
at http://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git/objects/pack/) that
there seems to be a relatively large number of packs that could be to
blame.

Important side note: I don't think "git repack -a -d" is 'safe' with
dumber git protocols like HTTP, so any in-progress HTTP-based pulls
may encounter 'interesting' effects at the moment the repack finishes
and prunes away old packs.

If you want to be really thorough, consider heeding the mail archived
at http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2007-12/msg00165.html and running a
extensive repack overnight. It *might* be worth it if it has not been
done at least once already.

fdr