pgsql-committers shouldn't be the default "developers" list

Date:
Recently I've noticed an increasing number of clueless-newbie posts on
pgsql-committers, eg
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2006-01/msg00132.php
You can debate which list such posts might be appropriate for, but
there is utterly no doubt that -committers ain't it.

It just occurred to me what the probable explanation for this is:
since the archives.postgresql.org left-side menu got rearranged,
pgsql-committers is the list that comes up when you hit "Developers
lists".  And unlike, say, the front page for pgsql-hackers, there
is no verbiage whatsoever in the list description that might suggest
to newbies that this is not the place for their question.

At minimum the list description needs to be filled in, in a way that
will discourage people from posting questions there.  Perhaps

    This list carries CVS commit log messages, and occasionally
    followup discussions arising from them.

    If you have a question that is not directly related to a
    recent commit, it doesn't belong here.

But I'd like to suggest also that slavish adherence to alphabetical
order in the list menus might not be the best thing.  Certainly I'd find
that it usually saves me a click if clicking on "Developers lists"
brought up -hackers as the default selection.  Similarly, in the "User
lists" pgsql-admin doesn't seem like the greatest default (hmm, it seems
like that list's signal-to-noise ratio has dropped lately too...).
Could we point that one at -general perhaps?

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql-committers shouldn't be the default "developers" list

From
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane wrote:
> But I'd like to suggest also that slavish adherence to alphabetical
> order in the list menus might not be the best thing.

Perhaps selecting a list category should not jump straight to a
particular list (what would you expect when selecting Regional lists?)
but show an intermediate information page that lists the lists again.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: pgsql-committers shouldn't be the default "developers"

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
Hi,

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> At minimum the list description needs to be filled in, in a way that
> will discourage people from posting questions there.  Perhaps
>
>     This list carries CVS commit log messages, and occasionally
>     followup discussions arising from them.

(I was about to write an e-mail about this subject)

* We could set a reply-to header for -committers list. I think the best
could be -hackers lists. The followups should continue there.

* Only the committer people should be able to post to this list (I don't
mean regular posts. I mean the automated posts via the commit process).
Other posts should be "rejected" automatically, instead of being held for
moderator approval.

Re: pgsql-committers shouldn't be the default "developers" list

From
"Dave Page"

Done - will appear next time the indexes regenerate.

> But I'd like to suggest also that slavish adherence to alphabetical
> order in the list menus might not be the best thing.
> Certainly I'd find
> that it usually saves me a click if clicking on "Developers lists"
> brought up -hackers as the default selection.  Similarly, in the "User
> lists" pgsql-admin doesn't seem like the greatest default
> (hmm, it seems
> like that list's signal-to-noise ratio has dropped lately too...).
> Could we point that one at -general perhaps?

I've changed the default list for Users to -general, Developers to
-hackers and Projects to pgadmin-support. In the longterm I think
Peter's suggestion of having an intro page for each section is probably
best, but that will require code changes that I don't have time for
right now.

Regards, Dave.

Re: pgsql-committers shouldn't be the default "developers" list

Date:
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> Done - will appear next time the indexes regenerate.

Looks great, thanks.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql-committers shouldn't be the default "developers"

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
As someone else suggested, do we want to set Reply-To on that list as
well, to redirect discussions to -hackers?

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
>> Done - will appear next time the indexes regenerate.
>
> Looks great, thanks.
>
>             regards, tom lane

>       match

----

Re: pgsql-committers shouldn't be the default "developers" list

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> As someone else suggested, do we want to set Reply-To on that list as
> well, to redirect discussions to -hackers?

I don't think we should try to force that to happen.  A fair part of the
followup threads in -committers aren't really very interesting and need
not go to -hackers.  Another problem with adding Reply-To is that by
default a copy will *not* go personally to the particular committer,
which is something that you usually do want to happen when commenting
on a commit.

(BTW, have we yet got things fixed so that all the addresses that appear
as "From:" for committers actually work to forward mail to the
respective person?  Last I checked it seemed not to work for me or
Bruce, but that was awhile ago.)

Date:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> (BTW, have we yet got things fixed so that all the addresses that appear
> as "From:" for committers actually work to forward mail to the
> respective person?  Last I checked it seemed not to work for me or
> Bruce, but that was awhile ago.)

You've lost me on this one ... from how I'm reading it above, that sounds
like a mail reader issue, but I could definitely be mis-reading ...

----

Re: pgsql-committers shouldn't be the default "developers" list

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Tom Lane wrote:
>> (BTW, have we yet got things fixed so that all the addresses that appear
>> as "From:" for committers actually work to forward mail to the
>> respective person?  Last I checked it seemed not to work for me or
>> Bruce, but that was awhile ago.)

> You've lost me on this one ... from how I'm reading it above, that sounds
> like a mail reader issue, but I could definitely be mis-reading ...

