Re: News - some proposals - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: News - some proposals
Date
List pgsql-www
On Tuesday 25 April 2006 16:03, Richard Huxton wrote:
> OK - I think I've pretty much got to grips with the setting up the cvs
> of the website (sorry about the test news items). I'd like to propose
> some small changes to the news submission/review/viewing system.
>
> 1. Enclosing simple URLs or email addresses in [] makes them clickable.
> So, [dev@archonet.com] becomes a mailto: link, [http://www.archonet.com]
>   a http: link.
> Same to happen to "posted_by" if it's an email address.

At one point I thought Devrim had already done this, but it doesn't seem to
work that way now, so we probably should make it happen. The only question in
my mind is why require the [] ?  We could look for any url / email and just
make it linkable.

> 2. New field "admin_contacts" holding multiple email-addrs
> One or more comma-separated email addresses to be used while approving
> the news item. Not displayed to the public.

This should be displayed on the admin news approval overview page.

> 3. Now "posted_by" is a contact email/name for the public
> So that it can now read "ACME Inc". See sample news item [1] where we
> have the email address of some fella at the PR company posting the press
> release. Not actually much use to many readers.

Do you intend to allow non-email and/or urls in this field?

> 4. Preview option
> A preview button to show how the news item will look in three views:
>    i. Latest news box on home-page
>   ii. News-archive list
> iii. News story
> Preview to show with all styling and to be available before the news
> item is submitted. Same preview to be used from admin pages.

Sounds good.

> 5. Make sure story has useful text
> This might be helped by #5, but probably needs enforcing anyway. Again,
> see the example news story [1] where the summary is fine, but the story
> is empty.

I don't quite understand how you are going to enforce this, but it sounds
good :-)

> I'll put together patches over the next few days for these if people are
> interested.

Sounds good to me.

--
Robert Treat