Please no "sale" News items

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
WWW admins,

As much as we might like AM Software, I really don't think the PostgreSQL
home page is the appropriate place to carry their sale announcements:

http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.782
http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.850

Can we please only take announcements of *new* products from commercial
vendors?  That was the rule ...

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Please no "sale" News items

From
Dave Page
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> WWW admins,
>
> As much as we might like AM Software, I really don't think the PostgreSQL
> home page is the appropriate place to carry their sale announcements:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.782
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.850
>
> Can we please only take announcements of *new* products from commercial
> vendors?  That was the rule ...

The only rule along those lines that I recall was 'one beta announcement
only' for each major version of a commercial product.

I'm on the fence about this particular issue, but I guess I would side
with you if we started getting lots of these from different companies
(or lots from AM Software).

Regards, Dave

Re: Please no "sale" News items

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Dave,

> The only rule along those lines that I recall was 'one beta announcement
> only' for each major version of a commercial product.

I'll have to dig thought the archives to quote.

I know my proposal was "For commerical companies, brand new or major versions
increases of products/services only."  A *sale* is not a product or service,
and has zero relevance to PostgreSQL.

Or, do put it another way, this vendor is using the PostgreSQL site for free
online advertising for their online store.  I thought we eliminated the
banner ads because we didn't want our site cheapened with irrelevant
commercial traffic?  If we're going to reverse that and take advertisements,
then let's at least collect some money for them!

> I'm on the fence about this particular issue, but I guess I would side
> with you if we started getting lots of these from different companies
> (or lots from AM Software).

AM software has been sending them every 6 weeks so far.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Please no "sale" News items

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Please no "sale" News items

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> I would note that AM software has always been very responsive to the
> community and that they are only doing this because we haven't said
> anything and we continue to approve the posts.

I'm not saying AM software is bad.  I'm saying that avertising someone's sale
is inappropriate for the PostgreSQL news.

If the WWW team doesn't think it is, Josh, then you can I can start posting
monthly notices advertising Sun and CommandPrompt's services.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Please no "sale" News items

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Please no "sale" News items

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Please no "sale" News items

From
Decibel!
Date:
On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 04:34:22PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> WWW admins,
>
> As much as we might like AM Software, I really don't think the PostgreSQL
> home page is the appropriate place to carry their sale announcements:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.782
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.850
>
> Can we please only take announcements of *new* products from commercial
> vendors?  That was the rule ...

Speaking of rules... are they posted anywhere? If not, can we get them
in the admin interface?
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Re: Please no "sale" News items

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 09:40:52PM -0500, Decibel! wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 04:34:22PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > WWW admins,
> >
> > As much as we might like AM Software, I really don't think the PostgreSQL
> > home page is the appropriate place to carry their sale announcements:
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.782
> > http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.850
> >
> > Can we please only take announcements of *new* products from commercial
> > vendors?  That was the rule ...
>
> Speaking of rules... are they posted anywhere? If not, can we get them
> in the admin interface?

This is the closest I know of:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2006-07/msg00031.php

But that one even contains a bullet that we need to write them down
somewhere. Nobody has done it yet though, so feel free to take a stab at
that :-(

//Magnus