CommitFest 2009-11: One week update

From
Greg Smith
Date:
There were 32 patches actively involved in the standard review process
for this CommitFest, ignoring the ones with an assigned committer who is
also reviewing and ones that were done earlier.  Here's where we're at
with those:

Commited:  5
Returned with feedback:  2
Waiting for author:  12
Needs review:  13

That puts us a little over half done on the review side, with maybe 1/5
of the things that might get committed completely finished.

We have no reviewer assigned to following patches yet:

SE-PostgreSQL/Lite
DTrace Memory management probes
DTrace SLRU and executor probes
Listen / Notify rewrite

That last one seems to have settled down enough to be worth taking a
dive into now, if anyone done with their initial assignments wants a
small patch to consider for their second round.

As far as I know we're waiting for the following reviews still:

Largeobject access controls (Abhijit Menon-Sen)
LDAP search during authentication (Magnus Hagander)
XLogInsert: move some work out of critical section (Stephen Frost)
EXPLAIN BUFFERS (Euler Taveira de Oliveira)
information_schema performance (Peter Eisentraut)
New VACUUM FULL (Jeff Davis)
per-tablespace random_page_cost/seq_page_cost (Bernd Helmle)
pgbench setshell command (Greg Smith)
PL/Python array support (Josh Tolley)
Application Name (Andres Freund)

I'm not sure whether next week's holiday is going to help or hurt the
review schedule.  I plan a rare round of being AFK during that time.  I
hope to do another round of prodding everyone before the break, and I'll
re-summarize where we're then at around a week from now.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: CommitFest 2009-11: One week update

From
Robert Haas
Date:
I think my patch has been adequately reviewed and that I am not likely
to have time to revise it in time for this CommitFest.

...Robert

On Nov 22, 2009, at 1:53 AM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> There were 32 patches actively involved in the standard review
> process for this CommitFest, ignoring the ones with an assigned
> committer who is also reviewing and ones that were done earlier.
> Here's where we're at with those:
>
> Commited:  5
> Returned with feedback:  2
> Waiting for author:  12
> Needs review:  13
>
> That puts us a little over half done on the review side, with maybe
> 1/5 of the things that might get committed completely finished.
>
> We have no reviewer assigned to following patches yet:
>
> SE-PostgreSQL/Lite
> DTrace Memory management probes
> DTrace SLRU and executor probes
> Listen / Notify rewrite
>
> That last one seems to have settled down enough to be worth taking a
> dive into now, if anyone done with their initial assignments wants a
> small patch to consider for their second round.
>
> As far as I know we're waiting for the following reviews still:
>
> Largeobject access controls (Abhijit Menon-Sen)
> LDAP search during authentication (Magnus Hagander)
> XLogInsert: move some work out of critical section (Stephen Frost)
> EXPLAIN BUFFERS (Euler Taveira de Oliveira)
> information_schema performance (Peter Eisentraut)
> New VACUUM FULL (Jeff Davis)
> per-tablespace random_page_cost/seq_page_cost (Bernd Helmle)
> pgbench setshell command (Greg Smith)
> PL/Python array support (Josh Tolley)
> Application Name (Andres Freund)
>
> I'm not sure whether next week's holiday is going to help or hurt
> the review schedule.  I plan a rare round of being AFK during that
> time.  I hope to do another round of prodding everyone before the
> break, and I'll re-summarize where we're then at around a week from
> now.
>
> --
> Greg Smith    2ndQuadrant   Baltimore, MD
> PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support
> greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: CommitFest 2009-11: One week update

From
Joshua Tolley
Date:
On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 01:53:33AM -0500, Greg Smith wrote:
> PL/Python array support (Josh Tolley)

For whatever it's worth, I've not forgotten my assignment, and plan to get an
initial review done this week.

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
End Point Corporation

Attachment

Re: CommitFest 2009-11: One week update

From
Bernd Helmle

--On 22. November 2009 15:45:23 -0500 Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think my patch has been adequately reviewed and that I am not likely to
> have time to revise it in time for this CommitFest.

Yeah, i've just emailed Robert wether he's going to work on this during
this CommitFest but i was very busy at work and forgot to update the
status. Thanks for cleaning this up.

