adding a new platform

From
Mark Wong
Date:
Hi everyone,

I have access to a z13 mainframe and would like to explore getting
packages built for the yum repository for Linux on z (as opposed to
z/OS.)  I've looked at the git repository, but was wondering what the
best way is to run through trying to build packages and what not.

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark Wong                                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, RemoteDBA, Training & Services

Re: adding a new platform

From
Craig Ringer

I have access to a z13 mainframe and would like to explore getting
packages built for the yum repository for Linux on z (as opposed to
z/OS.)  I've looked at the git repository, but was wondering what the
best way is to run through trying to build packages and what not.

I (or, rather, 2ndQuadrant) also have access to POWER7 machines at OSU OSL that can be used to build ppc64 packages for Linux on POWER, in case anyone expresses interest in this.

Re: adding a new platform

From
Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
Date:
On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 10:01:21 +0800
Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 21 April 2015 at 06:11, Mark Wong <mark@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I have access to a z13 mainframe and would like to explore getting
> > packages built for the yum repository for Linux on z (as opposed to
> > z/OS.)  I've looked at the git repository, but was wondering what the
> > best way is to run through trying to build packages and what not.
> >

> I (or, rather, 2ndQuadrant) also have access to POWER7 machines at OSU OSL
> that can be used to build ppc64 packages for Linux on POWER, in case anyone
> expresses interest in this.

I talked with Devrim during last pgconf.eu about the opportunity to have IBM
providing a POWER server and even some feedback about their gcc toolkit,
optimized for POWER7 and POWER8.

I had no answers to my mails since then, when trying to get people from IBM in
touch with Devrim :(

Devrim, maybe my emails landed in your spam ? Or did I miss something ?

Jehan-Guillaume "ioguix" de Rorthais
http://www.dalibo.com

Re: adding a new platform

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
On 21 April 2015 at 18:21, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr@dalibo.com> wrote:
On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 10:01:21 +0800
Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 21 April 2015 at 06:11, Mark Wong <mark@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I have access to a z13 mainframe and would like to explore getting
> > packages built for the yum repository for Linux on z (as opposed to
> > z/OS.)  I've looked at the git repository, but was wondering what the
> > best way is to run through trying to build packages and what not.
> >

> I (or, rather, 2ndQuadrant) also have access to POWER7 machines at OSU OSL
> that can be used to build ppc64 packages for Linux on POWER, in case anyone
> expresses interest in this.

I talked with Devrim during last pgconf.eu about the opportunity to have IBM
providing a POWER server and even some feedback about their gcc toolkit,
optimized for POWER7 and POWER8.

I had no answers to my mails since then, when trying to get people from IBM in
touch with Devrim :(

I have sometimes found that working with IBM directly not to be the best way to do things, especially by email. Working through IBM partners and getting the partners to handle co-ordination with IBM via their established relationships often works best.

In the case of POWER for open source use, the Oregon State University Open Source Lab (OSU OSL) is a good starting point. I can vouch for their excellent support and infrastructure first-hand.

2ndQuadrant has three POWER7 LPARs with OSU OSL, one of which is on Fedora 21. So mock-building packages would not be a problem. I can't offer individual build hosts for non-mocked builds, though, as there are just too many target OSes.

Re: adding a new platform

From
Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
Date:
On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 18:37:02 +0800
Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 21 April 2015 at 18:21, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr@dalibo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 10:01:21 +0800
> > Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> > > I (or, rather, 2ndQuadrant) also have access to POWER7 machines at OSU
> > OSL
> > > that can be used to build ppc64 packages for Linux on POWER, in case
> > anyone
> > > expresses interest in this.
> >
> > I talked with Devrim during last pgconf.eu about the opportunity to have
> > IBM
> > providing a POWER server and even some feedback about their gcc toolkit,
> > optimized for POWER7 and POWER8.
> >
> > I had no answers to my mails since then, when trying to get people from
> > IBM in
> > touch with Devrim :(
> >

> I have sometimes found that working with IBM directly not to be the best
> way to do things, especially by email. Working through IBM partners and
> getting the partners to handle co-ordination with IBM via their established
> relationships often works best.

Here, my IBM contact was actually quite available and prompt to answer.

> In the case of POWER for open source use, the Oregon State University Open
> Source Lab (OSU OSL) is a good starting point. I can vouch for their
> excellent support and infrastructure first-hand.

The IBM contact was actually pointing to this program. The
only issue I could find about it is that only POWER7 plateform were available,
no POWER8.

> 2ndQuadrant has three POWER7 LPARs with OSU OSL, one of which is on Fedora
> 21. So mock-building packages would not be a problem. I can't offer
> individual build hosts for non-mocked builds, though, as there are just too
> many target OSes.

