pgfoundry and gborg

Date:
OK, it is been a few months since our last pgfoundry/gborg discussion,
and I have seen no progress in moving to only one site.  I now propose
we shut off gborg on June 1, and announce that fact!

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us

Re: pgfoundry and gborg

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
-----Original Message-----
From: "Bruce Momjian"<pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>
Sent: 12/04/06 18:45:23
To: "PostgreSQL www"<pgsql-www@postgresql.org>
Subject: [pgsql-www] pgfoundry and gborg

>  I now propose
> we shut off gborg on June 1, and
> announce that fact!

As far as I'm aware we haven't even told project owners that we want them to move, let alone offered them a migration
path(I certainly never received anything as owner of multiple projects. Simply turning it off seems a good way to
reallycheese ppl off :-(

Regards, Dave

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
OK, it is been a few months since our last pgfoundry/gborg discussion,
and I have seen no progress in moving to only one site.  I now propose
we shut off gborg on June 1, and announce that fact!

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: pgfoundry and gborg

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> OK, it is been a few months since our last pgfoundry/gborg discussion,
> and I have seen no progress in moving to only one site.  I now propose
> we shut off gborg on June 1, and announce that fact!

I've been busy.  But I think that deadline is doable.

--Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant

Re: pgfoundry and gborg

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Bruce,
>
>> OK, it is been a few months since our last pgfoundry/gborg discussion,
>> and I have seen no progress in moving to only one site.  I now propose
>> we shut off gborg on June 1, and announce that fact!
>
> I've been busy.  But I think that deadline is doable.

I won't claim busy on this one ... I'll claim fear of migrating the
database stuff :(

We had a migration script built at one point ... does/can it work "per
project"?  If so, I have no problems with working with project admins on a
one-on-one basis to getting their projects migrated over ... I know Thomas
Hallgren(sp?) will *happily* act as a guinea pig to test the script ...

----

Re: pgfoundry and gborg

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Mark,

> I won't claim busy on this one ... I'll claim fear of migrating the
> database stuff :(

yeah, everybody has that.

> We had a migration script built at one point ... does/can it work "per
> project"?  If so, I have no problems with working with project admins on
> a one-on-one basis to getting their projects migrated over ... I know
> Thomas Hallgren(sp?) will *happily* act as a guinea pig to test the
> script ...

The script was never fully debugged.  I'll have to do that.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: pgfoundry and gborg

Dave Page wrote:
> As far as I'm aware we haven't even told project owners that we want
> them to move, let alone offered them a migration path (I certainly
> never received anything as owner of multiple projects. Simply turning
> it off seems a good way to really cheese ppl off :-(

At this point, I am happy to do _exactly_ that!  It is what will make it
get completed.

--

Date:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Mark,
>
>> I won't claim busy on this one ... I'll claim fear of migrating the
>> database stuff :(
>
> yeah, everybody has that.
>

>> We had a migration script built at one point ... does/can it work "per
>> project"?  If so, I have no problems with working with project admins on
>> a one-on-one basis to getting their projects migrated over ... I know
>> Thomas Hallgren(sp?) will *happily* act as a guinea pig to test the
>> script ...
>
> The script was never fully debugged.  I'll have to do that.

As I said above, if you can spend the time to give me a clean "per
project" script, I have to problems with doing the "per project" migration

----

Re: pgfoundry and gborg

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Marc,

> As I said above, if you can spend the time to give me a clean "per
> project" script, I have to problems with doing the "per project"
> migration ...

Sounds like a plan.

Question, again: am I correct that it will be easier to migrate mailman and
CVS *before* moving to the new server, rather than after?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: pgfoundry and gborg

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Marc,
>
>> As I said above, if you can spend the time to give me a clean "per
>> project" script, I have to problems with doing the "per project"
>> migration ...
>
> Sounds like a plan.
>
> Question, again: am I correct that it will be easier to migrate mailman and
> CVS *before* moving to the new server, rather than after?

I'd say about the same ... rsync can be used in either case ... but, both
being on the local network will eliminate any network delay ... its your
call though ...

----

Re: pgfoundry and gborg

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Marc,
>>
>>> As I said above, if you can spend the time to give me a clean "per
>>> project" script, I have to problems with doing the "per project"
>>> migration ...
>>
>> Sounds like a plan.
>>
>> Question, again: am I correct that it will be easier to migrate mailman and
>> CVS *before* moving to the new server, rather than after?
>
> I'd say about the same ... rsync can be used in either case ... but, both
> being on the local network will eliminate any network delay ... its your call
> though ...

Appendum: but, we don't know how easy getting pgfoundry moved to the new
server is going to be yet ... we've done the file/ports stuff, but, as far
as I know, we haven't done any testing of the result (ie. run it live and
check for any issues) ... if you want to move it to the new server first,
let's concentrate on that and then worry about gborg->pgfoundry ...

----

Re: pgfoundry and gborg

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Marc,

> Appendum: but, we don't know how easy getting pgfoundry moved to the new
> server is going to be yet ... we've done the file/ports stuff, but, as
> far as I know, we haven't done any testing of the result (ie. run it
> live and check for any issues) ... if you want to move it to the new
> server first, let's concentrate on that and then worry about
> gborg->pgfoundry ...

No, the new server isn't ready yet so we can do things in any order --
there's issues with Apache and with one drive which I and Sean are working
on.  The idea, though, is to have everything on pgfoundry on the new
faster server by June 1.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: pgfoundry and gborg

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Marc,
>
>> Appendum: but, we don't know how easy getting pgfoundry moved to the new
>> server is going to be yet ... we've done the file/ports stuff, but, as
>> far as I know, we haven't done any testing of the result (ie. run it
>> live and check for any issues) ... if you want to move it to the new
>> server first, let's concentrate on that and then worry about
>> gborg->pgfoundry ...
>
> No, the new server isn't ready yet so we can do things in any order --
> there's issues with Apache and with one drive which I and Sean are working
> on.  The idea, though, is to have everything on pgfoundry on the new
> faster server by June 1.

Well, if you *want*, we could do the conversion to FreeBSD 6.x / amd64
right away, so that while you and Sean are working out the issues with the
new server, we can get that part completed ... would just be a matter of
upgrading software, without having to move databases at the same time ...
then it would truly just be an 'rsync' to get it moved to the new server

----

Re: pgfoundry and gborg

From
"Dave Page"

OK, I'll send any disgruntled project owners your way :-)

Seriously though, if nothing else we should give them notice ASAP that
this is going to be done.

Oh, and moving the pgweb project will require some non-trivial work to
ensure it doesn't break www.postgresql.org.

Regards, Dave.