News - some proposals

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
OK - I think I've pretty much got to grips with the setting up the cvs
of the website (sorry about the test news items). I'd like to propose
some small changes to the news submission/review/viewing system.

1. Enclosing simple URLs or email addresses in [] makes them clickable.
So, [dev@archonet.com] becomes a mailto: link, [http://www.archonet.com]
  a http: link.
Same to happen to "posted_by" if it's an email address.

2. New field "admin_contacts" holding multiple email-addrs
One or more comma-separated email addresses to be used while approving
the news item. Not displayed to the public.

3. Now "posted_by" is a contact email/name for the public
So that it can now read "ACME Inc". See sample news item [1] where we
have the email address of some fella at the PR company posting the press
release. Not actually much use to many readers.

4. Preview option
A preview button to show how the news item will look in three views:
   i. Latest news box on home-page
  ii. News-archive list
iii. News story
Preview to show with all styling and to be available before the news
item is submitted. Same preview to be used from admin pages.

5. Make sure story has useful text
This might be helped by #5, but probably needs enforcing anyway. Again,
see the example news story [1] where the summary is fine, but the story
is empty.

I'll put together patches over the next few days for these if people are
interested.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.540

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: News - some proposals

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> OK - I think I've pretty much got to grips with the setting
> up the cvs of the website (sorry about the test news items).

Great.

> I'd like to propose some small changes to the news
> submission/review/viewing system.
>
> 1. Enclosing simple URLs or email addresses in [] makes them
> clickable.
> So, [dev@archonet.com] becomes a mailto: link,
> [http://www.archonet.com]
>   a http: link.
> Same to happen to "posted_by" if it's an email address.

Sounds good.

> 2. New field "admin_contacts" holding multiple email-addrs
> One or more comma-separated email addresses to be used while
> approving the news item. Not displayed to the public.

Also sounds good. Just make sure the difference is clearly explained.

> 3. Now "posted_by" is a contact email/name for the public So
> that it can now read "ACME Inc". See sample news item [1]
> where we have the email address of some fella at the PR
> company posting the press release. Not actually much use to
> many readers.

Yup.

> 4. Preview option
> A preview button to show how the news item will look in three views:
>    i. Latest news box on home-page
>   ii. News-archive list
> iii. News story
> Preview to show with all styling and to be available before
> the news item is submitted. Same preview to be used from admin pages.

Yes, this is definitly wanted - been needed for a long time.

> I'll put together patches over the next few days for these if
> people are interested.

Please do!

//Magnus

Re: News - some proposals

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tuesday 25 April 2006 16:03, Richard Huxton wrote:
> OK - I think I've pretty much got to grips with the setting up the cvs
> of the website (sorry about the test news items). I'd like to propose
> some small changes to the news submission/review/viewing system.
>
> 1. Enclosing simple URLs or email addresses in [] makes them clickable.
> So, [dev@archonet.com] becomes a mailto: link, [http://www.archonet.com]
>   a http: link.
> Same to happen to "posted_by" if it's an email address.

At one point I thought Devrim had already done this, but it doesn't seem to
work that way now, so we probably should make it happen. The only question in
my mind is why require the [] ?  We could look for any url / email and just
make it linkable.

> 2. New field "admin_contacts" holding multiple email-addrs
> One or more comma-separated email addresses to be used while approving
> the news item. Not displayed to the public.

This should be displayed on the admin news approval overview page.

> 3. Now "posted_by" is a contact email/name for the public
> So that it can now read "ACME Inc". See sample news item [1] where we
> have the email address of some fella at the PR company posting the press
> release. Not actually much use to many readers.

Do you intend to allow non-email and/or urls in this field?

> 4. Preview option
> A preview button to show how the news item will look in three views:
>    i. Latest news box on home-page
>   ii. News-archive list
> iii. News story
> Preview to show with all styling and to be available before the news
> item is submitted. Same preview to be used from admin pages.

