News - some proposals - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Richard Huxton
Subject News - some proposals
Date
List pgsql-www
OK - I think I've pretty much got to grips with the setting up the cvs
of the website (sorry about the test news items). I'd like to propose
some small changes to the news submission/review/viewing system.

1. Enclosing simple URLs or email addresses in [] makes them clickable.
So, [dev@archonet.com] becomes a mailto: link, [http://www.archonet.com]
  a http: link.
Same to happen to "posted_by" if it's an email address.

2. New field "admin_contacts" holding multiple email-addrs
One or more comma-separated email addresses to be used while approving
the news item. Not displayed to the public.

3. Now "posted_by" is a contact email/name for the public
So that it can now read "ACME Inc". See sample news item [1] where we
have the email address of some fella at the PR company posting the press
release. Not actually much use to many readers.

4. Preview option
A preview button to show how the news item will look in three views:
   i. Latest news box on home-page
  ii. News-archive list
iii. News story
Preview to show with all styling and to be available before the news
item is submitted. Same preview to be used from admin pages.

5. Make sure story has useful text
This might be helped by #5, but probably needs enforcing anyway. Again,
see the example news story [1] where the summary is fine, but the story
is empty.

I'll put together patches over the next few days for these if people are
interested.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.540

--
   Richard Huxton