Devrim explained he needs a root access to such a server to be able to install
and monitor various things and integrate the server to his buildfarm. AFAIR,
this was the point we were trying to discuss when we lost contact...

--

Date:
Devrim explained he needs a root access to such a server to be able to install
and monitor various things and integrate the server to his buildfarm. AFAIR,
this was the point we were trying to discuss when we lost contact...

That's really where we need to start switching to using 'mock' for package builds. It shouldn't be necessary to install dependencies locally on build workers, or even have them run the same OS version as the package target.

I've prepared this for the postgresql package its self, which is one of the more complex ones. I'll have to update the spec file and re-send it to the list.

Re: adding a new platform

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi Mark,

On Mon, 2015-04-20 at 15:11 -0700, Mark Wong wrote:

> I have access to a z13 mainframe and would like to explore getting
> packages built for the yum repository for Linux on z (as opposed to
> z/OS.)  I've looked at the git repository, but was wondering what the
> best way is to run through trying to build packages and what not.

The machine should be under postgresql.org sysadmin control, and should
only be accessed by the package builders (currently me and Jeff), for
security reasons . Are these doable?

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: adding a new platform

From
Mark Wong
Date:
Hi Devrim,

On 04/21/2015 05:12 AM, Devrim Gündüz wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> On Mon, 2015-04-20 at 15:11 -0700, Mark Wong wrote:
>
>> I have access to a z13 mainframe and would like to explore getting
>> packages built for the yum repository for Linux on z (as opposed to
>> z/OS.)  I've looked at the git repository, but was wondering what the
>> best way is to run through trying to build packages and what not.
>
> The machine should be under postgresql.org sysadmin control, and should
> only be accessed by the package builders (currently me and Jeff), for
> security reasons . Are these doable?

I will get answers to that and get back to you as soon as I can.

Regards,
Mark
--

Date:
On 04/21/2015 03:51 AM, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 18:37:02 +0800
> Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
>> On 21 April 2015 at 18:21, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr@dalibo.com>
>> wrote:

>>> OSL
>>> anyone
>>>
>>> I talked with Devrim during last pgconf.eu about the opportunity to have
>>> IBM
>>> providing a POWER server and even some feedback about their gcc toolkit,
>>> optimized for POWER7 and POWER8.
>>>
>>> I had no answers to my mails since then, when trying to get people from
>>> IBM in
>>> touch with Devrim :(
>>>
>> In the case of POWER for open source use, the Oregon State University Open
>> Source Lab (OSU OSL) is a good starting point. I can vouch for their
>> excellent support and infrastructure first-hand.
>
> The IBM contact was actually pointing to this program. The
> only issue I could find about it is that only POWER7 plateform were available,
> no POWER8.
>
>> 2ndQuadrant has three POWER7 LPARs with OSU OSL, one of which is on Fedora
>> 21. So mock-building packages would not be a problem. I can't offer
>> individual build hosts for non-mocked builds, though, as there are just too
>> many target OSes.
>
> Devrim explained he needs a root access to such a server to be able to install
> and monitor various things and integrate the server to his buildfarm. AFAIR,
> this was the point we were trying to discuss when we lost contact...

I recommend using the request form at OSUOSL to ask for instances:
http://osuosl.org/services/powerdev/request_hosting

The general information is here, for reference, which says POWER8 is
available now:
http://osuosl.org/services/powerdev

They also have their own irc channel (#osuosl on Freenode) if you want
to ask questions there.

I've had a very minimal LPAR for the builfarm and I am imagining that
not a huge amount of resources are required for building the RPMs so I'm
hoping it would be easy to get access.

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark Wong                                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, RemoteDBA, Training & Services

Re: adding a new platform

From
Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
Date:
On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 07:16:12 -0700
Mark Wong <mark@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 04/21/2015 03:51 AM, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 18:37:02 +0800
> > Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> >> In the case of POWER for open source use, the Oregon State University Open
> >> Source Lab (OSU OSL) is a good starting point. I can vouch for their
> >> excellent support and infrastructure first-hand.
> >
> > The IBM contact was actually pointing to this program. The
> > only issue I could find about it is that only POWER7 plateform were
> > available, no POWER8.
> >
> >> 2ndQuadrant has three POWER7 LPARs with OSU OSL, one of which is on Fedora
> >> 21. So mock-building packages would not be a problem. I can't offer
> >> individual build hosts for non-mocked builds, though, as there are just too
> >> many target OSes.
> >
> > Devrim explained he needs a root access to such a server to be able to
> > install and monitor various things and integrate the server to his
> > buildfarm. AFAIR, this was the point we were trying to discuss when we lost
> > contact...
>
> I recommend using the request form at OSUOSL to ask for instances:
> http://osuosl.org/services/powerdev/request_hosting
>
> The general information is here, for reference, which says POWER8 is
> available now:
> http://osuosl.org/services/powerdev

Great news!