CommitFest 2009-11: Two weeks (and a little) update

From
Greg Smith
Date:
Now that we've cleared the holiday and gotten a few more reviews in,
wanted to summarize where we're at again and remind everyone we're
waiting on of that fact.  The pace of reviews is holding up the rest of
the CommitFest progress now, and there's not that much work left to do
be done.  One more good push and this could be over from the reviewer side.

We still have no reviewer assigned to following patches yet:

SE-PostgreSQL/Lite
DTrace Memory management probes
DTrace SLRU and executor probes

SE-PostgreSQL/Lite is at least getting some discussion on the lists
now.  If any of the people who were suggesting they couldn't help out
until around now can handle DTrace patches, looking at one or both of
those would be helpful.

The following patches have a reviewer who's not a committer, but we
haven't heard anything from them yet:

Largeobject access controls (Abhijit Menon-Sen)
XLogInsert: move some work out of critical section (Stephen Frost)
EXPLAIN BUFFERS (Euler Taveira de Oliveira)

Since the last of those two are being reviewed by committers I'm not
worried about them.  As for Abhijit, Stephen, and Euler:  can I get a
confirmation whether you're working on the review?  I think we can get
other people to look at these if you just can't find the time.

Another problem right now are patches where a review was done, the patch
updated, and now a re-review is needed.  I've been trying to not give
anyone a hard time over these, as in many cases the initial review was
done quite quickly, but they're starting to pile up now:

tsearch parser inefficiency with urls or emails.   Kevin Grittner
ProcessUtility_hook   Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Operator Exclusion Constraints   Robert Haas
Syntax for partitioning   Marko Tiikkaja
Aggregate ORDER BY support   Hitoshi Harada
add more frame types in window functions (ROWS)   Andrew Gierth

Again, if anyone on this list had time before but doesn't now, please
just let me know.  Getting a second person for the re-review is a good
thing for that patch if we can marshal the resources, and if it's still
going to be a while before you can revisit the patch yourself that may
be what we need to do.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: CommitFest 2009-11: Two weeks (and a little) update

From
Andrew Gierth
Date:

 Greg> Another problem right now are patches where a review was done, the
 Greg> patch updated, and now a re-review is needed.  I've been trying to not
 Greg> give anyone a hard time over these, as in many cases the initial
 Greg> review was done quite quickly, but they're starting to pile up now:

 Greg> add more frame types in window functions (ROWS)   Andrew Gierth

I was hoping that there would have been some feedback on the issue
that Hitoshi raised on -hackers some days ago, since it seems to be
the only outstanding issue with this patch now. Since this is a
question about stability of an API which is potentially in use by
third-party modules (I don't think we have any easy way to know if
it's _actually_ in use), I'm not happy with making an accept/reject
decision based on it without feedback from others.

I have now posted to -hackers in an attempt to prompt some response.

--
Andrew.

Date:
Greg Smith wrote:
> The following patches have a reviewer who's not a committer, but we
> haven't heard anything from them yet:
>
> Largeobject access controls (Abhijit Menon-Sen)
It looks like Abhijit is having some trouble right now, just pulled him
off this assigment.  Anyone else interested in reviewing this one?  It's
now on the list of patches completely missing a reviewer.

--On 2. Dezember 2009 05:02:18 -0500 Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>
wrote:

> t looks like Abhijit is having some trouble right now, just pulled him
> off this assigment.  Anyone else interested in reviewing this one?  It's
> now on the list of patches completely missing a reviewer.

I can have a first look on this, if that helps. There wasn't plenty of work
for me in this round...

        Bernd

Re: CommitFest 2009-11: Two weeks (and a little) update

From
Jaime Casanova
Date:
On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> If any of the people who were suggesting they couldn't help out until around
> now can handle DTrace patches, looking at one or both of those would be
> helpful.

i have no access to dtrace at all... but now i can take a patch, maybe
another one of those that you mention?

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova

Re: CommitFest 2009-11: Two weeks (and a little) update

From
Bernd Helmle

--On 2. Dezember 2009 15:26:19 -0500 Jaime Casanova
<jcasanov@systemguards.com.ec> wrote:

> i have no access to dtrace at all... but now i can take a patch, maybe
> another one of those that you mention?

Hmm i'm running OS X...i already proposed Greg to take my hands on the
Largeobject Access Control Patch, but now it seems better to look at those
DTrace things. I originally hesitated to review those since i'm not very
familiar with DTrace, but if it helps (and i can improve my skills here),
i'm fine with it and you can review the Largeobject patches?

        Bernd

Date:
On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Bernd Helmle <bernd@oopsware.de> wrote:

> --On 2. Dezember 2009 15:26:19 -0500 Jaime Casanova
> <jcasanov@systemguards.com.ec> wrote:
>
>> i have no access to dtrace at all... but now i can take a patch, maybe
>> another one of those that you mention?
>

> Hmm i'm running OS X...i already proposed Greg to take my hands on the
> Largeobject Access Control Patch, but now it seems better to look at those
> DTrace things. I originally hesitated to review those since i'm not very
> familiar with DTrace, but if it helps (and i can improve my skills here),
> i'm fine with it and you can review the Largeobject patches?

that's fine with me...

--

Date:
Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Bernd Helmle <bernd@oopsware.de> wrote:
>
>> Hmm i'm running OS X...i already proposed Greg to take my hands on the
>> Largeobject Access Control Patch, but now it seems better to look at those
>> DTrace things. I originally hesitated to review those since i'm not very
>> familiar with DTrace, but if it helps (and i can improve my skills here),
>> i'm fine with it and you can review the Largeobject patches?
>>

> that's fine with me...

CommitFest page updated as such.  Bernd, I'd suggest starting with the
"SLRU and executor probes" patch, as that one is a lot less
controversial than the other.  Jaime, I just got a note from Abhijit
suggesting he is still working on the review of the Largeobject patch;
it's complicated enough that having two people look at it isn't a bad
idea though if you want to (or already have started) dig into anyway.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: CommitFest 2009-11: Two weeks (and a little) update

From
KaiGai Kohei
Date:
Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Bernd Helmle <bernd@oopsware.de> wrote:
>>
>> --On 2. Dezember 2009 15:26:19 -0500 Jaime Casanova
>> <jcasanov@systemguards.com.ec> wrote:
>>
>>> i have no access to dtrace at all... but now i can take a patch, maybe
>>> another one of those that you mention?
>>
>> Hmm i'm running OS X...i already proposed Greg to take my hands on the
>> Largeobject Access Control Patch, but now it seems better to look at those
>> DTrace things. I originally hesitated to review those since i'm not very
>> familiar with DTrace, but if it helps (and i can improve my skills here),
>> i'm fine with it and you can review the Largeobject patches?
>>

> that's fine with me...

Jaime, Thanks for your volunteering.

Since you reviewed this patch at the last commit fest, I think it is not
difficult to check the code. It was just a revised version according to
the comments from Tom Lane.

Greg referenced my previous post which introduced this feature.

  http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4A9757F6.3010401@ak.jp.nec.com
  http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4A9B5AD1.3090002@ak.jp.nec.com

Then, this patch is moved to "ready for commiter", but Tom Lane commented
some of his complaints, as follows:

  http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/15563.1254845821@sss.pgh.pa.us
  http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/3224.1255488185@sss.pgh.pa.us

The biggest issue was incompatibility of snapshot on references to
the pg_largeobject_metadata and pg_largeobject system catalogs.

In the previous revision, it always refered the new pg_largeobject_metadata
catalog with SnapshotNow, but inv_api.c may refer the pg_largeobject with
query's snapshot in read-only mode, not always SnapshotNow.
It meaned we could see unvisible changes in the metadata which contains
access privileges, if we apply incompatible snapshot between metadata and
contents.
So, I added pg_largeobject_aclcheck_snapshot() which takes an argument to
give a snapthot to be used to scan pg_largeobeject_metadata. It is invoked
from inv_api.c, and the caller delivers an appropriate snapshot (it may be
SnapshotNow, or not).
Anyway, the point is that we should apply an identical snapshot to scan
both of data(pg_largeobject) and metadata(pg_largeobject_metadata).

The _snapshot() interface seems to you a bit strange, but it has a reason. :-)

In addition, the following points are changed in new revision:
- Syscache support has gone, because it can consume unexpected amount of
  local memory when user tries to create massive number of large objects.
- ac_largeobject_*() has gone, because "Reworks for Access Control" patch
  was rejected in the lasst commit fest.
- pg_dump support was added.
- \lo_list support multiple server version, not only v8.5 or later.
- documentations and user visible error messages were fixed.
  (I surprised at "largeobject" is an incorrect English word. :-)

OSS Platform Development Division, NEC
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>