What I meant is that, for example, Bruce's commits show up as
    From: momjian@postgresql.org (Bruce Momjian)
which is not his real email address.  Some of these addresses actually
work, ie, forward to that committer, but I don't think they all do.
[ tries it... ]  A test mail to tgl@postgresql.org, which is the way
my commits show up, hasn't come back after several minutes...

Date:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> (BTW, have we yet got things fixed so that all the addresses that appear
>>> as "From:" for committers actually work to forward mail to the
>>> respective person?  Last I checked it seemed not to work for me or
>>> Bruce, but that was awhile ago.)
>
>> You've lost me on this one ... from how I'm reading it above, that sounds
>> like a mail reader issue, but I could definitely be mis-reading ...
>
> What I meant is that, for example, Bruce's commits show up as
>     From: momjian@postgresql.org (Bruce Momjian)
> which is not his real email address.  Some of these addresses actually
> work, ie, forward to that committer, but I don't think they all do.
> [ tries it... ]  A test mail to tgl@postgresql.org, which is the way
> my commits show up, hasn't come back after several minutes...

Nope, it got added to your 1500+ other message sitting in your
@postgresql.org mailbox :)  Your oldest being Jun 4th, 2003 :)

You might want to go in and create a forward on that account ..
http://webmail.postgresql.org, login tgl, pass should be teh same as your
shell passwd, but if it doesn't work, I can reset that ... go under
Mail->Filters and set a Forward onto the account to wherever you wish ...

----

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> > As someone else suggested, do we want to set Reply-To on that list as
> > well, to redirect discussions to -hackers?
>
> I don't think we should try to force that to happen.  A fair part of the
> followup threads in -committers aren't really very interesting and need
> not go to -hackers.  Another problem with adding Reply-To is that by
> default a copy will *not* go personally to the particular committer,
> which is something that you usually do want to happen when commenting
> on a commit.
>
> (BTW, have we yet got things fixed so that all the addresses that appear
> as "From:" for committers actually work to forward mail to the
> respective person?  Last I checked it seemed not to work for me or
> Bruce, but that was awhile ago.)

It does work for me now, and probably for you too.  :-)

All email to @postgresql.org addresses go into this email system:

    http://webmail.postgresql.org/imp/login.php

I used to have a .forward file in my shell home directory so all email
went to my pgman@candle.pha.pa.us address, but when I started getting a
lot of spam from momjian@postgresql.org, I removed the .forward file, so
I was unsure where my email was going.  When Josh Berkus wanted to use
the momjian@postgreql.org address for press contacts, I had to get it
working again.  I logged into that web account and had +99% spams.
Since Marc has added procmail spam tags, I have now re-added my .forward
file, and use the procmail tags Marc adds to help my system learn about
spam before discarding the email.

Re: pgsql-committers shouldn't be the default "developers" list

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> Nope, it got added to your 1500+ other message sitting in your
> @postgresql.org mailbox :)  Your oldest being Jun 4th, 2003 :)

Cleaned out ... egad, what a lot of spam :-(

Date:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> Nope, it got added to your 1500+ other message sitting in your
>> @postgresql.org mailbox :)  Your oldest being Jun 4th, 2003 :)
>
> Cleaned out ... egad, what a lot of spam :-(

Almost 3 years worth ... not bad, actually ... 500 per year, less then 2
per day ... :)

----

Re: pgsql-committers shouldn't be the default "developers" list

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Cleaned out ... egad, what a lot of spam :-(

> Almost 3 years worth ... not bad, actually ... 500 per year, less then 2
> per day ... :)

Yeah ... the truly depressing thought is what an un-filtered mailbox
must look like these days :-(

I'm about ready to engage in vigilante action against spammers, myself.

Date:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Cleaned out ... egad, what a lot of spam :-(
>
>> Almost 3 years worth ... not bad, actually ... 500 per year, less then 2
>> per day ... :)
>
> Yeah ... the truly depressing thought is what an un-filtered mailbox
> must look like these days :-(
>
> I'm about ready to engage in vigilante action against spammers, myself.

Do tell?

---- Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: scrappy@hub.org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ: 7615664

Re: pgsql-committers shouldn't be the default "developers" list

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 11:50:03PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> > On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Cleaned out ... egad, what a lot of spam :-(
>
> > Almost 3 years worth ... not bad, actually ... 500 per year, less then 2
> > per day ... :)
>
> Yeah ... the truly depressing thought is what an un-filtered mailbox
> must look like these days :-(

For Nov. '05, 6645 emails scored at 5 or higher in SpamAssassin, out of
20944 total. That compares with about 2800 emails to -hackers and
-general.

For Dec. '05, 6723 spams out of 20186 (~2500 -hackers and -general).

That's relying soley on SpamAssassin to flag spams, btw. Luckily on only
gat about 10 spams a day leaking through, although I do send anything
scoring >= 3 and < 5 to a 'probabably spam' folder, which helps quite a
bit (I don't really consider those as 'leaking through').

> I'm about ready to engage in vigilante action against spammers, myself.

Need any help moving bodies? ;)