Re: News - some proposals - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: News - some proposals
Date
List pgsql-www
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 April 2006 16:03, Richard Huxton wrote:
>> OK - I think I've pretty much got to grips with the setting up the cvs
>> of the website (sorry about the test news items). I'd like to propose
>> some small changes to the news submission/review/viewing system.
>>
>> 1. Enclosing simple URLs or email addresses in [] makes them clickable.
>> So, [dev@archonet.com] becomes a mailto: link, [http://www.archonet.com]
>>   a http: link.
>> Same to happen to "posted_by" if it's an email address.
>>

> At one point I thought Devrim had already done this, but it doesn't seem to
> work that way now, so we probably should make it happen. The only question in
> my mind is why require the [] ?  We could look for any url / email and just
> make it linkable.

In case the regexp gets it wrong. For example, although it's technically
  permitted to finish a URL on a . it's probably the end of a sentence.

>> 2. New field "admin_contacts" holding multiple email-addrs
>> One or more comma-separated email addresses to be used while approving
>> the news item. Not displayed to the public.
>
> This should be displayed on the admin news approval overview page.

OK

>> 3. Now "posted_by" is a contact email/name for the public
>> So that it can now read "ACME Inc". See sample news item [1] where we
>> have the email address of some fella at the PR company posting the press
>> release. Not actually much use to many readers.
>
> Do you intend to allow non-email and/or urls in this field?

Yes, I'm not sure the poster is always the person you want to contact.
If there is a URL then we link-ify it of course.

>> 4. Preview option
>> A preview button to show how the news item will look in three views:
>>    i. Latest news box on home-page
>>   ii. News-archive list
>> iii. News story
>> Preview to show with all styling and to be available before the news
>> item is submitted. Same preview to be used from admin pages.
>>

> Sounds good.
>
>> 5. Make sure story has useful text
>> This might be helped by #5, but probably needs enforcing anyway. Again,
>> see the example news story [1] where the summary is fine, but the story
>> is empty.
>>

> I don't quite understand how you are going to enforce this, but it sounds
> good :-)

Just don't approve the story. I'm not sure it's worth having an option
to allow submitters to re-edit the item though. They can always email
corrections if needs be.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd