Remove email search

Date:
After years of failure to support a reliable, fast search capability for
our email list, I suggest we give up and move to just pointing to Google
Groups.  Our search screens have been mostly an embarrassment for us,
and it is time to give up and move on:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.databases.postgresql

I know someone will say, "Oh, we are ordering new equipment", but at
this point, I have heard so many "almost fixed" emails that I have lost
faith in the entire process.

I also think we need to start purchasing our own servers with company
donations and move to a more independent infrastructure.

Re: Remove email search

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> After years of failure to support a reliable, fast search capability for
> our email list, I suggest we give up and move to just pointing to Google
> Groups.  Our search screens have been mostly an embarrassment for us,
> and it is time to give up and move on:
>
>     http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.databases.postgresql

Hmmm... do they cover enough of the mailing lists to be effective, and
do they retain the emails for a really long time?

:-)

<snip>
> I also think we need to start purchasing our own servers with company
> donations and move to a more independent infrastructure.

Well, lets draw up some equipment targets, figure out pricing, and
figure out how much we have in the kitty.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Re: Remove email search

From
"Dave Page"

Hi Bruce,

It's been fixed and on new hardware (not hub.org's) for about a month
now:

A search of all mailing lists for 'referential integrity' (without the
quotes) just showed me a page of results in about 2 seconds:

Documents 1-10 of total 1851 found.   Searching in 377703 documents took
0.145 seconds.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Remove email search

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

I just did a search for "schema permissions" and stopped waiting because
the screen contents took too long to display.

Re: Remove email search

Date:
Justin Clift wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > After years of failure to support a reliable, fast search capability for
> > our email list, I suggest we give up and move to just pointing to Google
> > Groups.  Our search screens have been mostly an embarrassment for us,
> > and it is time to give up and move on:
> >
> >     http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.databases.postgresql
>
> Hmmm... do they cover enough of the mailing lists to be effective, and
> do they retain the emails for a really long time?
>
> :-)
>

> <snip>
> > I also think we need to start purchasing our own servers with company
> > donations and move to a more independent infrastructure.
>
> Well, lets draw up some equipment targets, figure out pricing, and
> figure out how much we have in the kitty.

Actually, right now we have nothing in the kitty.  This is more of a
long-term goal, I think.

Re: Remove email search

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Re: Remove email search

From
"Dave Page"

Page displayed in under 2 seconds this time (ads n' all):

Documents 1-10 of total 618 found.   Searching in 377703 documents took
0.055 seconds.

What url are you searching from?

Regards, Dave

Re: Remove email search

Date:
Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
[ PGP not available, raw data follows ]

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > A search of all mailing lists for 'referential integrity' (without the
> > > quotes) just showed me a page of results in about 2 seconds:
> > >
> > > Documents 1-10 of total 1851 found.   Searching in 377703 documents took
> > > 0.145 seconds.
> >
> > I just did a search for "schema permissions" and stopped waiting because
> > the screen contents took too long to display.
>
> I did your search and :
>
> "Documents 1-10 of total 618 found.   Searching in 377703 documents took
> 0.047 seconds."
>
> Really acceptable, I think...

I just tried it now and it was fast too.  Strange.  Maybe it is
something on my end, or I just hit it at a bad time.

Sorry.

I still prefer the Google page layout because I can see an entire thread
on one screen.

I also do think that at some point we have to stop relying on hub.org to
pay our server/bandwidth bills and we have to pay our own way with
donations by companies.

Re: Remove email search

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I also do think that at some point we have to stop relying on hub.org to
> pay our server/bandwidth bills and we have to pay our own way with
> donations by companies.

I think that there are enough shows and conventions that we need a
stronger precense at that donations by companies would be better directed
there ...