Sounds good.

> 5. Make sure story has useful text
> This might be helped by #5, but probably needs enforcing anyway. Again,
> see the example news story [1] where the summary is fine, but the story
> is empty.

I don't quite understand how you are going to enforce this, but it sounds
good :-)

> I'll put together patches over the next few days for these if people are
> interested.

Sounds good to me.

--
Robert Treat

Re: News - some proposals

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 April 2006 16:03, Richard Huxton wrote:
>> OK - I think I've pretty much got to grips with the setting up the cvs
>> of the website (sorry about the test news items). I'd like to propose
>> some small changes to the news submission/review/viewing system.
>>
>> 1. Enclosing simple URLs or email addresses in [] makes them clickable.
>> So, [dev@archonet.com] becomes a mailto: link, [http://www.archonet.com]
>>   a http: link.
>> Same to happen to "posted_by" if it's an email address.
>>

> At one point I thought Devrim had already done this, but it doesn't seem to
> work that way now, so we probably should make it happen. The only question in
> my mind is why require the [] ?  We could look for any url / email and just
> make it linkable.

In case the regexp gets it wrong. For example, although it's technically
  permitted to finish a URL on a . it's probably the end of a sentence.

>> 2. New field "admin_contacts" holding multiple email-addrs
>> One or more comma-separated email addresses to be used while approving
>> the news item. Not displayed to the public.
>
> This should be displayed on the admin news approval overview page.

OK

>> 3. Now "posted_by" is a contact email/name for the public
>> So that it can now read "ACME Inc". See sample news item [1] where we
>> have the email address of some fella at the PR company posting the press
>> release. Not actually much use to many readers.
>
> Do you intend to allow non-email and/or urls in this field?

Yes, I'm not sure the poster is always the person you want to contact.
If there is a URL then we link-ify it of course.

>> 4. Preview option
>> A preview button to show how the news item will look in three views:
>>    i. Latest news box on home-page
>>   ii. News-archive list
>> iii. News story
>> Preview to show with all styling and to be available before the news
>> item is submitted. Same preview to be used from admin pages.
>>

> Sounds good.
>
>> 5. Make sure story has useful text
>> This might be helped by #5, but probably needs enforcing anyway. Again,
>> see the example news story [1] where the summary is fine, but the story
>> is empty.
>>

> I don't quite understand how you are going to enforce this, but it sounds
> good :-)

Just don't approve the story. I'm not sure it's worth having an option
to allow submitters to re-edit the item though. They can always email
corrections if needs be.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: News - some proposals

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wednesday 26 April 2006 09:48, Richard Huxton wrote:
> >> 1. Enclosing simple URLs or email addresses in [] makes them clickable.
> >> So, [dev@archonet.com] becomes a mailto: link, [http://www.archonet.com]
> >>   a http: link.
> >> Same to happen to "posted_by" if it's an email address.
> >
> > At one point I thought Devrim had already done this, but it doesn't seem
> > to work that way now, so we probably should make it happen. The only
> > question in my mind is why require the [] ?  We could look for any url /
> > email and just make it linkable.
>
> In case the regexp gets it wrong. For example, although it's technically
>   permitted to finish a URL on a . it's probably the end of a sentence.

Ok, just make sure to include some help text on the submission form so
submitters know what is expected.

> >> 5. Make sure story has useful text
> >> This might be helped by #5, but probably needs enforcing anyway. Again,
> >> see the example news story [1] where the summary is fine, but the story
> >> is empty.
> >
> > I don't quite understand how you are going to enforce this, but it sounds
> > good :-)
>
> Just don't approve the story. I'm not sure it's worth having an option
> to allow submitters to re-edit the item though. They can always email
> corrections if needs be.

Ah, I think the thing is we have pretty low standards for what is required for
a "full story"; ie. just pointing to the press release is ok (though
obviously better if it is linkified).  This is more of a procedural thing
though than a code thing.

--
Robert Treat