> They also have their own irc channel (#osuosl on Freenode) if you want
> to ask questions there.
>
> I've had a very minimal LPAR for the builfarm and I am imagining that
> not a huge amount of resources are required for building the RPMs so I'm
> hoping it would be easy to get access.

Devrim, what can I do to help on this projet? Would you like me to request for
an instance, get all informations, make sure we have enough access, then get in
sync with you?

Cheers,

Re: adding a new platform

From
Mark Wong
Date:
Hi everyone,

On 04/21/2015 05:12 AM, Devrim Gündüz wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> On Mon, 2015-04-20 at 15:11 -0700, Mark Wong wrote:
>
>> I have access to a z13 mainframe and would like to explore getting
>> packages built for the yum repository for Linux on z (as opposed to
>> z/OS.)  I've looked at the git repository, but was wondering what the
>> best way is to run through trying to build packages and what not.
>
> The machine should be under postgresql.org sysadmin control, and should
> only be accessed by the package builders (currently me and Jeff), for
> security reasons . Are these doable?

I forgot to ask, is it ok to use LXC to run the different distros we
want to build packages for?  Or if there was a preference?

Regards,
Mark

Re: adding a new platform

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi,

On Tue, 2015-04-21 at 12:21 +0200, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:
> I talked with Devrim during last pgconf.eu about the opportunity to
> have IBM
> providing a POWER server and even some feedback about their gcc
> toolkit,
> optimized for POWER7 and POWER8.
>
> I had no answers to my mails since then, when trying to get people
> from IBM in
> touch with Devrim :(
>
> Devrim, maybe my emails landed in your spam ? Or did I miss
> something ?

Sorry, I just failed to reply them :-( Apologies. Can you restart that
thread, so that I can respond quickly? I have some cycles nowadays.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: adding a new platform

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi,

On Tue, 2015-04-21 at 16:34 +0200, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:

> Devrim, what can I do to help on this projet? Would you like me to
> request for an instance, get all informations, make sure we have
> enough access, then get in sync with you?

We need to coordinate this with our infrastructure team (CC'ed now), so
that they know what is going on in here. Having a build instance will do
all the trick, for sure.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: [sysadmins] adding a new platform

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 8:29 AM, Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, 2015-04-21 at 16:34 +0200, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:

> Devrim, what can I do to help on this projet? Would you like me to
> request for an instance, get all informations, make sure we have
> enough access, then get in sync with you?

We need to coordinate this with our infrastructure team (CC'ed now), so
that they know what is going on in here. Having a build instance will do
all the trick, for sure.

I think maybe you cut a little bit too much out of that email. All we know now is that there is something happening that we should know that it's going on, and that it has something to do with a platform :)

--

Re: adding a new platform

From
Mark Wong
Date:
On 04/21/2015 05:12 AM, Devrim Gündüz wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> On Mon, 2015-04-20 at 15:11 -0700, Mark Wong wrote:
>
>> I have access to a z13 mainframe and would like to explore getting
>> packages built for the yum repository for Linux on z (as opposed to
>> z/OS.)  I've looked at the git repository, but was wondering what the
>> best way is to run through trying to build packages and what not.
>
> The machine should be under postgresql.org sysadmin control, and should
> only be accessed by the package builders (currently me and Jeff), for
> security reasons . Are these doable?

Does anyone have a strong opinion on whether the s/390 RPMs are built on
native z system hardware, or whether we use the Hercules emulator?  And
if the ladder is ok, is that something that would fit on the systems
postgresql.org already has?

Regards,
Mark

Re: adding a new platform

From
Mark Wong
Date:
Hi Devrim,

On 04/21/2015 05:12 AM, Devrim Gündüz wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> On Mon, 2015-04-20 at 15:11 -0700, Mark Wong wrote:
>
>> I have access to a z13 mainframe and would like to explore getting
>> packages built for the yum repository for Linux on z (as opposed to
>> z/OS.)  I've looked at the git repository, but was wondering what the
>> best way is to run through trying to build packages and what not.
>
> The machine should be under postgresql.org sysadmin control, and should
> only be accessed by the package builders (currently me and Jeff), for
> security reasons . Are these doable?

I've chatted with someone at IBM and they should be able to give you
your own instance, but they don't believe they can give us a whole
system.  I'm not sure where we would host it either. :)

Does that work?

Regards,
Mark