Funny thing is, there are only a few of the *core* things that still even
run on hub servers ... search is in australia, ftp/bittorrent and anoncvs
are on a server in the US, and www is *soooo* mirrored that we could point
www to any of a dozen servers in the US ... we've been parcelling things
around over the past 6 months or so, to reduce 'points of failure' and
improve performance ... *shrug*

----

Re: Remove email search

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I also do think that at some point we have to stop relying on hub.org to
> > pay our server/bandwidth bills and we have to pay our own way with
> > donations by companies.
>
> I think that there are enough shows and conventions that we need a
> stronger precense at that donations by companies would be better directed
> there ...
>
> Funny thing is, there are only a few of the *core* things that still even
> run on hub servers ... search is in australia, ftp/bittorrent and anoncvs
> are on a server in the US, and www is *soooo* mirrored that we could point
> www to any of a dozen servers in the US ... we've been parcelling things
> around over the past 6 months or so, to reduce 'points of failure' and
> improve performance ... *shrug*

Oh, I didn't realize we had distributed stuff out already.  Great!

Re: Remove email search

From
"Dave Page"

No problem :-)

> I still prefer the Google page layout because I can see an
> entire thread on one screen.

Well, they have the whole groups.google/dejanews code doing all of that.
Unfortunately we have somewhat more limited resources as you know. Also,
bear in mind that our search engine covers a whole bunch of extra sites
including the Gborg list archives which you won't find on google groups.

> I also do think that at some point we have to stop relying on
> hub.org to pay our server/bandwidth bills and we have to pay
> our own way with donations by companies.

I'm inclined to agree. Whilst I can't fault Marc's generosity on that
front, it would be nice to be less dependant (and less of a liability to
his business :-) ). On the other hand, as Marc just pointed out, perhaps
the cash is best spent on advocacy and promotion.

Regards, Dave

Re: Remove email search

From
Oleg Bartunov
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Dave Page wrote:

What about
http://www.pgsql.ru/db/pgsearch/index.html?q=schema+permissions&tmpl=%F0%D2%C9%D7%C5%D4&ps=20&set=&group=2&site=
?
Fresh (last month) posting could be seaerched using

http://www.pgsql.ru/db/mw/index.html?section=-1&word=schema+permissions&action=Search&sdb_d=13&sdb_m=6&sdb_y=2004&sde_d=13&sde_m=7&sde_y=2004&weight=0&format=0&order=1

    Regards,
        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Remove email search

From
"John Hansen"
Date:
Bruce,

Just did the same search, and
http://search.postgresql.org/archives.search?q=schema+permissions&cs=utf
-8&st=9&ul=&dt=back&dp=0&o=0&ps=10 took less than a second including

John

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Dave Page wrote:

Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet, Sternberg
Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Remove email search

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Remove email search

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

> Well, they have the whole groups.google/dejanews code doing all of that.
> Unfortunately we have somewhat more limited resources as you know. Also,
> bear in mind that our search engine covers a whole bunch of extra sites
> including the Gborg list archives which you won't find on google groups.

Hmmm.  How often is www.pgsql.ru being updated?  It's the "best" search
engine, it was just getting somewhat out of date.

> I'm inclined to agree. Whilst I can't fault Marc's generosity on that
> front, it would be nice to be less dependant (and less of a liability to
> his business :-) ). On the other hand, as Marc just pointed out, perhaps
> the cash is best spent on advocacy and promotion.

Actually, it would be *much* easier to fundraise for servers than for
convention stuff.   It's one of those nice, concrete things to raise money
for.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Remove email search

From
"Dave Page"

The really annoying thing is, I've got bags of spare CPU here
(literally), just haven't got appropriate bandwidth to make it available
(and would have trouble getting it for various political reasons :-( ).

Regards Dave.

Re: Remove email search

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> > Well, they have the whole groups.google/dejanews code doing all of that.
> > Unfortunately we have somewhat more limited resources as you know. Also,
> > bear in mind that our search engine covers a whole bunch of extra sites
> > including the Gborg list archives which you won't find on google groups.
>
> Hmmm.  How often is www.pgsql.ru being updated?  It's the "best" search
> engine, it was just getting somewhat out of date.

We try to keep a week delay for www.pgsql.ru/db/pgsearch, but
fresh postings are *immediately* available from mailing list archive
www.pgsql.ru/db/mw/.