Comments on subquery performance

From
"T- Bone"
Date:
(second attempt in two days to post this message...I appologise if for some
reason a duplicate appears)

Hello all,

I created a query that contains two subqueries and joins and would like some
feedback on whether: 1) this approach is logical; and, 2) if this is an optimal approach (performance wise) to return
therecords

I seek.

Essentially, I am attempting to perform a 'lookup' on a value in another
table 3 times, for three different columns.  I have three columns with
category codes in tblListings and would like to 'lookup' the actual category
text in tblCategory.  I have created a functional query that contains two
subqueries and joins, but am concerned this may not be the fastest (or
logical?) way to achieve what I seek.

I thought of another approach to create a function to evaluate the records
on a row-by-row and column-by-column approach, but thought that may prove
even slower.  I would appreciate any comments on my logic or learning of any
alternative means that would result in better performance.

I have included the SQL for reference.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jim

----------------------------------------8<-------------------------------------------------

SELECT "CatID1", "CatID2", "CatID3", c1 AS "CatName1", c2 AS "CatName2",
t6."CatName" AS "CatName3"FROM(SELECT "CatID1", "CatID2", "CatID3", c1, t4."CatName" AS c2    FROM  (SELECT
t1."CatID1",t1."CatID2", t1."CatID3", t2."CatName" AS c1        FROM "MySchema"."tblListings" t1        INNER JOIN
"MySchema"."tblCategories"t2        ON (t1."CatID1" = t2."CatID")) t3      LEFT OUTER JOIN "MySchema"."tblCategories"
t4     ON (t3."CatID2" = t4."CatID")) t5  LEFT OUTER JOIN "MySchema"."tblCategories" t6  ON (t5."CatID3" =
t6."CatID");

----------------------------------------8<-------------------------------------------------

Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft�
SmartScreen Technology.

first two months FREE*.

Re: Comments on subquery performance

From
Richard Huxton
T- Bone wrote:
> (second attempt in two days to post this message...I appologise if for
> some reason a duplicate appears)
>
> Hello all,
>
> I created a query that contains two subqueries and joins and would like
> some feedback on whether:
>  1) this approach is logical; and,
>  2) if this is an optimal approach (performance wise) to return the
> records I seek.

Well you could just do:

SELECT  l.*, c1.catname, c2.catname, c3.catname
FROM  tbl_listing l,  tbl_categories c1,  tbl_categories c2,  tbl_categories c3
WHERE  l.catid1 = c1.catid  AND l.catid2 = c2.catid  AND l.catid3 = c3.catid

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Re: Comments on subquery performance

From
"T- Bone"
Date:
Hi Richard and group,

Thanks for the alternative approach.  The code is certainly cleaner and
easier to follow, but I do have a couple outer joins for fields #2 and #3
that could contain null values that are not captured in your example.

Also, I ran an 'explain query' and the performance differences were
negligable.  Any further thoughts or should I just stick with what I have
and move on?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Jim

>From: Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>
>To: T- Bone <jbowen333@hotmail.com>
>CC: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
>Subject: Re: [SQL] Comments on subquery performance
>Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:15:14 +0000
>
>T- Bone wrote:
>>(second attempt in two days to post this message...I appologise if for
>>some reason a duplicate appears)
>>
>>Hello all,
>>
>>I created a query that contains two subqueries and joins and would like
>>some feedback on whether:
>>  1) this approach is logical; and,
>>  2) if this is an optimal approach (performance wise) to return the
>>records I seek.
>
>Well you could just do:
>
>SELECT
>   l.*, c1.catname, c2.catname, c3.catname
>FROM
>   tbl_listing l,
>   tbl_categories c1,
>   tbl_categories c2,
>   tbl_categories c3
>WHERE
>   l.catid1 = c1.catid
>   AND l.catid2 = c2.catid
>   AND l.catid3 = c3.catid
>
>--
>   Richard Huxton
>   Archonet Ltd

Scan and help eliminate destructive viruses from your inbound and outbound
e-mail and attachments.

first two months FREE*.

Re: Comments on subquery performance

From
"Joel Fradkin"
Date:
Yea we examined it here as a group as we are facing the same kind of stuff
and found exactly the same thing.
It does what MSSQL called a Cartesian join, and ran no faster other then
removing the outer join logic.

Using a regular join statement and only inner joins was the same speed and I
think little less confusing when you have several joins as our system does.

We may have to look at re-engineering our system as the original design has
dozens of table whith a field set like ID, Value to hold stuff like
apprehension type, jobtitle etc. So we hold a main record with dozens of
id's (and joins when reporting).

Joel Fradkin

Re: Comments on subquery performance

From
Edmund Bacon
Date:
Typically, this is handled as (omitting '"'s and schema names for clarity)

SELECT CatID1, CatID2, CatID3, t1.CatName as CatName1,       t2.CatName as CatName2, t3.CatName as CatName3
FROM  tblListings
JOIN  tblCategories t1 on CatId1 = CatID
JOIN  tblCategories t2 on CatId2 = CatID
JOIN  tblCategories t3 on CatId3 = CatID;

Wether you need to LEFT JOIN  tblCategories or not depends on how you
want to do if  CatID1, CatID2, or CatID3 is NULL.